Corsair Community

iCue seemingly losing connection to Fan #1

bmcambra

I've submitted a support ticket, but was hoping the community might also help as I'm very new to this...

I recently built a new computer from the ground up and chose to include a corsair lighting system for my case. This included a commander pro, which operated fantastically when first connected. It has been roughly a week since building my computer, but I've noticed some troubling inconsistencies.

First, a friend noted that one of my fans was not spinning. I checked iCue and saw that Fan #1 was not listed (2-6 were listed without issue). I assumed I had a bad connection and shut down my computer, unplugging and re-plugging the Fan #1 position on the commander pro. Upon startup, everything operated within expectations.

The next day, I turned my computer on and everything was normal, all 6 fans (and 4 lighting strips) spinning and lighting up as expected. Later however, I noticed Fan #1 had fallen off my fan list in iCue. The fan still spun/lit up, but I apparently had lost control/connection. I powered down, unplugged, and re-plugged in the fan. Upon startup, Fan #1 was not spinning. I powered down immediately and repeated the unplug/re-plug process. This time, upon startup all fans spun properly and appeared in iCue.

Is this a known issue? I do NOT want to keep opening my case to mess with my fans, and am very disappointed in the quality of this $250+ lighting system that doesn't seem to work well.

my Rig:

CPU: Intel i7-8700k

MOBO: ASUS Maximus X Hero (with wifi)

GPU: MSI 1070 GTX 8gig

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO (x2 8gb sticks, 16gb total)

CPU cooler: Corsair H100i Pro - fans controlled by Commander PRO

PSU: Corsair RM850x

Case: Corsair Crystal 570x

SSD: Samsung 860 evo (both 250gb (OS) and 1tb(data/gaming)

Lighting:

Commander Pro

- controlling x6 hd120 fans (including x2 CPU heatsink fans)

- controls x4 light strips from the lighting node pro bundle

- fans connected to LED Hub (which then connects to Commander) for fan lighting effects

- USB connected to MOBO

if anyone has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. As it stands I'm planning on downloading Link instead as I know iCue is not fully released, but I'm desperately hoping this isn't a hardware issue as I hate return processes in general..

I'll send over some images after work tonight, to my knowledge the CoPro is connected directly to the MOBO by USB, but I'll double check.

I did speak to corsair who recommended a replacement CoPro (most likely not to do with iCue), so I should have a new one on route, but want to make sure I do my due diligence.

I would try to go under settings first and see if the fan is configured as 4-pin or 3-pin as appropriate. That does resolve this issue often.

The other question isn't about the USB connection but the SATA power connection. If you are using a molex to SATA adapter for the CoPro, it's not getting the 3.3V rail from the PSU, which is required to run the microcontroller in the CoPro. Showing the screen with your voltages will tell is if that's the case.

Archived