Corsair Community

H80i v2 max liquid T

Baio

What's the liquid T-max I have to look at for a Ryzen 2700x?

I like to have a quite as possible quiet pc, but now we're going towards summer and the fan profile I've been using is becoming a little too noisy, so I need to remodulate it.

Baio

Maximum coolant temperature in regard to the physical system limits? Or how much should you expect to see for your use?

Corsair does not list a maximum safe temperature, but every brand I know of puts it somewhere between 50-65C liquid temperature. It really doesn't matter for the physical pieces. Sealants and adhesives might not fare as well for long term exposure to 65C coolant. However, something of a moot point since 50C coolant will put your CPU temps into the 90s and force you to take action or shutdown. The CPU will always hit its limit first.

As far as what you might see, we can't give you a hard number. Room and case ambient temperature are always the minimum and that moves the floor. For an H80i v2, I would think you would top out at +8-10C coolant delta under 100% CPU load. Where things might get trickier is for mixed GPU/CPU loads. A rear mounted H80 is vulnerable to added on GPU waste heat. It's pretty common to see higher gaming coolant temps than CPU stress test because of the change in case temperature. I would still think about +10C on the coolant, but I don't recall too much 2700X + 580 data from other users. This is an estimate.

Maximum coolant temperature in regard to the physical system limits? Or how much should you expect to see for your use?

Corsair does not list a maximum safe temperature, but every brand I know of puts it somewhere between 50-65C liquid temperature. It really doesn't matter for the physical pieces. Sealants and adhesives might not fare as well for long term exposure to 65C coolant. However, something of a moot point since 50C coolant will put your CPU temps into the 90s and force you to take action or shutdown. The CPU will always hit its limit first.

As far as what you might see, we can't give you a hard number. Room and case ambient temperature are always the minimum and that moves the floor. For an H80i v2, I would think you would top out at +8-10C coolant delta under 100% CPU load. Where things might get trickier is for mixed GPU/CPU loads. A rear mounted H80 is vulnerable to added on GPU waste heat. It's pretty common to see higher gaming coolant temps than CPU stress test because of the change in case temperature. I would still think about +10C on the coolant, but I don't recall too much 2700X + 580 data from other users. This is an estimate.

Thanks for your replay.

"Maximum coolant temperature in regard to the physical system limits? Or how much should you expect to see for your use?"... well, both indeed.

Since I changed the fans on the radiator and used I custom profile, I was worried about not using the AIO properly.

I don't know why but in these days fans are reaching speeds (and noise) like they never did before… ambient temperature has risen but not to that level… and it's not my first summer in this house.

But I got that getting around 10 degreed over CPU temperature is a reasonable range of functionality.

Hope I'll soon swtich to a different case/AIO solution to solve the noise problem.

Baio

Ambient temperature plays the strongest hand in your coolant temps and then a combination of case layout (idle) and CPU wattage (load). You always can complicate affairs by stuffing it in a corner or cabinet and creating a hot zone around the case. Most people will have a coolant temp of around +4-7C above the room temp or roughly equal to the case ambient temperature. Higher core models tend to idle a bit higher than a 4 core whatever for obvious reasons. Edited by c-attack

Take a look at the Liquid Cooler FAQ. There is guidance in there about setting your fan curve.

Also, what temperatures are you seeing? And are you seeing these after a mixed load, like gaming? What about after a CPU-only load? As c-attack pointed out, the typical installation of the H80 gets direct flow from the GPU, which will skew your temperatures pretty significantly.

• 3 weeks later...
Ambient temperature plays the strongest hand in your coolant temps and then a combination of case layout (idle) and CPU wattage (load). You always can complicate affairs by stuffing it in a corner or cabinet and creating a hot zone around the case. Most people will have a coolant temp of around +4-7C above the room temp or roughly equal to the case ambient temperature. Higher core models tend to idle a bit higher than a 4 core whatever for obvious reasons.

Take a look at the Liquid Cooler FAQ. There is guidance in there about setting your fan curve.

Also, what temperatures are you seeing? And are you seeing these after a mixed load, like gaming? What about after a CPU-only load? As c-attack pointed out, the typical installation of the H80 gets direct flow from the GPU, which will skew your temperatures pretty significantly.

Thanks to both and I beg your pardon for replaying so late… but I've been some days on holiday (at last!!!).

Made some tries… first of all I cleaned the filters of my case (I found something I can barely assimilate to wool rather than dust), and that made me gain some degrees.

Secondly I switched the pump speed from silent to extreme and that caused the liquid T under normal browsing to fall down about 6-7 degrees. Maybe my fans profile is so "silent" that even the pump speed matters (usually it should not, or let's say "not so much").

In these days in Tuscany (where I live) we're having very hot days (over 40C), but my house is quite fresh and I'm able to manage the temperatures quite well even under gaming.

Thanks again!

Baio

Dust filters will definitely impact your ability to put air through the radiator. I prefer not to use them and dust every few months, rather than take the temp penalty. You can overcome the additional resistance with more fan speed.

Pump speed is generally not critical, but the smaller your radiator surface are, the more pump speed matters. A huge 480mm can get away with a low cycle rate. A thin 120x25mm radiator may need 4000 rpm to be effective. Keep an eye on this. A very strong difference between the two pump speeds may indicate a developing problem, however don’t jump to any conclusions yet. Everyone in Europe right now is going to be getting into uncharted coolant and cpu temps as the outside and room temperatures break records. You can’t cool it down below the case temp with any fan speed, so don’t drive yourself crazy with the noise right now.

The problem with dust filters is my case can't work without them, as I must keep it on the floor and the "camino" effect will transform it into a Dyson without filters.

I'm looking for another case but still can't find something that satisfies my requests… for sure it MUST host a 360 radiator at least.

Baio

Yes, there are some times or places where the dust filter are essential or built into the case panel itself. Just remember it adds resistance to the fan, so at really low speeds you may take a bigger temperature penalty than someone else with the same hardware. As you increase fan speed, the penalty should shrink.