Corsair Community

LL120 suddenly flickering

Hi,

I got a problem with my fan setup.

I use 6x LL120. 3x LL120 on the Commander Pro, 3x LL120 on h150i pro.

I got 2x RGB Hub. One for the LL120, one for the SP on the 570x.

Additionally I use a Lightning Node Pro for the LED Stripes.

About a week ago Fan 5 and 6 (hooked to Commander Pro) began to flicker. Didnt change my setup recently. The last change was in late november when I bought the h150i and used 3 LL on it (which were connected to the Commander Pro before)

On Spiral Rainbow 5 and 6 flicker a lot.

On Instant Lighting, if I chose red, 5 becomes red/blue and 6 stays blue.

If I chose green, 5 and 6 blink red - green - red - green.

On white the fans have a little led spot in a different color.

I first thaught the problem was a fan problem so I contacted amazon and got a replacement. Same problem with the fans. So I changed the RGB Hub as well but same problem with 5 and 6.

I disabled fast startup as I read somewhere it could cause a problem.

No idea what to do now, any help is welcome!

thx :)

Edit: icue and all the hardware is on the latest firmware.

Edited by Enjieru
  • Confused 1

My configuration is very similar, and experiencing the exact same issues with nearly the exact same timeframe.

(3) LL120s plugged into a Fan hub which (I believe) is plugged into a Commander Pro. This is by memory, as the PC is wall-mounted and I'd have to take it down to confirm.

2 of the 3 fans flickering constantly. Currently using "Arc" Lighting style with white/black. When flicker occurs, small segment of lights on each fan (2 or 3 LEDs) change to a random color then back to white. Choosing a "Temperature" setup makes everything crazy.

iCue has been updated to latest and greatest, and firmware confirmed to be latest.

• Confused 1

Same sort of issue here. 3 LL 120 RGB's, hooked into the provided Lighting Node Pro, then into the Commander Pro. Fan 1 is fine for now, and 2 and 3 have either 1 or 2 LED's malfunctioning. Can't use any sort of animation at all or they go haywire. Set on static color for now (white) and there is a green, an orange, and an orange flickering LED.

• 2 weeks later...

Support told me to uninstall all other lighting related programs.

Still didnt work - a day after it suddenly worked normal.

Since today the problem is back.

Flickering and on white green/red spots plus some other crazy color problems.

Same fans as before...

Edited by Enjieru

I have a similar issue, when it is doing anything with shifting colors it is super obvious it is flickering or randomly restarting. Even with static colors I occasionally see a fan turn off an LED and then turn it back on (and an LED strip also fully turns off occasionally when set to static, if it is animating it has the same loop bug as the fans). I feel like it got worse recently (not sure if this is due to some bug in the iCue software), as I hadn't really noticed anything like this and then suddenly it was terrible and happened all the time.

My setup is 6 LL fans and 4 RGB LED lighting strips hooked through a combination of a single Lighting Node Pro and a Commander PRO.

Edited by SinOfHeart

same issue here. PC was built maybe 6 months ago and the LEDs on all 6 LL fans worked like a jewel.... until a couple weeks ago. The most aggravating part? it randomly goes back to working as designed with no change by me. However, if i were to restart my pc or turn it off and boot it back up, only 1 fan appears to work without defect at all times. the other 5 fans go haywire, flicking rainbow vomit with no apparent pattern. 30 minutes later, I'll look over and lo and behold, the lighting is functioning properly again. Personally, i think too many of us are having this same problem in too many different configurations for it to be a hardware problem or user error. I'm chalking it up to a software problem that Corsair, while they may be working toward a resolution, refuses to openly admit the possibility of it being the software causing the issue.

PS: my problem persists through both Link+CUE2 and iCUE.

Edit: Here it is, working, just as it should

https://media.giphy.com/media/39vn71eN5gySZ2Karh/giphy.gif

Edited by bww306195

Here's a video of my 5 and 6 fans flickering, all my other fans seem to be fined. I do notice that after a while of my PC being turn on they don't represent themselves back and my profiles play as normal.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

In the video it flickers two times.

Edited by ThatsDirty
forgot some words

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Jumping in to report exactly the same problems here. Corsair 500D SE with 6 LL120 fans on commander pro with node. My #2 fan has one led that flickers interrupting the sequence animation across fans and tons of inconsistent behavior. On static blue, that #2 fan has a flickering led that seems to be running an animation of its own cycling through colors.

Has support been silent on this?

I am someone else who has this exact same issue, but I have done some extensive troubleshooting. I want to share with everyone what I found since I have read countless threads and posts and CORSAIR has shown very little concern about this, which is highly disconcerting since this fans are not cheap.

I have:

H150i Pro

6 LL 120mm RGB Fans

4 LED Strips

1 Lighting Node Pro

1 RGB Fan LED hub

All 6 fans are connected to the RGB Fan LED Hub which then connected to the Lighting Node Pro and the 4 LED Strips are connected Directly to the Lighting Node Pro.

I had 5 out of 6 fans start flickering constantly on my if I have any kind of pattern going. If i selected a static color, say red, 2 of the 5 were half red half purple. The other three were a blue-ish purple. I tried all the suggestions about using older software and firmware. Even trying to go back to the old Corsair LINK software the fans still had the same issue. I finally decided to play around with the order in which the fans were plugged into the fan hub. Long story short, I was able to get 5 out of the 6 fans working just fine. it appears that the cause is a bad fan. ended up is the bad fan in the #6 port. If I plugged it in anywhere else in the line, it would cause 4 of the other fans to flicker as well. Putting it back at the end made everything work fine except for the one fan.

I can't verify it is truly because of a bad fan issue, because I don't have any spare LL120's laying around, but it seems fairly likely that this is the cause of at least my issue.

I will try and RMA the fan with Corsair and update this post with the results when I have them.

Hope this helps someone, because if you are anything like me, this issue and lack of any kind of solution from Corairs on it is driving you F-ing crazy.

Update:

This is indeed a fan problem. Not a firmware, Lighting Node Pro, or anything else people are guessing at online problem. Follow what I did above to help you troubleshoot your problem. If you think you know which fan is the culprit, place it in the 6th port and then all others should work fine with the exception of the bad fan. Then contact Corsair and RMA it.

Good Luck,

Steel Reign

Edited by Steel Reign
Update

I am someone else who has this exact same issue, but I have done some extensive troubleshooting. I want to share with everyone what I found since I have read countless threads and posts and CORSAIR has shown very little concern about this, which is highly disconcerting since this fans are not cheap.

I have:

H150i Pro

6 LL 120mm RGB Fans

4 LED Strips

1 Lighting Node Pro

1 RGB Fan LED hub

All 6 fans are connected to the RGB Fan LED Hub which then connected to the Lighting Node Pro and the 4 LED Strips are connected Directly to the Lighting Node Pro.

I had 5 out of 6 fans start flickering constantly on my if I have any kind of pattern going. If i selected a static color, say red, 2 of the 5 were half red half purple. The other three were a blue-ish purple. I tried all the suggestions about using older software and firmware. Even trying to go back to the old Corsair LINK software the fans still had the same issue. I finally decided to play around with the order in which the fans were plugged into the fan hub. Long story short, I was able to get 5 out of the 6 fans working just fine. it appears that the cause is a bad fan. ended up is the bad fan in the #6 port. If I plugged it in anywhere else in the line, it would cause 4 of the other fans to flicker as well. Putting it back at the end made everything work fine except for the one fan.

I can't verify it is truly because of a bad fan issue, because I don't have any spare LL120's laying around, but it seems fairly likely that this is the cause of at least my issue.

I will try and RMA the fan with Corsair and update this post with the results when I have them.

Hope this helps someone, because if you are anything like me, this issue and lack of any kind of solution from Corairs on it is driving you F-ing crazy.

Update:

This is indeed a fan problem. Not a firmware, Lighting Node Pro, or anything else people are guessing at online problem. Follow what I did above to help you troubleshoot your problem. If you think you know which fan is the culprit, place it in the 6th port and then all others should work fine with the exception of the bad fan. Then contact Corsair and RMA it.

Good Luck,

Steel Reign

Glad you got yours working in the end. I replaced all my fans and commander pro still got same problem so this still leaves me to believe it's the software, theres no way all the stuff I replaced is faulty also.

• 1 month later...

I have:

H150i Pro

6 LL 120mm RGB Fans

4 LED Strips

1 Lighting Node Pro

1 RGB Fan LED hub

Update:

Good Luck,

Steel Reign

most definetly NOT a fan problem! its iCUE related the last update destroyed my 3 LL120's RGB to bits and pieces! not a single RGB problem BEFORE UPDATE!

most definetly NOT a fan problem! its iCUE related the last update destroyed my 3 LL120's RGB to bits and pieces! not a single RGB problem BEFORE UPDATE!

Why are you telling someone else what there problem “isn’t” after they have already solved it? Flickering is a condition with multiple potential causes. One person could have a bad wire, poor connection, bad fan in the series, defective RGB hub... anything in the current pathway to disrupt the signal. There is no single fix or cause for flickering anymore than failing to boot is always because of component X.

If you think iCUE is the problem, start a new thread with your details in that section. Try a repair install of the program or roll back to the prior version. That should help indicate whether it is a software issue or not.

Here are a few of the common troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve a RGB lighting issue.

Hardware:

1.) Double check all connections to power, USB and RGB data lines.

2.) Be sure you aren't using too many USB devices per USB controller.

3.) If you are using a USB hub connect the device directly to the motherboard USB to test.

4.) Try moving RGB connections on the RGB hub (or Lighting Node Core) to a new port. Only do this when the PC is off. If the Lighting issue persists on the last fan in the chain it's likely the hub, but if the lighting issue gets worse it’s likely the first fan that presents the problem.

Software:

1.) -Close all RGB control and monitoring programs

-Restart iCUE

2.) Check for any firmware updates for your device

3.) -Update iCUE, we add patches and fixes for bugs all of the time.

-Force update firmware of the device if issue persists

4.) -Uninstall iCUE

-Clear your %AppData% folders of Corsair folders

-Install the latest version of iCUE

-Reboot your PC

5.) Check your device manager for any missing or nonworking drivers

If none of those steps work, please reach out to customer support at support.corsair.com and they would be happy to help you.

• 2 weeks later...
Here are a few of the common troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve a RGB lighting issue.

Hardware:

1.) Double check all connections to power, USB and RGB data lines.

2.) Be sure you aren't using too many USB devices per USB controller.

3.) If you are using a USB hub connect the device directly to the motherboard USB to test.

4.) Try moving RGB connections on the RGB hub (or Lighting Node Core) to a new port. Only do this when the PC is off. If the Lighting issue persists on the last fan in the chain it's likely the hub, but if the lighting issue gets worse it’s likely the first fan that presents the problem.

Software:

1.) -Close all RGB control and monitoring programs

-Restart iCUE

2.) Check for any firmware updates for your device

3.) -Update iCUE, we add patches and fixes for bugs all of the time.

-Force update firmware of the device if issue persists

4.) -Uninstall iCUE

-Clear your %AppData% folders of Corsair folders

-Install the latest version of iCUE

-Reboot your PC

5.) Check your device manager for any missing or nonworking drivers

If none of those steps work, please reach out to customer support at support.corsair.com and they would be happy to help you.

My LL120's were working perfectly until today. Now it's always doing this annoying flickering thing and I'm sure it's a software issue because when I end the program or service in task manager, the colors sometimes revert or not.

I was thinking it was a software issue, now i'm beginning to believe it's just a fan issue, because once I disconnected all of my fans from the hub, and began to connect them one by one, I was able to narrow down the problem fan, and as long as that one wasn't #1-5, it wouldn't be able to interrupt the rest. I guess I can RMA this one?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok can someone explain this -

[ame=https://youtu.be/6-nBR51drEA]https://youtu.be/6-nBR51drEA[/ame]

I re-installed Windows 10 a few weeks ago and ever since that, this has been happening to my fans. I've tried reinstalling software and force updating the firmware on my Commander Pro. My LED strips, water pump and RAM RGB's are behaving perfectly fine. I have changed lighting channels too. My only issue could be the Corsair RGB splitter box that is connected to the Commander Pro has mysteriously broke when re-installing Windows? :sigh!:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

UnexpectedGreg.

I guess im going to try swapping some fans connections around to troubleshoot this problem too, because ive tried all the other suggestions on the software/firmware side. My whole system is relatively new and I have 6 LL series fans running in my 500D SE case and all of a sudden the 5th and 6th fans just totally tweak out and go crazy if i set them to anything other than a static color. Im guessing that maybe some sort of fault developed in fan 5 and thats causing 6 to display the same weird , buggy behavior with the lightning. The "flickering" im experiencing isnt like what ive seen in most other people's videos, with the occasional bright flicker. The problem seems to be when they try to transition between any colors or patterns. They go beserk, quickly flashing and flickering all sorts colors that theyre not suppose to.

Over the past week, i could have sworn i saw an odd flicker out of the corner of my eye while sitting across the room from my PC. Now tonight I turned on my Pc and those two fans were just going crazy as soon as it started up. Looks like there may be an RMA in my future. Because yeah, these fans are expensive and I havent had them long. Havent gotten to get on my PC much in the last few month either. Been so busy. Finally have some free time to get on here and enjoy, only to discover this headache!

I just recently picked up a shiny new K95 Plat on a great sale too... grr!

Actually, for some reason i didnt see the post @UnexpectedGreg made! Thats pretty much exactly what my two fans are doing! Just going nuts like that.

Edited by SinisterDev
additional info

Looks like I found the culprit! I didn't realize it from the angle i was originally inspecting the lights from, but tonight I really got a good look inside, and discovered that a couple leds on the ring of fan number 4, which was causing fan 5 and 6 to bug out like crazy. I even had a spare lightning node here to test just in case. In both tests, when i swapped no. 4 to the 6th slot, both my no 5 and 6 fan's LEDs behaved normally again! So im pretty positive now that I'll have to RMA this one LL140 fan.

Ok can someone explain this -

https://youtu.be/6-nBR51drEA

I re-installed Windows 10 a few weeks ago and ever since that, this has been happening to my fans. I've tried reinstalling software and force updating the firmware on my Commander Pro. My LED strips, water pump and RAM RGB's are behaving perfectly fine. I have changed lighting channels too. My only issue could be the Corsair RGB splitter box that is connected to the Commander Pro has mysteriously broke when re-installing Windows? :sigh!:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

UnexpectedGreg.

UnexpectedGreg, thanks for your video upload! That's what gave me the idea to perform this trial and error test. For your situation,since all of your fans are displaying the same behavior as 3 of mine were, Its quite possible that your no. 1 slot fan has some LEDS gone bad and they're effecting your entire chain of fans.

Try shutting everything down and swapping around your led connectors on your lighting node, starting with swapping your no 1 fan connector with the last one in your chain. If all the other fans behave normally after that, but the one still bugs out,. Then you've found your culprit!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi guys, first post. I purchased the 3 fan kit LL120 and had the flickering problems right away. My profiles are layered up including many temperature setting lights etc. I googled this issue and came to this forum. I tried swapping etc. but didn't seem to work. Then decided to clear the profile and start from scratch. Problem solved. Hopefully it is that simple for you as well. This is a software problem (in my case), however it was caused from too many conflicting LED setups, patterns or effects coming from my K95 Platinum and/or M65 PRO fighting for the fan LED's with LIGHTING LINK.

• 3 weeks later...

Heya all.

My girlfriends band new pc had the issue about the fans would flicker and act up like crazy all of the sudden and i did some troubleshooting.

Checked Sata power, even switched it to its own separate power cable to eliminate the possibility of a too low power. Even going so far as to take out GPU

Factory reset the commander pro

Unplug almost all USB cables to make sure it was not windows who messed up the USB connections

Total clean install of iCUE

At the end did i do 1 last thing and found the issue. I unplugged the each fan RGB header one by one on the RGB Lighting Hub. For each fan i disconnected did i watch the others fans for a while to see if they became stable. Ended up with the last fan(Port 1) which would still act up. I disconnected that one too and put one of the other fans in port 1. Evey thing worked perfectly on that one(Which it didn't before). So i plugged in the previous fan again (the bad one) and i would act up straight away. Then i swapped the bad fan one over to port 2 and an other to port 1 and the one in port 1 worked fine, but the one in port 2 would still flicker and act strange. I disconnected the bad one and plugged in all the others and everything worked.

Strange enough. If the bad fan was placed in port 1-5 all the other fans who followed in the next port would act up. But if i placed it in only port 6 and all the other good fans in port 1-5 it would only be the bad fan who would flicker and act up.

Hope this helps someone out there who are getting crazy of why this is happening.

Kinds regards Roxane.