Corsair Community

Sudden reboots (no BSOD) after installing Corsair CSSD-F120GB2s

Snodre

Hi,

after I yesterday installed two Corsair Force 120GB SSDs (CSSD-F120GB2) in raid 0 (replacing the old array of two Samsung HDDs) I am now experiencing sudden reboots without any forewarning and with no log entries left in the event viewer. This has happened three times within the last eight hours, but there seems to be no pattern to it.

The SSDs came with firmware 2 installed and my Win 7(SP1)/64 bit system is running the last Intel drivers and the latest BIOS.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have searched the forum and found a lot of posts about BSODs but non relating to spontaneous reboots. May the symptoms indicate any other (hardware) issue or error? Can the SSD drives draw (significantly) more power than a Samsung 7200 SSD HD so that my 550W PSU is too small now?

I have so far lost two days of work to this problem, so any help is very much appreciated. I would not like to go back to HDDs for my workstation after experiencing the speed and noise level of SSD drives, but if I can’t resolve this within the next couple of days, that is what I will have to do.

The SSDs you've bought consume significantly LESS power than the regular HDDs you were using, so it's definitely not a case of too little fuel to power the system.

It does indeed point in the direction of a hardware failure. Do you have the opportunity to test the drives individually? Maybe in another machine? Maybe try plugging your Force drives into 2 other sata ports? Other than that I can't really help.

Just thought I'd throw it inthere...

Regards

FoLmEr

Thanks for the input! I have now replaced all sata cables and moved my ata and sata DVD and BD players to another controller, and the PC has now been stable for (a record breaking) 11,5 hours of normal load.

It may (hopefully) seem that I was too quick to assume the fault lay with the ssd's (being the only new elements added to the equation) and that the real reason may be damaged cables or the intel raid controller disliking the DVD and BD in combination with the ssd raid (although it has been rock solid for a year with a HDD raid 0).

Will post my results after a few more days when the shoulders come down and I am not living in constant terror of losing my work. :-)

Just a quick update: the system has now been stable fore close to four days (no sudden reboots since my last post) so I think it is a fair assumption that the problem is now solved and that it never was not directly related to the ssds.

The culprit seems to have been faulty cables or the Intel raid controller not being happy with the BD player connected to one of it's ports. My money is on the first.

The culprit seems to have been faulty cables ....

This is not the first time that i read this type of behavour with the problem being bad sata cables.

Also on other forums from other vendors you see problems pointing to cables.

Only when in RAID, the problem gets obvious.

As a standalone drive it seems to be less problematic to have a bad cable (althow changing the cable is mandatory here....)

But how do you test this ?

Now I always have the habbit of buying a new cable with a new drive but thats me ofcourse :sigh!:

Archived