Corsair Community

Hi All,

I'm new to this but love to tinker and just got done having a lot of fun with Corsair RGB stuff on my AM3 setup and my son liked how it looked and played and wanted it in his room!

So...I decided to build a new computer. I'm a bit older than most of you (54) but still love to game and budget isn't really an issue.

So here's the new build. Parts started to arrive yesterday from Amazon and Newegg. All parts will be here by July 5th.

Please tell me what you would or wouldn't change.

I was looking at different MB's, but wanted to stay with the white theme, that's why I decided on the Asus Prime. Plus, all the cool MB's had built in Wi-Fi which I don't need. Wanted the ASRock X570 Aqua, but couldn't find one for sale new. :(

Intel i9-9900K

Asus Prime Z390-A MB RGB

Powercolor XT5700 Red Devil GPU RGB

Sound Blaster AE-5 White Pure Edition RGB

64 Gigs of Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 DDR4 White Ram RGB.

White Corsair 570X Case

White Corsair 850i PSU

White Corsair H100i Platinum AIO CPU Cooler

6 Corsair 120MM QL White RGB Fans

2 Corsair 140MM QL White RGB Fans

Addlink X70 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD RGB

Crucial P2 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD (goes under the heatsink, no need for RGB)

All White Corsair Cable Extension For Case Header

Corsair Commander Pro for QL Fans

The picture is of my AM3+ build. It's and AMD FX-9590 with 16 Gigs of 2133 DDR3 and a Corsair 220T case.. It still does good!

58453393_AM3.jpg.23348ffa6cf7dce320e4bd9137ea6031.jpg

Edited by Baregina

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some thoughts, but take them for what you will:

1. The sound card really isn't necessary unless you need the specialty connections on it. Motherboard sound will be more than sufficient unless you are an audiophile.

2. Not sure where you plan on putting the QL140MM fans?

3. You will need another Corsair RGB hub to connect more than 6 fans. You case will come with one, but you will need another to connect more than 6 fans, unless you are connected the two extra to the AIO.

4. I would step up the 1TB M.2 SSDs. You will end up kicking yourself later when you run out of space.

Hope this helps.

-usna92

You could ditch the sound card and half the ram (maybe replace with dummy RGB sticks, they look just as good), and with the money saved, get rid of the 5700XT for a 2080 super.

That 9900K will get bored waiting for the 5700 to render frames :)

If he plays MMOs or e-sports only, forget my comment, they run on anything and he won't notice a difference.

Ditch the Addlink SSD IMO. It has **** write speed and comprising performance due to lighting. Opt for the Corsair MP600 1TB which has one of the fastest read and write speeds on the market second to the Auros.

x2 on ditching the sound card and ditch 2x RAM sticks with dummy. You will save at least half your money there. Also x2 on ditching the 5700 for the 2080 or even 2080TI if you can ;)

What are you going to do with this pc? The build is nice, but as ppl have suggested, a separate soundcard nowadays is only useful in some use cases (I'm 42, I'm also thinking about the days of the Creative Fatality soundcards with their fancy specs, trust me).

Also, 64GB is a bit overkill for most cases, but as said, depends on what you're gonna use the pc for....if RAM is important, maybe go for 32GB 3600MHz (or higher) with the same CAS latency as the 3200 RAM...CAS 16 or even 14...costs more, and in games it will give you around 1-2 fps extra, but when editing, photoshop and such, the higher speed makes more sense. Still - be aware (referring to Jayztwocents - XMP profiles may void the warranty on your cpu :-) )

The main reason for my reply here....I would suggest NOT to buy a GPU now...mid september both Nvidia (RTX3 series) and AMD (big NAVI) will launch...so current cards will seriously drop in price...and new cards with greater performance (and probably about the same power draw) will be available for about the same price you pay an older GPU now - seeing these prices are still not dropping.

(I am also patiently waiting to upgrade my Asus Strix GTX1070 - allthough she still performs very nicely)

Good luck!

Edited by TZB

What are you going to do with this pc? The build is nice, but as ppl have suggested, a separate soundcard nowadays is only useful in some use cases (I'm 42, I'm also thinking about the days of the Creative Fatality soundcards with their fancy specs, trust me).

Also, 64GB is a bit overkill for most cases, but as said, depends on what you're gonna use the pc for....if RAM is important, maybe go for 32GB 3600MHz (or higher) with the same CAS latency as the 3200 RAM...CAS 16 or even 14...costs more, and in games it will give you around 1-2 fps extra, but when editing, photoshop and such, the higher speed makes more sense. Still - be aware (referring to Jayztwocents - XMP profiles may void the warranty on your cpu :-) )

The main reason for my reply here....I would suggest NOT to buy a GPU now...mid september both Nvidia (RTX3 series) and AMD (big NAVI) will launch...so current cards will seriously drop in price...and new cards with greater performance (and probably about the same power draw) will be available for about the same price you pay an older GPU now - seeing these prices are still not dropping.

(I am also patiently waiting to upgrade my Asus Strix GTX1070 - allthough she still performs very nicely)

Good luck!

Second that. Prices are bound to drop once they announce the 3000 series of the RTX cards. They are slated to be 20% faster than the 2080Ti at similar price point so prices are definitely dropping. Well let's hope so as I am waiting to purchase one.