Corsair Community

help with dominator pc8500 overclock

hi guys,

its my 1st post so want to say hello to ya all to begin with.ok my problem, cant get a a stable overclock with dominator pc8500 on my rig.will alot of times pass 3d mark test and orthos and then bail out with a blue screen crash or freeze in gaming.i had previously pc 6400 xms 2,2x 1gb running at 3.2 gig no problem with memory at 800.Cant seem to be able to get a stable overclock no matter what voltages i throw at it.very frustrating,specially after passing orthos for 3 hrs! got voltage at 2.1v which is supposed to be at.bumped it up to 2.2 but still no joy.vcore bumped up doesnt stabalise it either.please help going around in circles here.can someone in the know post a quick reply as i have only a few days left on the return policy.thanks alot for the help.

Download memtest from http://www.memtest.org and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Please download CPU-z from Here and post screen shots of your CPU/Memory/SPD tabs after the overclock.

Download Prime95 (OS: 9x/Me/NT/2k/XP) ---> Here

Download Prime95 (OS: XP x64/2003 x64) ---> Here

Download Core Temp Here

You can use http://www.photobucket.com to upload the graphics.

Enter your System BIOS Setup Utility, load default settings, save default settings, set your Vdimm to 2.2v (for version 1.xx) or 2.1v for version 2.xx), restart, enter your BIOS and set to these values.

System Clocks

PCIEX16_1 Frequency (Mhz) = 101

PCIEX16_2 Frequency (Mhz) = 101

PCIEX16_3 Frequency (Mhz) = 101

SPP<->MCP Ref Clock, Mhz =: 201

HT Multiplier

nForce SPB --> nForce MCP = 5X

nForce SPP <-- nForce MCP = 5X

HTT Spread Spectrum = Disabled

PCIe Spread Spectrum (SPP) = Disabled

PCIe Spread Spectrum (MCP) = Disabled

SATA Spread Spectrum = Disabled

SLI-Ready Memory = Disable

CPU Freq. MHz = 2997

CPU Muliplier = 9

FSB - Memory Clock Mode = Unlinked

FSB (QDR), MHz = 1333

MEM (DDR), MHz = 1066

Memory Timing Setting

tCL (Cas Latency) = 5

tRCD = 5

tRP = 5

tRAS = 15

Command Per Clock (CMD) = 2T

Advanced Memory Settings

tRRD = Auto

tRC = Auto

tWR = Auto

tWTR = 11

tREF = Auto

CPU Internal Thermal Control: Enabled

Limit CPUID MaxVal: Enabled

Enhanced C1 (C1E): Enabled

Execute Disable Bit: Enabled

Virtualization Technology: Enabled

Enhanced Intel Speedstep Tech: Enabled

Voltages

CPU Core = 1.35v

CPU FSB = 1.5v

Memory = 2.2v (for version 1.xx) or 2.1 (for version 2.xx)

nForce SPP = 1.5v

nForce MCP = 1.6v

HT Nforce SPP <-> MCP = 1.55v

Please post screen shots of your CPU-z CPU, Memory and SPD tabs. Post your Core Temp at idle. Post your Core Temp after 1 Hour of Prime95. Please use Prime95 rather than Orthos as the new version is less buggier.

This is just the first baseline overclock that will give you 3.0Ghz. You will move up very likely but let's see stability and thermals first.

Results?

Thanks derek,

I havent got a spare cd so will have to wait till tomorrow unfortunatley.But thanks for your provisional help and response.Cheers m8.Ow yea, couple more thing.lmao how do you take screenshots m8? And also is there another term for vdimm as im not sure its the same in my bios,and also can you explain what you mean by version 1x etc.Cheers.

Thanks derek,

I havent got a spare cd so will have to wait till tomorrow unfortunatley.But thanks for your provisional help and response.Cheers m8.Ow yea, couple more thing.lmao how do you take screenshots m8? And also is there another term for vdimm as im not sure its the same in my bios,and also can you explain what you mean by version 1x etc.Cheers.

Vdimm = Memory/DRAM voltage.

For screenshots. Just press the keyboard Prt Scr (Print Screen) key. Open MS-Paint from your accessories folder and paste the screenshot inside. Then save to a file on your desktop. Upload that file to http://www.photobucket.com

Check your DRAM modules for the version number. It will be either 1.xx or 2.xx.

Hi derek,

just wanted to let you know quickly that i tried your settings and unfortunately system froze on post screen.Also the graphics on screen were corrupted.Second time around got past post screen then a message came up saying system file was corrupted and to insert system cd for repair.Fortunately allowed me into bios without having to clear cmos.I then used some of your setting together with mine and was able to get a stable overclock of 3.15 ghz.I say stable as it was tested on call of duty 4 game online.This for me the game test is the ultimate test as ive mamged to pass 3d mark and orthos for hours before only to crash while gaming.Heres the settings i remember off hand.Im just about to go get some food so this is only the amin settings i remeber off hand:

cpu frequency 3.15mhz

cpu core 42 idle - 48-50 ingame

fsb 1400

memory 700 (keeping 1:1 ratio with fsb)

vcore 1.500 (so far only voltage that produce stable system)

memory voltage 2.1 v

Ive found any clocks higher than this no matter what voltages i alter produce instability.As in will past 3d mark and orthos sometimes but after sometime after test my mouse will start to judder instead of being smooth.The same happens in 3d mark aswell when it fails,the framerates get affected and it will start to judder,freeze up entirely and will sometimes bail out and reboot.Hope this gives you a much more informed picture of whats going on for now.Cheers for your help so far though man.what alterations dyou think i shpuld make to your settings in order to get it to boot? I didnt want to tamper with altering your settings myself and i will continue to try and stabilise my settings as i increase the overclock.Guess the good new is ive had it up to 3.4 ghz before but all the above problems surfaced no matter what alterations i did to temps.And the frame juddering occured sometimes freezes to and also sometimes a long beep from board when it freezed,indicating to me probably something to do with the memory.Anyway hopefully with your help we`ll be able to get the speeds ive mentioned stable.Ill post the rest of the settingsi had in the bios 2morow.Time to visit tescos for dinner! Isure am starving marvin! :-)

Good. It is always necessary to tweak and test your system against the vanilla settings I give out. Sometimes they work perfectly, sometimes they need to be tweaked.

Let us know how it goes and it's a good thing that you are willing to test things yourself to find your personal sweet spot. Props on you :D:

Also, it is always a good idea to test with Memtest 1.70 for two full passes prior to even entering Windows. It's best to disable the hard drives before even performing a memtest. After the DRAM has been found to be Memtest stable, then you enter Windows.

Hiya derek,

ok the differences i had between your settings and mine are as follows.Im not going to try to tweak your settings.Im going to continue to try to raise the clock and fsb settings on my config maintaining 1:1 ratio.As yours is coming from a different angle i thought it would be more educational for me to learn your method by watching your adjustments,if you dont mind mate.The settings i retained from your config to my 3.15ghz overclock are as follows:

cpu internal thermal control = enabled (mine only has option auto for tm1 or tm2 or both so i set it to both)

limit cpuid maxval = enabled

enhanced c1 (c1e) = enabled

virtulisation technology =enabled

enhanced intel speedstep = enabled

htt spread spectrum = disabled

pcie spread spectrum (spp) = disabled

pcie spread spectrum (mcp) =disabled

sata spread spectrum =disabled

sli ready memory =disabled

tcl = 5

trcd =5

trp=5

tras=15

command per clock=15

and my settings that differ

trrd=auto

trc=auto

twr=auto

twtr=auto

tref=auto

all my pcie settings 1,2,3 =100

spp<>mpp=200 (mine only goes up in increments of 2)

ht multipliers are the same as yours

my cpu core =1.50625 (note: the one notch difference between 1.50 and 1.50625 stopped system instability,fps juddering in game play)

cpu fsb =auto (1.4v)

memory =2.1v

nforce spp=auto

nforce mcp=auto

and finally

cpu mhz = 3.15 ghz

fsb =1400

memory = 700

cpu multiplier = 9

Well there you have it.Off to enjoy my red wine now and a bit of call of duty 4.Have a think and post your alterations to your original config for me when you get time so i can try them and see if we get this baby to boot after that with your settings.Cheers man.

If you need 1.5+ Volts on your CPU to maintain a 3.15GHz (350Mhz FSB) then that CPU very likely will be holding you back from higher end overclocks. Do you have the FPO/Batch number of the CPU. It's on the box, below the bar code.

You state a Command Per Clock of 15? Is that a typo? It should be set to 2T.

Hi derek,

Had a bit too much wine and went to bed at 7.00am lol.Got it up to 3.4825 but was very unstable.Ok batch fpo number: L647G609.On 3.4825 mhz overclock,1.55000v was enough to boot into windows but rebooted on 3d mark 3rd test which is the cpu test.At that stage i changed one to many things and the rig froze on post not allowing to enter bios.So i reached for my duvet and went to bed lol! Woke up 4pm and reset bios and here i am.Ok post what voltage alterations you recommend to your config derek and ill start from there.Going to kung fu class tonight after 5 weeks so will make changes then,man am i going to suffer in class tonight lol.And will have to get cd 2morow so no memtest possible until then mate.Lets just try to get it booted with your config and adjustments.Cheers dude.Remember "If you cant beat em,throw the towel in!"lol! later.

If you need 1.5V+ for a stable 3.15Ghz then that is the most voltage hungry Core 2 I have ever seen.

I'm not sure if overclocking this CPU too much is a good idea if it needs that much voltage to be stable at 3.15. Go for 3.1Ghz and stick there is my advice.

Ok thanks derek,

just for informational purposes are you an engineer or self taught enthusiast.I in my experience have known self taught people to be as informed if not more informed than those trained.Cheers for your help at any rate mate.Im just about to order a quad core 6600 and put it into this rig.Nothing to do with this.I have to pcs so this cpu will go into my other pc,just need a psu and gcard fpr other rig.Thankgod xmas is round the corner lol.Im also when i get the time gonna start the 3.15 mhz clock with lowest voltages possible and raise one notch at a time to see if indeed i can get a stabler overclock on lower voltages,but i very much doubt it.Oh well.Good thing i enjoy the process then.,rofl!

Ok Derek just managed to boot system with 1.40v.I just did it as an experiment.Dunno how stable it will be ingaming but just about to give it a whirl before i go to kung fu.So maybe there hope for this cpu yet.Can you suggest which differences in our configs could be causing yours to free with this voltage but allows mine to boot.Many thanks m8.(note 1.35 will post but fails and restarts when trying to load windows.hope this helps)

Ok Derek just managed to boot system with 1.40v.I just did it as an experiment.Dunno how stable it will be ingaming but just about to give it a whirl before i go to kung fu.So maybe there hope for this cpu yet.Can you suggest which differences in our configs could be causing yours to free with this voltage but allows mine to boot.Many thanks m8.(note 1.35 will post but fails and restarts when trying to load windows.hope this helps)

I'm both self-taught and college educated in the field. After a physical injury I retrained in the field. I hold a Bachelor of Science Major (CIS), Minor Mathematics. However I have been working with computers since the days of the Commodore Vic 20 and overclocking since the 80286.

You can not compare CPU's the way you are doing. My CPU is an L629B330 and is a low VID CPU. Your CPU will very likely be more voltage hungry that mine but 1.5v is quite high for 3.15Ghz.

I gave you the tools to test with and you would do well to test with them.

Any changes to your memory should result in a Memtest of 2 or more passes. This is before you enter Windows. Never enter Windows after you have made changes to your memory without testing with Memtest.

Any changes to your CPU should result in a test of the CPU's stability. You can use the program OCCT for a 30 minute CPU stability test and then once you have finished tweaking the CPU for your final (or close to final) settings you can perform an ~8 hour Prime95 test. Don't use my voltage settings. Use yours. Test with OCCT. If stable, drop the Core Voltage an increment and retest. When you find instability, raise an increment and test again. If stable, then test with Prime95. If unstable with an ~8 hour Prime95, then raise an increment and you will find your voltage sweetspot. Post your final Core Temp with 15 minutes of OCCT or one hour of Prime95.

Download OCCT Perestroika Here

Hiya derek,

Thanks again for all the help and time you`ve given me.I do appreciate it mate.Ive overlooked one evry important factor i`d like you to give your opinion on.My bfg tech 680 i sli board supports only upto pc 6400,DDR2 800.When i bought the memory i told them the specs of the board and asked if there would be an issue running these modules on my board to which they replied no.However in respect of my overclocks after attempting to run theses modules at 1066 the computer crashes in game everytime and with loads of memory errors causing applications to crash aswell,i.e adaware etc.When i run them at 800 mhz no problems at all, with voltages within your recommended range.As a betting man although i havent done so yet but will do before i go to bed,i bet i manage to get higher clocks with 800mhz.Could this be my problem.That my board simply does not support these modules.Can you please clarify this for me.I have only 1 day remaining for the rma return or else its sell them on ebay,no real problem but i`d prefer to send them back to vendor ensuring i get a full refund for the modules so i can replace them with dominator 6400.Maybe if its ok with you we could swap msn.Makes communication that little bit easier.And yes im completely trashed after kung fu tonight after not going for 5 weeks and giving up smoking 2 weeks ago.Cheers dude.Lemme know A.S.A.P.(I will get cds tomorrow for memtest,didn`t have the chance 2day,cheers fella)(note:3150 clock at 800 mhz stable with your voltage range now mate.1.39 set manually however bios value shows 1.36,right on the money)

Archived