Corsair Community

Should I be worried about this?

Click188

So, I built this custom loop about a month and 2 1/2 weeks ago and recently noticed this coloration in the gpu block. I used distilled water in the build because after seeing what colored coolants do to loops, it was not worth it. It was good reviewed distiled water but, I'm not sure now about it being totally without minerals. So I would assume this is corrosionf? Should I be worried about it at all? My gpu temps are still about the same as when I built it. I'd rather not take it apart to clean it either. Maybe if I just switched to corsair clear coolant it would clean some of it or stop if from spreading? It's not something I could see with out looking under the gpu for, unless I decide to get a vertical mount. I don't see any of the same thing happening in the cpu block. Please let me know. P.s. I am new to watercooling, this is my first loop and I dont know everything about it. I attached a pic.

image0.jpg.4a14c48505662255de050de2809a3474.jpg

Edited by Click188

Distilled water alone is never recommended. Long story short, it's very slightly corrosive. It should only be used as a base to add anticorrosion/biocides/concentrated premixes for watercooling.

This looks like the nickel coating has been stripped from the block, which in itself, besides looking odd is not really a concern if you switch now to a proper clear coolant with all the goodies inside to protects the metals.

If the fins are clean, with no clumps of corrosion or algae, you can simply drain the loop thoroughly, flush with clean distilled water, and refill with a coolant (XL8 /XL5 if you stick to Corsair).

Regarding clear colors, usually they do not stain, except red.. this one soaks in for some reason. anything with red (oranges, purples etc) will stain mostly on soft tubing.

well it's been running for less than two months, so hopefully, only the nickel plating will have suffered. Once the XL5/8 will be in there, the blocks should not change in aspect anymore.

At least you were having a look :) I personally never had any issue with watercooling, but it doesn't hurt to inspect it once in awhile