Corsair Community

CUE 2 - Ripple effect from a specific key

AzzyDude24601

Well, this is certainly possible though not entirely intuitive. Under lighting effects you create a layer that does what you want it to and flip the little switch next to it to turn it off. Then under actions you'll add an action and change it to a timer type of action, click the finish line flag, and set the lighting to the effect that you created. Click a key to specify that the action should take place for that specific key and save it. Now you're set.

I apologize if this isn't really clear. I'm half asleep and trying to get it out before I nod off.

Well, this is certainly possible though not entirely intuitive. Under lighting effects you create a layer that does what you want it to and flip the little switch next to it to turn it off. Then under actions you'll add an action and change it to a timer type of action, click the finish line flag...

I got to this part no problem. Clicked the dropdown, select 'Timer' and saw the finish flag.

...and set the lighting to the effect that you created. Click a key to specify that the action should take place for that specific key and save it. Now you're set.

I can't figure out this part because all I see under the finish flag settings for the 'Timer' type is 'Sound' and 'Action' with a timer on the left. How do I set the lighting effect I created?

Maybe a sort of advanced option in the lighting menu that lets you specify a "trigger" key (or perhaps a trigger group of keys) that starts the lighting effect? If that were the case, you could easily set up a key to light up an entirely different region of the keyboard.

You have to have the advanced switch at the top turned on.

So I created the lighting effect to occur from the key that was pressed and it works fine. However, when I actually apply the timer action to a key, it doesn't originate from that key. It always starts from the center of the keyboard.

Is this the best that can be achieved?

Also I've observed that even after applying the lighting effect to the button, the button stops functioning other than to start the lighting effect. I applied it to spacebar and now the spacebar just causes the lighting and nothing else. I can'#t type spaces!

...Also I've observed that even after applying the lighting effect to the button, the button stops functioning other than to start the lighting effect. I applied it to spacebar and now the spacebar just causes the lighting and nothing else. I can'#t type spaces!

I'm having the same issue. My work around was to make is so that when the action ended it called a second macro action that pressed the key I want. Strangely though, this didn't work consistently. In notepad I could type the letter normally, but in the game I was making the profile for the key wouldn't register. MADDENING!

If any of the devs are reading this, can we please get this as a default option?

• Corsair Employee
I contacted support and they said it was available in CUE 1 but not in CUE 2. Why the hell it would be available in version 1 but not the next version, is bewildering to me.

There is nothing in CUE2 that isn't in CUE1 (except modes). We actually added even more features in CUE2 than CUE1. You can do key lighting from pressed key already as well and it works even better than it did in the first version.

Here is where the option is:

attachment.php?attachmentid=26820&stc=1&d=1477688797

534169804_PlayPressedKey.png.50503b04d01058da151941b842c2dd8a.png

It absolutely is possible, here i made a quick example, press A and only A to trigger the white wave across the whole keyboard.

[ATTACH]26819[/ATTACH]

Yes, this triggered the ripple, but it did not occur from A, it came from the middle of the keyboard. Is it possible to get it to start from A?

There is nothing in CUE2 that isn't in CUE1 (except modes). We actually added even more features in CUE2 than CUE1. You can do key lighting from pressed key already as well and it works even better than it did in the first version.

Here is where the option is:

attachment.php?attachmentid=26820&stc=1&d=1477688797

I'm not sure if you read through the entire thread. I am aware of the ripple functionality that exists in CUE 2.

The exact feature I am describing is for one single button on the keyboard to cause the ripple (e.g. just spacebar), have the ripple originate from that button and have the ripple occur across the keyboard.

Please see below for screenshot of Corsair support stating it was not possible to achieve in CUE 2 but it was available in CUE 1.

http://i.imgur.com/fPTD4fs.jpg

Most likely the profile is made with advanced mode, try to switch the setting at the top.

Yeah you were right, I updated my post. See below...

Yes, this triggered the ripple, but it did not occur from A, it came from the middle of the keyboard. Is it possible to get it to start from A?

• Corsair Employee
Yeah you were right, I updated my post. See below...

Check the box that says "Play from pressed key" - thats how it starts to play from the key pressed. Here, I made a gif to show how it looks. Notice where the ripple starts is different because I pressed a different key (spacebar, A, G, and F7).

attachment.php?attachmentid=26831&stc=1&d=1477950600

This is how it works if you select all of the keys. One of the enhancements we did was allowing you to choose what keys you want to ripple. It is now possible (unlike CUE 1) to have specific keys ripple and other keys to not ripple. You can also do wave patterns so the ripple is only 1 row of keys too. Remember, I made it better. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

example.gif.257ceff679638de7ded3e6ed1aaf78e8.gif

Check the box that says "Play from pressed key" - thats how it starts to play from the key pressed. Here, I made a gif to show how it looks. Notice where the ripple starts is different because I pressed a different key (spacebar, A, G, and F7).

This is how it works if you select all of the keys. One of the enhancements we did was allowing you to choose what keys you want to ripple. It is now possible (unlike CUE 1) to have specific keys ripple and other keys to not ripple. You can also do wave patterns so the ripple is only 1 row of keys too. Remember, I made it better. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

James, I don't know who isn't getting through to whom here. I am very aware of the checkbox that says 'Play from pressed key'. I see that. I've used it. I got it. The software isn't complicated. It does NOT help me, because I want a 'full keyboard ripple' but I don't want the ripple to happen on EVERY key I press.

I want only ONE key to cause a FULL KEYBOARD ripple. For the sake of specificity, let's say the ENTER key. I JUST want the ENTER key to cause the ripple. NO other button should cause a ripple. But the ENTIRE keyboard should ripple when the ENTER key is pressed. I really don't think I can be any clearer about this.

An 'advanced macro' method has been suggested in this thread to achieve this, and it works, however when you isolate the 'full keyboard ripple' to the ENTER key, the ripple defaults to starting from the middle of the keyboard, instead of starting from the ENTER key. Basically the 'play from pressed key' checkbox does not work with the custom macro.

Is there a workaround for this?

James, I don't know who isn't getting through to whom here. I am very aware of the checkbox that says 'Play from pressed key'. I see that. I've used it. I got it. The software isn't complicated. It does NOT help me, because I want a 'full keyboard ripple' but I don't want the ripple to happen on EVERY key I press.

I want only ONE key to cause a FULL KEYBOARD ripple. For the sake of specificity, let's say the ENTER key. I JUST want the ENTER key to cause the ripple. NO other button should cause a ripple. But the ENTIRE keyboard should ripple when the ENTER key is pressed. I really don't think I can be any clearer about this.

An 'advanced macro' method has been suggested in this thread to achieve this, and it works, however when you isolate the 'full keyboard ripple' to the ENTER key, the ripple defaults to starting from the middle of the keyboard, instead of starting from the ENTER key. Basically the 'play from pressed key' checkbox does not work with the custom macro.

Its possible to make a ripple start when pressing only a specific key which i demonstrated in the file i made 'Only A' but its not possible to get the ripple itself to start from the specific key.

• Corsair Employee

Okay Krazykid helped me understand. What youre asking for is a new type of feature that has never been implemented. You can have a macro action trigger lighting but it is not possible to have the lighting start from the key you press (something that has never been implemented).

Thank you James for taking the time to read and understand the issue. Do you think we can get this as feature in a future release of CUE2? I can think of so many ways to use this feature that would make for some really cool profiles.

I can see how this might be a little more difficult to implement, since you would have to allow for selecting keys to display the ripple on AND select keys to trigger the effect, but it would be nice to not have to go through the macro section since this is specifically about lighting.

Thank you James for taking the time to read and understand the issue. Do you think we can get this as feature in a future release of CUE2? I can think of so many ways to use this feature that would make for some really cool profiles.

I can see how this might be a little more difficult to implement, since you would have to allow for selecting keys to display the ripple on AND select keys to trigger the effect, but it would be nice to not have to go through the macro section since this is specifically about lighting.

Yes, please! :)

• 2 weeks later...
@James, I think the feature currently in place is fine as-is, but we're talking about something else. We are talking about, for example, having the enter key create a ripple from itself to the rest of the keyboard, but not having any other keys cause that to happen.

Archived