Corsair Community

H60 Fan not working/working intermittently

Frost9789

Hi all,

I bought a H60 today and just finished installing it. When I started my computer however the fan didn't spin. The pump appears to be working fine, just not the fan.

When I first turned it on the fan twitched a little, like it was trying to turn but couldn't. It then turned on to full speed briefly before stopping again. Now it will 'twitch' every few seconds as if it is trying to spin but can't.

When I installed the fan i span the blades with my fingers to check this and everything worked freely. I have the fan installed on the four pin CPU_FAN1 connection on my motherboard, and the pump installed on the three pin CPU_FAN2 connection.

I've entered the bios and ensured both cpu fans are set to full on all the time, and nothing in Windows appears to slowing my fans down.

I've also tried unplugging all my case fans and only having the cpu fans plugged into the motherboard, and this doesn't help at all.

I've tested it with prime95, and my cpu temps get up to around 60*C, and the fan still doesn't kick in, it still 'twitches' there every few seconds and doesn't move. Ive also tried spinning it a little to see if it will go after that, but it doesn't.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I am using the stock H60 120mm fan.

It sounds like the H60's fan is defective. What else is strange is the H60 is cooling your CPU pretty well with the fan not running. Also, if a CPU fan is not installed or not on (spinning) for some reason, most if not all mother boards should give you a CPU fan error, since no CPU fan running is usually a bad thing.

Most BIOS/UEFI have a Monitor option, where things like CPU temp, voltages, and fan speeds are displayed. Did you check what the CPU fan speed is in the BIOS?

If you have any spare 120mm fan, PWM or three pin, or can remove a 120mm case fan, replace the Corsair fan with it. You could put the Corsair fan in place of the borrowed fan, on a three pin header, normally PWM fans on three pin headers run at full speed. That way you can test the PWM fan header, and the Corsair fan at the same time.

If you find that the Corsair fan is defective, either return it to the store, or you can create a RMA, and in the information section just request a new fan, and say you don't need to return the H60.

Thanks for the reply.

You're right, I'm on stock cpu settings at the moment and because the pump is still working all my temps are fairly stable, even without the fan. In my UEFI (not bios as I previously stated) setup, it just has a N/A next to cpu fan 1, but it gives me the rpm of the pump in cpu fan 2, and I'm guessing this is why it has allowed me to start up normally, even without a cpu fan 1.

I tested the corsair fan on a standard 3 pin fan header, and still no luck. I also tested a regular 3 pin fan on the PWM header as well as a different PWM fan on the PWM header, and both worked fine. This suggests that its the corsair fan which is the problem, and I'll attempt to return to the store. (I'm in Australia, so returning to Corsair would probably take longer).

Thanks for your help.

Archived