Corsair Community

PSU Cable Compatibility

Shonk

Hi

I currently have a Corsair HX Series™ HX750 Power Supply — 750 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold

SKU CP-9020031

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/hx-series-config/p/CP-9020031-UK

and am replacing it with a Corsair HXi Series™ HX1200i High-Performance ATX Power Supply — 1200 Watt 80 Plus® PLATINUM

SKU CP-9020070

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/hxi-series-config/p/CP-9020070-UK

I have looked at

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/psu-cable-compatibility

but its confusing at best and want to make sure 100%

Are my PSU Cables interchangeable

thanks in advance

The way i am reading it is

they both accept type 3 and type 4

so its fine?

Why does the HX1200i only use 1 x 8 pin on the psu for 2 x 8 pin for the gpu

I Would be better using 2 x spare single ones from my HX750 being as im only using 1 gpu would i not?

my gpu is very greedy and pulls upto 350W so would rather not use a shared cable (GPU only Power Draw e.g its higher at the psu after hbm2 and pcb)

Also can i go the other way and use an 8-pin EPS12V cable from the hx1200i and plug it into a spare blue 8 pin port on the back of my hx750 to populate both of my 8-pin EPS12V Sockets on my motherboard?

Edited by Shonk

350W is only about 30A. You should actually be OK with that on a single connector (OCP is at 40A).

The HX1200 only comes with two EPS/ATX (CPU) cables. It also has 6 total outputs for PCIe/CPU cables. So there's no need to plug it into the HX750.

BTW - I have an HX1200i. It's powering a ThreadRipper 2950X, an 1080Ti and a Vega56 plus a boat load of RGB. It doesn't even breath hard.

Hi im mainly asking for confirmation from corsair to 100% cover myself

but thanks for replying

Im not asking if they should be able to handle it corsair included them with the HX1200i so they must think they are upto it but graphics cards supply 2 8 pins for a reason

and using the included split off 8 pin is just the same as plugging in 1 8 pin into the gpu

I have 4 x Spare Single HX/TXM PCIE Braided cables sitting here doing nothing (As i have 2 HX750 PSU's)

they also look far higher wire gauge than the ones that come with the HX1200i

so I Would be better using 2 x spare single ones from my HX750 for the HX1200i would i not?

with regards to

"Also can i go the other way and use an 8-pin EPS12V cable from the hx1200i and plug it into a spare blue 8 pin port on the back of my hx750 to populate both of my 8-pin EPS12V Sockets on my motherboard? "

I know the HX1200i comes with 2 8-pin EPS12V cables so thats fine

But the HX750 Gold only comes with 1 x 8-pinEPS12V Non Modular

i was just curios if i could if desired use one of my 8-pin EPS12V modular from the HX1200i cables on the HX750 Gold to add a second EPS12V for my motherboard

(e.g. in another pc) (im not going to do this but want to know if i could which i suspect is yes)

with regards to power my HX750 Gold covers my build just fine and is 100% stable

but is on the high end of its use case when fully loaded on the gpu and cpu

the reasoning behind upgrading to the HX1200i Plat is for monitoring and hitting the sweet spot for noise/efficiency

if i fully load my cpu with an avx load it uses well over 200w on its own

fully loaded gpu is around 400w for the whole graphics card

then add the ssd's,motherboard,ram,fans and such you looking well over 700w

Edited by Shonk

The 2 8 pin connectors are because the power delivery side has limitations on the current that can be delivered via the connector. It can still be on a single line from the PSU, which has a different (and higher) current limit.

If you want each one on separate rails, there's no problem with that. It's just not necessary.

The HXi and the HX Gold are compatible. See https://www.corsair.com/us/en/psu-cable-compatibility.

And ... if you want "official" confirmation from Corsair, submit a support ticket. This is a user's forum. While Corsair employees do answer some questions here, that's not the main purpose of this forum.