Corsair Community

Safer grating on PSU-top to prevent impingement from smaller foreign objects

12timmarmer

I had a mishap the other day that knocked out my PSU with a bang and a flash (literally) which killed it and caused a short circuit when I attempted to turn on my PC.

The reason behind it was a small screw used to fix my motherboard to my new case had fallen onto the PSU and passed through the grating, which must have caused the short circuit since when I got the screw out it was visible it had been a conductor for electrical power.

I am not sure how the screw got in there, but I suspect it could have been that when I installed my motherboard the new case came with prefixed distances, except in one place where my motherboard had a hole to be fixed to the case. It could have been that if I attempted to place a screw there without paying attention the screw would be hanging lose inside the motherboard, and with a little shuffle of the case could have fallen down.

Regardless how it happened I came to think of how easy it was for the small screw to pass through the grating, which caused so much trouble, and I wondered if perhaps it might be considered a safety feature to improve on. While I realize my own responsibility of things, and warranty definitely doesn’t apply since it being an accident, I was thinking for my next PSU to replace the old one with I would put some significance in the aspect of a more condense grating pattern to prevent this in the future.

I did some short tests with dropping the culprit screw on the top of my expired PSU to find it was very easy for it to pass through. By selectively placing the screw on the grating I found only one positioning were it would not pass through, and even then the slightest touch or movement could make it fall through.

I post a picture I took with the screw between the gratings in the only position it would not fall through (immediately). I am not sure what kind of designs for grating newer PSU models with Corsair have, or what it looks like with other companies, but if this is a risk that is overlooked in design production I think it would be worthwhile to consider making the products safer, even if the mishaps of said reasons would within warranty be entirely on the responsibility of the consumer.

20171024_005218.thumb.jpg.cc6cbffc075be93a207b922d8e676217.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I have indeed got a new modell now, I was hoping newer and perhaps future modells would be safer from this kind of risk. While after studying the grating I can indeed say that it is safer, it is not completley safe as screws made for fitting the motherboard can still pass through, even though it is a little bit more tight.

Archived