Corsair Community

Corsair LL RGB Fans and Asus Aura Addressable Headers

MCWarriorz

I'm currently pursuing an extensive RGB build and I want to use Asus Aura as my main RGB platform for maximum RGB syncage. I am aware that the LL fans are only supposed to be used with Corsair Link, however, I did some digging around and found that the Corsair HD RGB Fans use WS2812B LEDs which in theory would be compatible with some of Asus's newer motherboards which have addressable RGB headers with 5V, Data, and Ground. I'm wondering if I could potentially connect LL fans into this addressable header and if Asus Aura would work with that.

https://gyazo.com/c8038cb12d4896f430bf58c71121eaef

Please let me know, thanks!

If that works (and I doubt that it will), it won't be supported. And you'd likely still need a fan hub. The fans take 4 pin cables, not 3.

MSI does have board with a dedicated "Corsair" header that would support the RGB strips and possibly the fan hub.

One note: As much as folks complain about Link here, I've (personally) found Aura to be worse - continually crashing and sometimes consuming up to 30% of by 7700K CPU. YMMV, of course.

If that works (and I doubt that it will), it won't be supported. And you'd likely still need a fan hub. The fans take 4 pin cables, not 3.

MSI does have board with a dedicated "Corsair" header that would support the RGB strips and possibly the fan hub.

One note: As much as folks complain about Link here, I've (personally) found Aura to be worse - continually crashing and sometimes consuming up to 30% of by 7700K CPU. YMMV, of course.

30% of the CPU? Seriously? That's horrible for a software that actually no benefit lol.

The LL fans have 2 cables, maybe the RGB cable will work with the board? Like just the RGB part?

I want other motherboard, personally prefer EVGA, but they are very slow on releasing new product :[pouts: have to go with Asus :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The problem is a LL fan has 16 LEDs and numerous patterns available. Why would Asus write their software to make it compatible with this specific fan? Will they also do it for the 1000 other RGB fans out there? As mentioned, Asus finally in the last two months has managed to get a working version of Aura out there and that is for the rather simple 3 LED sections on my motherboard. That took 18 months. The December release has a gradient color effect for the first time, although limited in use. I think the 16 LED fan is a big ask. If you could somehow rig this up to interface, what kind of color options would be available? You likely would be limited to basic colors. No point in setting up LL fans if that's how it ends up. As someone operating 4 different RGB control software packages right now, my advice is to limit or simplify what your goals. Set basic effects or solid colors for the difficult items and then used the most extravagant effects on the one you notice (the fans).

I think it would work but you would have to make a cross pinned cable to do it. I don't know why there are 4 conductors on the Corsair fan LED cable and connector. They only need +5vdc, ground, and data. The AURA RGB connector (the 5 volt one not the 12 volt) is laid out as 4 pins but one pin is missing. The other 3 are +5vdc, ground, and data. You just need to make sure you get these 3 conductors connected to the correct pins on the Aura header. The 4th conductor / pin is a mystery - maybe NC or maybe another ground. An ohm meter will solve that mystery but it should be fine to just leave it NC.

As for patterns, that would be a problem but if you set it up as an LED string you should be able to use the Aura presets, such as they are, to control the LEDs in the fan. I'm not sure how the LEDs are mapped in the LL fans but if I hooked it up and setup a simple chase, it should be apparent. Unless I 'm missing something.

I happen to be in the midst of a Z370 build with an Asus Maximus X Hero wifi which has a 5vdc Aura port. I think I 'll try it. Just need to figure out the Corsair LED connector pin out. A volt meter across the pins of a Corsair LED hub output will reveal which pin is which. I 'll post back after I try it. Hopefully I won't blow anything up...

As for patterns, that would be a problem but if you set it up as an LED string you should be able to use the Aura presets, such as they are, to control the LEDs in the fan. I'm not sure how the LEDs are mapped in the LL fans but if I hooked it up and setup a simple chase, it should be apparent. Unless I 'm missing something.

It's hard to say if it is worth the effort to make your entire case do the "Glowing Yo-Yo". Maybe the Z370 boards have a more evolved LED system than my X99.

It's hard to say if it is worth the effort to make your entire case do the "Glowing Yo-Yo". Maybe the Z370 boards have a more evolved LED system than my X99.

I fooled with Aura with my X99 rig and the version I am running there looks a lot different that what I downloaded for the Z370 (v1.05.25). I was never impressed with it and I didn't like it running in the background.

I think the versoin on the Z370 rig (v1.05.25) has more pattern presets but none of them are very exciting IMHO. There probably is not anything great to be gained by connecting an LL fan to Aura, other than idle curiosity.

I just checked and there is now a version 1.05.28 so guess I will install that.

• 1 year later...
I think it would work but you would have to make a cross pinned cable to do it. I don't know why there are 4 conductors on the Corsair fan LED cable and connector. They only need +5vdc, ground, and data. The AURA RGB connector (the 5 volt one not the 12 volt) is laid out as 4 pins but one pin is missing. The other 3 are +5vdc, ground, and data. You just need to make sure you get these 3 conductors connected to the correct pins on the Aura header. The 4th conductor / pin is a mystery - maybe NC or maybe another ground. An ohm meter will solve that mystery but it should be fine to just leave it NC.

I happen to be in the midst of a Z370 build with an Asus Maximus X Hero wifi which has a 5vdc Aura port. I think I 'll try it. Just need to figure out the Corsair LED connector pin out. A volt meter across the pins of a Corsair LED hub output will reveal which pin is which. I 'll post back after I try it. Hopefully I won't blow anything up...

Hey, did you ever figure out the pin layout of the Corsair LL fans?

Did you ever pursue any of this?

I have an Asus Maximus X Hero too and was gifted a single LL140 for my rear exhaust. I don't want to have to buy more hubs and add more wires just for 1 fan. I just want basic rgb working on the fan.

Any info that you have learned would be amazing.