Corsair Community

Commander pro, use as just a fan hub

dchalfont

So I wanted to have an wasy to use lighting system with my 570x that didn't require the use of software control.

I chose the 570x and another 3 pack of sp120 fans. I didn't want fans that require software to work in sync by default.

Now I see that the z370 gaming 5 motherboard I bought has only 4 fan headers...so I am forced to buy a fan hub for power or fan splitters.

A waste of money considering the commander pro can do it all and if down the line I decide to get better rgb fans I can use it for that too.

But for now....is it possible to simply connect all fans to it, and just plug it in to the motherbord so I can set a fixed fanspeed on the motherboard and never have to install or run the software, as I intend to use the case buttons only for lighting and if possible or by necessity, will keep the case leds not connected to the commander pro for the power only and use the led fan hub that comes with the case to maintain hardware contol of the fans.

Or is it possible to swap out the case fan led controller for the commander pro and still use the hardware controls for the lights eg. The case buttons. Or does using the commander pro mean you can no longer use the case lighting controls?

TLDR. I want tp power the fans with the commander pro and control the 6 sp120 rgb fans with the controls on the case only.

Can this be done if the commander pro replaces the default led hub. Or do I have to use the default hub for lighting and use commander pro separate to maintain case control of lighting.

And can you use motherboard fan curves etc with the commander pro...does it connect to the mobo with a fan header or does it only connect with a usb header....also, if so, is it possible to use a fan header, sata power, and just not use the usb header of I don't want software control with the commander pro?

Thanks

The Commander Pro doesn't use the motherboard fan headers or connect to them at all. It uses its own fan curves that you configure in Link. It also has 4 additional temperature sensors that can be used as the temperature source for those fan curves.

What I don't know is if those fan curves will be used if the Link software isn't running or if it will just use the default fan curves.

If you don't want software control of the fans and do want to use the physical case controls, there is no reason to get a Commander Pro. It's purpose is to do the opposite of what you want - software integration and move fans off the motherboard. I do not know for sure if the C-Pro can still be connected back into the case controls, but I suspect not. The C-pro connects on the same line as is used to connect to the case. I don't think it can be done in series.

Simple splitters are cheap and effective way to get what you want.

• 2 months later...
its a plan...

here is my set up for your future reference should you head down the LINK road ;)...

QaJwdUKh.jpg

Hey Zotty, that’s an awesome diagram it really helped me out. I actually have one question. I plan on using the Corsair H115i Pro 360mm. What I need to know it that on that unit they’re is a cable that is supposed to go onto the cpu header on the motherboard. In this scenario do I still need to connect to the CPU header on the motherboard or do I use an existing port on the pro.

Hey Zotty, that’s an awesome diagram it really helped me out. I actually have one question. I plan on using the Corsair H115i Pro 360mm. What I need to know it that on that unit they’re is a cable that is supposed to go onto the cpu header on the motherboard. In this scenario do I still need to connect to the CPU header on the motherboard or do I use an existing port on the pro.

Well, the 115i PRO is 280mm, the 150i PRO is 360mm. But ... regardless of which one you wind up getting, both have a fan connection that connects to the CPU Fan header. It serves no purpose except to provide a fan tach signal (RPM) to the motherboard so that you don't get a CPU Fan warning from the BIOS.

There would be no point in connecting it to the CoPro and no advantage to doing so.

Well, the 115i PRO is 280mm, the 150i PRO is 360mm. But ... regardless of which one you wind up getting, both have a fan connection that connects to the CPU Fan header. It serves no purpose except to provide a fan tach signal (RPM) to the motherboard so that you don't get a CPU Fan warning from the BIOS.

There would be no point in connecting it to the CoPro and no advantage to doing so.

Ok so are your u saying just connect the wire to the CPU fan header on the motherboard just so that I don’t get the no fan warning every time I restart the computer?

Ok so are your u saying just connect the wire to the CPU fan header on the motherboard just so that I don’t get the no fan warning every time I restart the computer?

Yup. The Pro coolers are SATA powered so that's all that connection does. it has no other purpose in life.

• 1 year later...
Yup. The Pro coolers are SATA powered so that's all that connection does. it has no other purpose in life.

A while back when I was researching temperature readings for the H115i, I read something on the forums that suggested that I needed to connect the H115i to the CPU fan header in order to allow iCUE to read the water temperature of the H115i.

Is that not true?

I'm still learning about much of this.

Thanks,

-deer

A while back when I was researching temperature readings for the H115i, I read something on the forums that suggested that I needed to connect the H115i to the CPU fan header in order to allow iCUE to read the water temperature of the H115i.

Is that not true?

I'm still learning about much of this.

Thanks,

-deer

No, that's absolutely not true at all. The connection to the CPU_FAN header is there to prevent the CPU_FAN warning from the BIOS. The temp data (as well as pump and fan speed data) is read from the USB connection.

• 1 year later...