Corsair Community

fan on the RM650x

baneling

While gaming ... perhaps. You should have the fan directly intake from the outside. Most cases have this designed into the case where the PSU mounts.

it seems my case is designed with the PSU at the bottom and with the fan facing down. I don't think I can change that. but why does it matter if the fan is blowing air inside the PSU and the side with the holes for the hot air to go out is facing the back of the case?

it seems my case is designed with the PSU at the bottom and with the fan facing down. I don't think I can change that. but why does it matter if the fan is blowing air inside the PSU and the side with the holes for the hot air to go out is facing the back of the case?

That's pretty normal these days. The fan should be facing the bottom; it will intake from there.

Air inside the case will be warmer than ambient. So this ensures that the PSU has a dedicated source of the coolest air possible (room ambient). That's how it should be installed. Don't be like the Verge and install it with the fan facing up.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all, on the RM650x, does the fan blow air inside the PSU or does it blow hot air out?

Depends what case you have and which way up you place the PSU. Most cases these days face the PSU down and draw air in from the outside and return it to the outside, but that's not always what happens.

Under idle conditions your PC will only be using around 100W so the PSU fan will not be running. That load will increase to 200W or so when you are gaming, so after a little while the PSU fan will come on.

It would help if you explained why you wanted to know, then we could offer some meaningful advice. If you are asking is this enough ventilation for the case, no, it's not.