Corsair Community

H100i v2 3-pin fans speed control

Steve-B

Heya,

can anyone tell me if I can set up 2 of the Corsair 460X RGB case's fans (SP120) to "work with" the H100iv2? I'm guessing just putting the 3pin connectors in the 4pin headers won't play nice. Can I just use mobo (Asus Prime Z370-A) headers for the radiator (also, case) fans for speed control (through Link..? Or other software then required?).

Many, many thanks, close to pulling the trigger on H100i but I'm a bit dazed with all the different constraints. Help much appreciated!

No, the 3 pin DC SP120-RGB will run at maximum all the time when connected to the 12v PWM controller on the H100i v2 or any other AIO with a build in fan controller. Yes, you can connect them to one of the motherboard headers and use BIOS/software fan control from there.

To get your case fans under Link control, you need a Corsair Commander Pro. Besides offering Link software control for 6 fans, it will also give you software control over the SP120 RGB lighting.

Thanks. :-) I embarrassingly didn't even know that the Commander existed.

If I choose to go the mobo header way, will the pump not 'freak out' not having fans attached?

No, it won't. You won't be able to control them in Link, though. But, honestly, you are better off with fans connected to the cooler. Unless you are overclocking, the quiet profile is likely enough and those fans won't been too loud.

No, it won't. You won't be able to control them in Link, though. But, honestly, you are better off with fans connected to the cooler. Unless you are overclocking, the quiet profile is likely enough and those fans won't been too loud.

I'd like to but I (just found out that I) can't :o: Not going to use the provided fans but put the rad in front of the 460X's case fans.

This is a common issue with 460/570x case owners who want to utilize the SP120 RGB fans and need to mount the 240 in the front rail. Your specs are not listed, but many recent motherboards have some sort of fan hysteresis or delays to help keep them from racing up and down. Whether they are effective or not is another matter, but this is a safe and viable way to operate it. However, you will have more fan activity than if you running from the coolant temperature and the cooler's fan controller.

Thanks. Thought I had the mobo listed... It is, or rather, is going to be, an Asus Prime Z370-A. Don't mind more fan activity, I've never been big on whisper quiet systems - I find the hum of fans...pleasant, I guess? Anyway, perhaps Fan Xpert (supplied Asus software) will allow for decent fan control if going for a connected-to-motherboard setup.

Thanks. Thought I had the mobo listed... It is, or rather, is going to be, an Asus Prime Z370-A. Don't mind more fan activity, I've never been big on whisper quiet systems - I find the hum of fans...pleasant, I guess? Anyway, perhaps Fan Xpert (supplied Asus software) will allow for decent fan control if going for a connected-to-motherboard setup.

My suggestion: don't use the Asus' Windows software ... stick to the BIOS controls. I, personally, found it extremely painful and unreliable and it is nigh impossible to remove the stuff once you install it ... even with their removal tool.

What'd make most sense for the H100i in a 460X - pump to AIO_PUMP (a regular CHA, I read in another thread...) and two front case fans to CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT orrrr run the pump to CPU_FAN, two case fans to random CHA_FANx headers and remap those with SpeedFan to CPU?

What'd make most sense for the H100i in a 460X - pump to AIO_PUMP (a regular CHA, I read in another thread...) and two front case fans to CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT orrrr run the pump to CPU_FAN, two case fans to random CHA_FANx headers and remap those with SpeedFan to CPU?

That makes sense. It would also be a good, easy way to keep the two fans synchronized. The advantage, also, of using the AIO_PUMP header is that, typically, it's set to 100% by default.

That makes sense. It would also be a good, easy way to keep the two fans synchronized. The advantage, also, of using the AIO_PUMP header is that, typically, it's set to 100% by default.

Which of the two makes sense? :p: Also, rather sceptical right now that SpeedFan, which is old, will be able of controlling headers/fans running DC instead of PWM on a new mobo...

Ah ... sorry. Pump into AIO Pump Header and the Fans on CPU and CPU_OPT. In this specific scenario, that makes sense.

And I can't comment on SpeedFan ... never used it, personally. But since DC control is older than PWM control, I would think that it'd be fine. The bigger question is would it support your motherboard. Again ... not used it personally (though I've heard of it, to be sure) so I cannot say.

I used Asus Fan Xpert to control my fans for a while, when I couldn't get Link to work, it had a useful facility the introduced a delay (I used 10 seconds) so that the fans didn't ramp up and down with the CPU temps. However I seem to recall that someone posted on here that Asus had changed the software and that no longer applied. I didn't uninstall it, I just set it to not run at startup.

There is another option called SIV which is written by a former (prolific) but now banned member. It has a bit of a learning curve, but once you learn it, it works well.

• 4 months later...

Sorry for digging this up. I'm in the same boat with a Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5.

I want to use the front SP RGB fans with the radiator and need to control their speed somehow. I need someone to walk me through how to achieve this.

What'd make most sense for the H100i in a 460X - pump to AIO_PUMP (a regular CHA, I read in another thread...) and two front case fans to CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT

I don't really understand the difference and function of all these different fan headers on the board.

1. What benefit would I get from plugging a case fan into CPU_FAN vs. a regular fan header?

2. And how would I set them up in the BIOS to control the fan speed?

Sorry for digging this up. I'm in the same boat with a Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5.

I want to use the front SP RGB fans with the radiator and need to control their speed somehow. I need someone to walk me through how to achieve this.

I don't really understand the difference and function of all these different fan headers on the board.

1. What benefit would I get from plugging a case fan into CPU_FAN vs. a regular fan header?

2. And how would I set them up in the BIOS to control the fan speed?

1) Typically none for a case fan. Most motherboards have a completely different set of protocols for the CPU fan. Its behaviors are still targeted at your typical small air cooler (instant response, CPU temp only variable, etc). To that effect, you generally need something on CPU fan to boot. This is the BIOS' way of making sure you have some cooling method installed.

It is for that reason is makes a nice place to hook up the cooler's pump. All of the above are irrelevant and you set it to 100% and move on. This also solves the boot error dilemma and keeps the more functional chassis fan headers free.

2) Motherboard dependent, but typically you go into the BIOS and find the fan control section. This may be in more than one place. Usually there is some sort of user friendly picture BIOS layer and then you can also access for detailed command in other places. We need someone with GA board to be specific.

EDIT: I see you other post now. The only reason to do this would be you are running out of headers and need to use them. There might be an additional hang up. Some motherboard have PWM only CPU fan headers. That would not work well with the DC motor SP120 RGB.

As I understand my board's headers are all hybrid, so that shouldn't be a problem. But I still don't know where exactly I'm going to plug my stuff in now, what makes the most sense and why.

EDIT: I just looked through some older threads on this exact issues in which you also commented. It seems like this is entirely fixable. And I'm ok with a workaround using the BIOS. I just need someone to walk me through what exactly I need to do. 1. Which headers I use for what, and 2. how to configure the fans/curves to make sure my CPU is sufficiently cooled when under load.

In one thread you laid it out like this:

If you decide to get a 240mm cooler, mount in on the top two-thirds of the front panel, leave the SP120 RGB on the front rail, using those fans and not the included radiator SP120L (grey). These fans are DC and will not run from the pump directly. Power and control them from your motherboard. You would then need fans for top and rear exhaust. Select something quiet and appropriate.

So I will need to get a second fan for the top exhaust. Right now I only added one AF120 Quiet at the rear so far.

Oh and, I'm guessing most people mount the radiator at the front in a 460X with the hoses at the top, right? Otherwise I fear it might interfere with the graphics card later. With that being the case, do people find it hard to get the corsair logo on the pump to be upright? Because I just tried it both ways and it takes considerably more force and twisting to get it to be upright. Upside down is a much more comfortable fit for the hoses.

Archived