Corsair Community

New PC BIOS Fan Speeds HIGH

CastleIsLive

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can educate me on a few things and help me figure out what's going on with my 2 PCs.

I built a PC 1-2 yrs ago with an H55 120mm AIO cooler on it; runs quiet, cpu temps have always been fine. I recently built a brand new gaming PC (current one will become streaming PC) but this new build is VERY loud. I've never touched fan speeds or BIOS settings but this time I decided to take a look. I'm hoping you can see below and help me out!

New Build: Gaming PC w H100x 240mm AIO cooler

BIOS DEFAULT FAN SPEEDS

CPU_FAN = 4000 RPM

PUMP_FAN = 1700 RPM

SYS_FAN 1 = 1000 RPM (assuming this is case fan)

SYS_FAN 2 = 1000 RPM (assuming this is case fan)

Total of 7700 RPM for this PC *while idle*. I haven't tested gaming yet because this was immediately apparent with how loud the PC is.

STREAM PC (used for 1-2 yrs, 120mm H55 AIO):

BIOS

CPU_FAN = 1800 RPM

PUMP_FAN = 0/undetected

SYS_FAN 1 = 0/undetected (odd b/c I have 2 case fans)

SYS_FAN 2 = 0/undetected (odd b/c I have 2 case fans)

Total of 1800 RPM while idle.

1. What is "CPU Fan" vs "Pump Fan" ? Which one is the AIO?

2. Both PCs have an AIO, so why would my current stream PC not recognize a Pump Fan?

3. Similarly, why would my current PC not recognize the case fans?

4. My new PC has CPU Fan on "PWM" and "Smart Control ON" running at 4000 RPM while idle. This seems crazy no?

5. New PC has Pump Fan on "PWM" and "Smart Control OFF" - I've read online that Pump fans need to be 100%, so should I switch it to DC instead of PWM?

6. When I switch my SYS Fans to "Smart Control ON" they go down from 1000 to about 900. That should be fine right?

Anyways, thanks to anyone who goes through this, I really appreciate your time and consideration.

Castle

1) CPU Fan vs. Pump fan indicates the port label on the motherboard. The Pump Fan header is typically set to full power though this can be changed.

2) It depends on what is plugged into the Pump Fan header. You've not specified if anything is plugged in to that header.

3) Which case fans? What header are the plugged in to?

4) It depends on what's connected to that header. If it's the pump, then that'll be the speed of the pump and no, that's not crazy in the least.

5) No. But again, it depends on what's plugged in to the header.

6) "Smart Control" is typically some kind of preset curve. I guess it's OK. There's not really enough information to say one way or another.

So ... overall, you've not provided enough information for us to make any sense of things. You need to map out what is plugged in to which header. The labels in the BIOS should match the labels screened onto the board and referenced in the manual. You're gonna need to trace your cables and determine what's where. You've also not provided any infomration on what motherboard you have, what fans you have ... etc.

Ok, I learned more, re-read the manuals, re-checked all plug-ins and here's an updated version of my post. Also, thank you for taking the time to help me!

New Build: Gaming PC w H100x 240mm AIO cooler

- The H100x Pump cord has 2 ends to it (Power/SATA & Fan pin connector)

- As per the instructions, I connected the power to an available SATA and the fan pin connector in to CPU_FAN

- The instructions then say to plug the 2 H100x radiator fan cords in to its y-connector cable and connect that y-connector cable in to any available 3-pin or 4-pin fan control. I plugged it in to the "PUMP_FAN" since it fit best there (instead of one of the SYS_FANs).

**Note: As I type this, I wonder if I should have left NOTHING plugged in to PUMP_FAN and instead should have sent that y-cable in to a SYS_FAN pin connector slot.

- I then plugged the 2 case fans in to SYS_FAN2 and SYS_FAN3

BIOS FAN SPEEDS (ON DEFAULT) & CONFIRMED BY HWiNFO

"CPU_FAN" = 4000 RPM (h100x pump cord)

"PUMP_FAN" = 1700 RPM (h100x y-cord that comes from its 2 radiator fans)

"SYS_FAN 1" = 1000 RPM (case fan)

"SYS_FAN 2" = 1000 RPM (case fan)

Total of 7700 RPM for this PC while idle. I haven't tested gaming yet because this was immediately apparent with how loud the PC is.

STREAM PC (used for 1-2 yrs, 120mm H55 AIO):

- The H55 Pump cord did not have a SATA end to it. It only had a 3-pin connector and as per the instructions, was plugged into CPU_FAN

- I then plugged in the H55 radiator fan 3-pin connector in to SYS_FAN4

- The case has 2 fans but they're pre-plugged and have a low/med/high button that came with the case so they aren't even pluggable in to the mobo (I'm not concerned about this part)

BIOS FAN SPEEDS (ON DEFAULT) & CONFIRMED BY HWiNFO

"CPU_FAN" = 1400 RPM (pump fan cord)

"PUMP_FAN" = 0 (makes sense)

"SYS_FAN 4" = 1200 RPM (radiator fan cord)

Total of 2600 RPM while idle. I suppose if I assume the 2 case fans are running at 1000 RPM each then the total is 4600 RPM (2600+1000+1000) for it all. This is still a lot lower than the 7700 above though so this PC is WAY quieter.

QUESTIONS

1. Is "PUMP_FAN" only for liquid cooling that isn't AIO?

2. Should I unplug my H100x radiator fans y-cord from pump_fan and move it to a SYS_FAN?

3. Since the TWO H100x radiator fans are going in to ONE y-cord, which currently goes in to the PUMP_FAN port, does the BIOS reading of "1700 RPM" mean 1700 each or 17000 total across the 2?

4. Why did the H100x need a power plug-in to SATA but my H55 didn't?

5. When should I use PWM vs DC? (Please indicate for all of the above e.g. H55 CPU_FAN, SYS_FAN; H100x CPU_FAN, PUMP_FAN (radiator fans in to y-cord), Case SYS_FANs)

6. When should I use Smart Control ON vs OFF? (Please indicate for all of the above e.g. H55 CPU_FAN, SYS_FAN; H100x CPU_FAN, PUMP_FAN (radiator fans in to y-cord), Case SYS_FANs)

7. Any idea why my new PC build has the CPU_FAN running at 4000 RPM when idle and literally nothing running?!

New PC w H100x: Since the y-cord (2 radiator fans) are plugged in to "PUMP_FAN" running @ 1700 RPM, I suppose it's safe to assume that "CPU_FAN" is reading pump speed, not fan speed, as you suggested. But then how come my stream PC with the H55, ALSO having a pump plugged in to CPU_FAN is only running at 1400 RPM?

If we're correct, then it seems the H55 has a pump speed of 1400 RPM and fan speed of 1200 RPM while the H100x has a pump speed of 4000 RPM and fan speed(s) of 1700 RPM. Seems odd to me that its pump would be running nearly 4 times faster when in both scenarios the PCs are completely idle. My new PC is literally 10x louder than my stream PC.

I know this is a ton of questions; I opened pandora's box when starting to learn about it all... I appreciate your time and consideration.

Castle