Corsair Community

Mini ITX build with H115i pro and 2 ML120 Question

won_chulupa

Hello, I'm a novice PC builder and my last (only) PC build was about 7-8 years ago. Right now, I am interested in building a mini-itx PC and had a question about mini-itx boards with multiple fans + a 280mm AIO cooler.

The specific products I am interested in are the Asus ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming Mini ITX mobo, Corsair H115i Pro AIO, and additional two Corsair ML120 Pro exhaust fans.

My question is, what is the best way to connect all these together?

Here is what I researched so far... The mobo has x1 CPU_FAN, x1 AIO_PUMP, and x1 CHA_FAN. Corsair AIO's manual says to plug in the pump to the CPU_FAN header, but I've read somewhere that it should be plugged into the AIO_PUMP header to run at max 100% and the radiator fans to the CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT, but this board doesn't have CPU_OPT. Also the manual says to connect the radiator fans to the plugs coming from the pump itself. What do I do?

To add to my confusion, I want to install additional two exhaust fans... Where do I connect those if I only have one CHA_FAN header? I know I can connect those to the PSU but don't they run at max speed which also introduces more noise?

Help a confused soul here. Thanks!

First, the H115i Pro cooler is SATA powered. So it doesn't get its power from the fan header; that's the issue that some folks refer to with the AIO_PUMP header. It does have a fan header that you'll want to plug in to the CPU_FAN header; this will provide a tach signal to the header so you don't get a CPU fan warning from the BIOS on boot.

The AIO headers on the Asus boards are really standard fan headers that are set to 100% by default. You can go into the BIOS and enable Q-Fan control for that header and use it just like any other fan header. Or you can use a splitter on the chassis fan header and power both fans from the single header. The only difference is in control; if you switch around the AIO header, you'll be able to control the fan speeds independently. If you use a splitter, both fans will be controlled together and run at the same speed.

First, the H115i Pro cooler is SATA powered. So it doesn't get its power from the fan header; that's the issue that some folks refer to with the AIO_PUMP header. It does have a fan header that you'll want to plug in to the CPU_FAN header; this will provide a tach signal to the header so you don't get a CPU fan warning from the BIOS on boot.

The AIO headers on the Asus boards are really standard fan headers that are set to 100% by default. You can go into the BIOS and enable Q-Fan control for that header and use it just like any other fan header. Or you can use a splitter on the chassis fan header and power both fans from the single header. The only difference is in control; if you switch around the AIO header, you'll be able to control the fan speeds independently. If you use a splitter, both fans will be controlled together and run at the same speed.

Thanks for the quick reply! So if I'm understanding this correctly, I should just follow the instructions from the Corsair manual... plug the sata power to PSU, then the radiator fans to the plugs from the pump, and then connnect the 4pin from the pump to the CPU_FAN header on the mobo. Which leaves me 2 headers free (CHA_FAN and AIO_PUMP) for the two exhaust fans I plan on using. Or use a splitter.

Did I get that right?

Thanks for the quick reply! So if I'm understanding this correctly, I should just follow the instructions from the Corsair manual... plug the sata power to PSU, then the radiator fans to the plugs from the pump, and then connnect the 4pin from the pump to the CPU_FAN header on the mobo. Which leaves me 2 headers free (CHA_FAN and AIO_PUMP) for the two exhaust fans I plan on using. Or use a splitter.

Did I get that right?

You did. :)

Archived