Corsair Community

No water flowing throughout loop.

face445

Hi! I set up my custom loop and filled it, but I might’ve left the fill port closed and did not allow air in. I tried to do a leak test but when I turn on the XD5, it just makes a sound and vibrates. I also have tried tilting the case, but no luck.

Make sure you are using the one and only outflow port on the XD5. This happens more often than you’d think. The other issue may be the Commander Pro default PWM speed. If it is a brand new C-Pro, the initial PWM speed is probably very low in a test run environment with no motherboard reported cpu temp. Pull the pump’s connector from the Commander Pro to make it run full blast. Be ready. The reservoir will empty very fast.

I just tried my XD5 and it can’t push water out of the pump it seems. As a test, I rigged up a direct outlet to inlet test and it blasts through that - but my loop is a now go. I’ve got 2 water cooled GPUs (not Corsair blocks) and my cpu. I’m pushing through a thin 360 radiator and my case forces some tight corners. I’m replacing a cracked enermax neochanger, which I put into the loop and pushes everything fine, even at low speeds. Tried tilting the case, no luck. Checked all ports and everything is connected right. Either it’s a weak pump or defective. Any ideas?

If you can hear the motor humming and vibrating it means the motor itself is working. My guess is that your motor is running dry, i.e. you have air pocket in the pump volute cavity and thus the pump isn't pushing any liquid (no flow).

You may want to try standard technique to get the pockets out - shake the whole case (or pump itself if you have soft tubing). Like said above, disconnect the PWM tacho cable from your Commander Pro and let it run on full speed if you haven't done so yet. Make sure you have installed the unit per included quick start guide.

A picture of the whole setup would be very helpful.

• Corsair Employee

Sounds like there is an air bubble which prevents the coolant to flow into the pump volute. Shake, tap to release the air bubble. Disconnect the PWM cable from any source so the pump will run at higher speed.

Also, as mentioned by fellow users, prior to that do check that the pump unit is installed according to quick start guide and the how to video:[ame]

[/ame]

• 1 month later...
So I worked it out - I’m pushing through 2 GPU blocks, a CPU block and a thin Nemesis GTS radiator. These rads are very high pressure drop, basically the same as a CPU block. It was too much pressure drop for the pump. So I put in a fill valve (with a through hole to the case top) between the CPU and radiator. I left this slightly open when first turning on the pump which reduced the pressure enough for the pump to push to the fill port. I closed it right before the water hit and then tapped the pump bottom to push it through the rad. Once the loop was closed (water back to the resevoir), the pump was able to keep the water flowing fine.

• 4 weeks later...

I also have the same issues of not pumping water. In my case, the pump have weird sound produced when connected to power but the water level does not drop. The result is the same when I disconnect it from commander pro.

I have also taken a video for it:[ame=

]
[/ame]

I have also tried to test the pump alone and it just start pouring coolant when I without connecting power. I cannot even increase the water level. Is that normal?

Petty sure the loop designed is normal since this pump is the second one and the first one has returned to Corsair through RMA since water is leaking:[pouts:

Is the molex connected? I see the RGB light up.

Do you feel vibration on the pump? If so try tapping/wiggling it a bit. I had to do that on one refill. Once it started, it was good.

The molex is connected and I can feel vibration. However, the pump still fail to pump coolant even I wiggle it. The weird sound is still producing.

Apart form that, I can see coolant coming out from the outlet when I am filling coolant. Is that normal?

I also have the same issues of not pumping water. In my case, the pump have weird sound produced when connected to power but the water level does not drop. The result is the same when I disconnect it from commander pro.

I have also taken a video for it:

I have also tried to test the pump alone and it just start pouring coolant when I without connecting power. I cannot even increase the water level. Is that normal?

Petty sure the loop designed is normal since this pump is the second one and the first one has returned to Corsair through RMA since water is leaking:[pouts:

Accidentally shoot the problem out. The pump cannot pump out coolant is just because there are still some coolant in the block and radiator so the pressure need to pump the coolant is higher. The way I solve this problem is reduce coolant added so that air can come in. Now the pump should works properly unless it leaks coolant again:biggrin:

The molex is connected and I can feel vibration. However, the pump still fail to pump coolant even I wiggle it. The weird sound is still producing.

Apart form that, I can see coolant coming out from the outlet when I am filling coolant. Is that normal?

It seems you have an air bubble stuck in the pump volute due to surface tension. I would recommend you try to shake your PC as much as possible. It's an annoying occurrence but that's the price you pay when dealing with custom cooling.

I have experienced this phenomena on numerous occasions with various pumps from various manufacturers.

to save starting another thread.....I can hardly hear my pump running, have to put my ear next to it and very little vibration

The spinning spindle if the gpu block wouldnt turn so I ended up draining about half the resovoir so it was just about the inlet pipe......yesterday was fine but today I put the drainage at the front ( the 2 together with this on the right and the left been outlet)

Anyway tipped it to the left and tipped it the right and finally tipped it so only the front right foot of the case was on the table...and that got the cpu block fulled up .Not sure if its full power...the spindle doesnt seem to be spinning as fast in the GPU....just using the molex and the bridging .

so what is the noise you should be hearing ?

when running for 24hrs should you leave the top plug on the reservoir or leave it of to allow air to escape?

Do not leave top plug open as you may contaminate liquid with dust particles. Always run with lid closed.

GPU spindle will not spin as fast as you might expect it, it is designed with high bypass meaning that in event if gets stuck permanently, it will not affect cooling performance of the system.

It seem you got rid of that stuck air pocket in the pump. That's the price you pay when you DIY, but is sure as hell fun :)

Do not leave top plug open as you may contaminate liquid with dust particles. Always run with lid closed.

GPU spindle will not spin as fast as you might expect it, it is designed with high bypass meaning that in event if gets stuck permanently, it will not affect cooling performance of the system.

It seem you got rid of that stuck air pocket in the pump. That's the price you pay when you DIY, but is sure as hell fun :)

fun :eek::confused::eek:

actually the loop was ok and the riser card wasnt that bad but getting all the wiring done with Commander Pro is a special hell on earth:wtfman: