Corsair Community

H100i V2 Sudden Humming

Verdo

Hey guys,

I just have a quick concern about the H100i V2, which I've had for about 6-7 months now. It's worked flawlessly, cooling my i7 4790k with no problem. However, recently, I made some changes to my PC, swapping out case fans, and the PSU from an RM 750w to an EVGA P2 750w with custom cables. After installing the new fractal venturi fans, I could not help but notice a very audible hum from my H100i V2's pump. This NEVER happened before and I did not change anything in the BIOS or Corsair Link. I did re-orient the radiator to the top of my Fractal Define S case, away from the front in take.

I tried switching it back to the front in-take, even remounting the cooler onto the CPU. No dice, the hum persists. I've checked for air bubbles. I'm beginning to think that I somehow damaged the H100i V2, but I find that hard to believe since it was never dropped and handled carefully. Nevertheless, temps are fine, performance hasn't changed. Does it have something to do with the PSU, which I would find hard to believe?

Any suggestions?

Build:

4790k @ 4.0 GHZ, turbos to 4.4 GHZ

MSI 980 ti

Gigabyte z97x gaming 7

EVGA P2 750W.

Unfortunately, the most likely scenario is you have lowered your case noise floor to the point where the pump is now the loudest thing in the case. I understand how frustrating that can be. Unlike in the other thread with the "rattle", a pump "hum" is a little too common.

Do you notice a difference in tone when switching from the Quiet Pump mode to Performance while on the desktop?

Make sure your BIOS is set to deliver 12v to the (CPU?) header or wherever the H100i v2 is connected. I don't know the GA Z97 BIOS, but it would need to be a 100% fan curve, PWM, disabled, or something similar. This setting or reset any time you update the BIOS. Unfortunately, this setting alone does not prevent the hum.

That's the thing, I have yet to set my fans on the radiator so they are loud; however, I can hear the pump over them. THIS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE and I had quieter configurations in the past with this cooler where I set the fans to low profiles. Yes, I've unplugged all fans. The H100i V2 that is getting 12V. If I install Corsair Link and set it to Quiet, the hum/rattle is lesser but still quite noticeable.

If you can hear the pump over the fans blasting, that is a problem. Even in the lesser state, it's annoying. I would contact Corsair Tech Support and start a ticket. See what they say. Your PSU, cables, and everything else have nothing to do with this. Unfortunately, this is a common complaint and likely related to internal electrical issues on the pump.

Archived