Corsair Community

Got HD-120 fans working w/ Gigabyte's RGB Fusion software!

solarity

The Corsair rgb fan controller has a lead for the SATA power on one end, and the plug where you can either connect the remote controller, or the 2 wire lead which already has the connections for data and ground. I already checked my Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 which has the cable for both 12V and 5V, so will consider doing a test with my extra RGB fan Controller box I took out of my computer case along with my spare SP120RGB fans to see if this works. There shouldn’t be any issue at all since in the video it shows connecting just those 2 cables to the certain leads in which the plug already has with mine. I still may use the Node Pro for the RGB Strips, and use Link for both the RM1000i power supply and H100iV2 cooler. Basically I had a compatibility issue using my K68, and K55 keyboards along with the Strafe and K65 mouse using both Cue and iCue in which due to Aorus’s RGB frequency, those will freeze up and disconnect. Again, more or less I’m looking for the right 1,2 scenario where I won’t have to use too many things with my RGB stuff in my PC.

Well to sum it up, the existing lead you would use between the Commander Pro, or the Node Pro to the RGB Fan Controller works just fine with the Gigabyte RGB Fusion as long as you plug everything the right way! No splicing or extra wiring is required. You don’t need to change the RGB Controller just for changing the SP to a HD or any other as the RGB Fan Controller is compatible with all Corsair RGB Fans. I’m still using the Commander Pro to Control for extra USB 2.0 headers I need such as the RM1000i and H100iV2, so that leaves an extra available USB 2.0 internal port available just in case. I’m still using my SP120RGB fans for 2 extra fans used for the Hard Drive Cage inside My Lian Li PC08WX Case for extra RGB Bling. I will soon Post a video. Sadly though my Corsair Keyboard and Mouse Peripherals which require Cue, or iCue is not compatible with Aorus. At least I will have usage for both of them on other computers I’ve built.

• 7 months later...
I have been bitten by the RGB bug and like lighting a little too much. I even wired up my home theater with RGB in the crown molding. It even syncs up with the remote so when you press play the lights turn off and pause turns them on, etc.

Anyway my Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard comes with 4 RGB headers on 3 channels:

Analog Channel: 2x 5pin 12v RGBW headers

Digital Channel 1: 1x 3pin 5v/12v (jumperable)

Digital Channel 2: 1x 3pin 5v/12v (jumperable)

First off, you can very easily damage your equipment if you do this wrong!!! I would highly advise most people to just buy the lighting node Pro, I am even considering it due to more specialized control that Link gives you as well as you get some digital RGB strips that have magnets to make life easier. It is also a lot more fool or "uhoh" proof as every connector is keyed.

I have all 3 HD-120 fans plugged into the HD-120 RGB Fan Hub. I have the RGB Hub powered via the attached 5v SATA power. The RGB Fan Hub has a 3pin keyed input that can be used to plug in the included controller or a Lighting Node Pro.

My motherboard has GDV Digital header (Ground, Digital Out, Voltage). It also has a jumper for the power (5v/12v). In my case I did not use the Voltage pin and left it open. I only used the Ground and the Digital Out pins.

I tore out some old case 2pin header connectors from an old case and spliced them together with solder. I then plugged one side into my motherboard's Digital Out and Ground connector, leaving the 5v/12v open. Again make sure to leave this open or you could possibly damage your LEDs. At least I didn't want to test this. 12v will kill them!

I then plugged the other end into the RGB Fan Hub's Data and Ground. The RGB Fan Hubs input has 5v,Data,Ground. The 5v is easily distinguished as it has a key hole above/below it. In other words if you see a slot in the plastic connector and a pin above/below it, then that is the power. I would avoid plugging that one in as it could damage the motherboard. The Data pin is also the center pin.

I haven't used Link, but I did watch Corsair's video on it and it showed only about 6 different modes, which I think included static and temperature, both of which Fusion also controls. Gigabyte's Fusion does have a lot more modes, though the software views the serial connected strips inside the fans as one long 36 LED strip. Fusion does have a lot more modes and allows you to control LED headers, RAM, and other compatible devices, it still doesn't know what is plugged into its headers. Link does give you more control as you can different modes for different strips/fans. Looking at Gigabyte's RGB Fusion site, it seems that the Digital headers are more geared for a digital RGB matrix, than actual strips or fans. A few of the modes seem to overlap on the fans, while they could be completely different on a matrix: https://www.gigabyte.com/mb/rgb/

I did buy the Corsair Lighting Pro, though haven't opened it up yet. Still waffling if I should use that or Fusion. I know my solution does work and I would like to add some digital LED strips, though as cheap as a reel of digital RGB strips are, I will have to add connectors and the adhesive seems to suck on a lot of these strips. The Corsair strips aren't high density, but they do have magnets, and most likely decent quality.

Hi !

I'd like to say a huge thank you man !

I was so frustrated that Corsair just lets you no choice but let you buy their expensive rgb hub which you still couldn't sync with your RGB header... Especially regarding the fact that these are just chained standard LEDs.

Then I saw your post and it changed my computer look, which I'm so glad now.

I posted a video about this mod on youtube in which I mentionned you & your topic. I hope you'll like it :)

Thanks again for sharing !

Vincent

[ame]

[/ame]

• 3 months later...
I have been bitten by the RGB bug and like lighting a little too much. I even wired up my home theater with RGB in the crown molding. It even syncs up with the remote so when you press play the lights turn off and pause turns them on, etc.

Anyway my Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard comes with 4 RGB headers on 3 channels:

Analog Channel: 2x 5pin 12v RGBW headers

Digital Channel 1: 1x 3pin 5v/12v (jumperable)

Digital Channel 2: 1x 3pin 5v/12v (jumperable)

First off, you can very easily damage your equipment if you do this wrong!!! I would highly advise most people to just buy the lighting node Pro, I am even considering it due to more specialized control that Link gives you as well as you get some digital RGB strips that have magnets to make life easier. It is also a lot more fool or "uhoh" proof as every connector is keyed.

I have all 3 HD-120 fans plugged into the HD-120 RGB Fan Hub. I have the RGB Hub powered via the attached 5v SATA power. The RGB Fan Hub has a 3pin keyed input that can be used to plug in the included controller or a Lighting Node Pro.

My motherboard has GDV Digital header (Ground, Digital Out, Voltage). It also has a jumper for the power (5v/12v). In my case I did not use the Voltage pin and left it open. I only used the Ground and the Digital Out pins.

I tore out some old case 2pin header connectors from an old case and spliced them together with solder. I then plugged one side into my motherboard's Digital Out and Ground connector, leaving the 5v/12v open. Again make sure to leave this open or you could possibly damage your LEDs. At least I didn't want to test this. 12v will kill them!

I then plugged the other end into the RGB Fan Hub's Data and Ground. The RGB Fan Hubs input has 5v,Data,Ground. The 5v is easily distinguished as it has a key hole above/below it. In other words if you see a slot in the plastic connector and a pin above/below it, then that is the power. I would avoid plugging that one in as it could damage the motherboard. The Data pin is also the center pin.

I haven't used Link, but I did watch Corsair's video on it and it showed only about 6 different modes, which I think included static and temperature, both of which Fusion also controls. Gigabyte's Fusion does have a lot more modes, though the software views the serial connected strips inside the fans as one long 36 LED strip. Fusion does have a lot more modes and allows you to control LED headers, RAM, and other compatible devices, it still doesn't know what is plugged into its headers. Link does give you more control as you can different modes for different strips/fans. Looking at Gigabyte's RGB Fusion site, it seems that the Digital headers are more geared for a digital RGB matrix, than actual strips or fans. A few of the modes seem to overlap on the fans, while they could be completely different on a matrix: https://www.gigabyte.com/mb/rgb/

I did buy the Corsair Lighting Pro, though haven't opened it up yet. Still waffling if I should use that or Fusion. I know my solution does work and I would like to add some digital LED strips, though as cheap as a reel of digital RGB strips are, I will have to add connectors and the adhesive seems to suck on a lot of these strips. The Corsair strips aren't high density, but they do have magnets, and most likely decent quality.

At last someone figured it out! at the end of the day digital is digital, it doesnt care what signal it receives as long as the voltage is correct, now, ive had nothing but problems with my lighting node pro box with it flickering my fans all the time even after corsair sent a replacement, i have 6 sp120 fans, i will now connect these to my aorus x470 gaming7 wifis digital header, thanks for confirming this can be done fella.

I have 2 sets of three sp120's 3 fans on two radiators, each set of three are wired together on the radiators, what i mean is i soldered 2 sets of 3 of the power plugs, if you do this only connect one of the threes speed sensor wires or the motherboards sensor reader will get confused and display 65535rpm

its pointless connecting all 6 of the fans power plugs separately to the motherboard its a waste of sockets. so i did it in a 2x3 configuration

as i say if you do this only connect the speed sensor from one of the three fans

EDIT:

The sp120 fans do not work as they're wired differently, however, check these out:

These DO work flawlessly.

6 of em for 38 Quid.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JQC1TKB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Edited by Paul S

At last someone figured it out! at the end of the day digital is digital, it doesnt care what signal it receives as long as the voltage is correct, now, ive had nothing but problems with my lighting node pro box with it flickering my fans all the time even after corsair sent a replacement, i have 6 sp120 fans, i will now connect these to my aorus x470 gaming7 wifis digital header, thanks for confirming this can be done fella.

I have 2 sets of three sp120's 3 fans on two radiators, each set of three are wired together on the radiators, what i mean is i soldered 2 sets of 3 of the power plugs, if you do this only connect one of the threes speed sensor wires or the motherboards sensor reader will get confused and display 65535rpm

its pointless connecting all 6 of the fans power plugs separately to the motherboard its a waste of sockets. so i did it in a 2x3 configuration

as i say if you do this only connect the speed sensor from one of the three fans

Will ... for the most part, digital is digital. Well, to be more accurate, for the most part, the RGB used in computers these days is WS2812b. Note that I said "for the most part" ... there are exceptions to this, most notably the SP-RGB Fans are not WS2812b. So they won't work with a motherboard addressable header.

Will ... for the most part, digital is digital. Well, to be more accurate, for the most part, the RGB used in computers these days is WS2812b. Note that I said "for the most part" ... there are exceptions to this, most notably the SP-RGB Fans are not WS2812b. So they won't work with a motherboard addressable header.

Yea this is true, what IC's do these sp120 fans use then?