Corsair Community

ML 120 Pro Not Spinning

Cmac19187

Bought an ML 120 a few years back and just hooked it up to my new build. In the old PC it ran just fine but I never used any software to run it. In the new build it is getting power (lit up) but does not spin. It also does not appear in iCue as a detected device (it never used to on the old PC, I got iCue when I purchased a Corsair headset).

Wondering how I can go about getting this case fan to spin. It is detected in my BIOS, but has a fan speed of 0RPM and I can't see an option to tell it to spin in the MOBO. It is connected directly to the MOBO as there's only the one 4pin connector cable on the fan. This is also how it was connected on my old build.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Is this a ML Pro LED (white/red/blue)? All the ML fans are PWM motors and thus require a PWM 12v signal. It might not start if on a header set to DC with a low voltage (fan speed). I would be a bit surprised if any B450 had some DC only fan headers. Most these days are dual DC/PWM. You can tell right away if it has 4 pins.

Not too many motherboards have a 0 rpm fan mode in their headers. If it won't spin no matter what header you connect to, there is likely a problem with the fan. Usually its the wire, but it could also be the motor itself. Now that I think about it, if this a ML-LED, it will light up even when in zero mode on a control header. So if it does not light up or spin, it's probably the wire.

I will only show up in iCUE as part of the motherboard display on the dashboard. That part is not relevant to its functionality.

If it lights up, it has 12v power. You can try setting the BIOS fan controls to 100% to make sure it has voltage, but the LED would be really dim or flickering if did not. Starting to look like a problem with the motor.

Update for anyone still following this; I tried troubleshooting by flipping the CPU fan connector into the SYS fan slot and putting the case fan into the CPU fan slot to see if that helped. The CPU fan continued to spin but the case fan did not. Busted motor is looking good now :(