Corsair Community

Anyone know the max amps the H80i can supply to fans?

Andrew LB

I'm testing out a bunch of 120mm fans to see how the H80i performs with them and wanted to make sure I don't fry anything by hooking up this Panaflo FBA12G12U1BX 120x120x38mm beast. It's 119cfm @ .65a and 2700rpm. I know the stock 3-pin Corsair fans are rated at .36a, so I'm thinking that if the controller can handle two of those, why not a single fan rated at .65a?

Better safe than sorry right? I really want to see how effective almost double the CFM and double the static pressure is. :)

btw... i searched all over google and these forums and was unable to find the info.

Those fans are 1.7 amps??? Nothing against you, but that doesn't seem accurate in the least. On the back of the Corsair 3-pin fans that originally came with my H80i it says "12v DC 0.36A". For example, this 3200rpm, 151cfm Delta only pulls 1.0amp! Common sense says that Delta has got to draw more current than these fans provided by Corsair. Please don't confuse common sense with actual knowledge of electronics, because I don't claim to have much of the latter. ;)

Here are the full specs of this Panaflo fan:

Model FBA12G12U1BX

Dimensions 120x38mm

Voltage 12 Volt DC

Air Flow 114CFM

Noise 45.5dBA

Speed 2750RPM

Current 0.65A

Input 6.12W

Bearings Hydro Wave Bearing

Connector Modular 3pin connector. 3pin connector included for motherboard.

RPM Sensor Yes

ROHS Compliant

2 amps per channel definitely seemed like an accurate answer, unfortunately my confidence in it got thrown out the window after hearing the rating on stock fans. I hope you understand why I was being overly cautious. Plus over the years i've read countless threads on various overclocking forums where motherboard headers and rheostats have been fried from fans not much more powerful than this Panaflo.

I don't think anything other than the stock fans are supported, so there may not be an official answer. The numbers about 2 amps per channel / 5 amps max were for the link cooling nodes. I don't know how that relates to the h80i controller.

You would probably need an answer from "cool guy". You might want to post in the cooling thread as well.

I don't think anything other than the stock fans are supported, so there may not be an official answer. The numbers about 2 amps per channel / 5 amps max were for the link cooling nodes. I don't know how that relates to the h80i controller.

You would probably need an answer from "cool guy". You might want to post in the cooling thread as well.

Well, I just tested out this beast of a Panaflo and it does indeed work properly but I found it's best to create a custom fan curve because if you choose "Quiet Mode", it doesn't send enough current to the fan and it simply shuts the fan off. My low speed setting for this fan is 1700rpm and it's maximum is 2642rpm. At 1700rpm it's quieter than my GTX 680 @ 45% fan and when it's at the maximum 2642rpm, it's definitely not as loud as the video card can get. At max it does get a little louder than the stock fans, but it also pushes a LOT more air.

What's most amazing is the amount of air this thing pushes. It's incredible. I'll attach it to my cooler in a few moments and give some comparison temp numbers when i get some time in the next day or so.

Archived