Corsair Community

Okay to mix 2 older XMS2 sticks with new?

toucansu

I have a pair of CM2 X 1024-6400C4 800 MHZ 4-4-4-12 sticks of RAM now and want to upgrade to 4GB. Mine are XMS6404v1.2. Can I add new ones (XMS2 6400 C4) to make a total of 4GB even if the version is different?

I know my motherboard is very picky. I couldn't mix with 512 MB sticks, I tried. Also I don't go into the BIOs very often, nor do I want to, but I understand I might have to make some changes there... If so what? I also understand that they won't run at 800 mhz with 4 sticks, correct? (I know that my computer won't see all 4 GB).

Would it make any difference to replace with a pair of 2GB sticks instead?

I am not an overclocker.

Thanks!

• Corsair Employee

You are welcome to try it but officially 4 up configurations would only be supported with our Quad kits.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

You are welcome to try it but officially 4 up configurations would only be supported with our Quad kits.

Can you specify what you mean by Quad kits, please? (Is that 4X 1024 or 2X whatever to equal 4?) Would that be configured any differently?

I'm no RAM expert so I'm probably not going to understand everything you tell me.

Also your title said "Moved to Correct Section!" I thought I asked in the right place to get info from a Corsair tech that I could trust. I had seen a similar thread that was in the General section that was told they were in the wrong place, so I guess you just can't win.:confused:

Thanks.

Archived