Corsair Community

When I make my lights white my PC instantly shuts down

Aydin

Hi all, I have a problem in iCue that i have no idea how to solve or what would be causing it.

In iCue, if I select a profile that includes the colour white on any RGB product or I do instant lighting and make it white then my PC instantly shuts down, the boots in safe mode.

I cannot remove the colour white from them profiles because as soon as i click on that profile my PC shuts down. If i play a game that triggers that profile them my PC shuts down. Pretty much anything that causes the lights to be white makes my PC shut down.

I never had this problem until I bought the Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion Kit. I got 2 LNP Expansion kits and connected them to my existing LNP. I have 6 strips on 1 channel and the other 2 on another channel. Since I got them ive been having this problem.

In all likelihood you are exceeding the 5v rail capacity for your PSU and it is shutting down to protect itself. I am having a hard time finding specific information for your PSU regarding this. Not sure if it is going to 10A limit on your 5v rail or something else. Look on the side sticker on the PSU or the box if you have it.

The Corsair RGB and all other D-RGB systems use the 5v rail. That didn't get used for too many things before this. White uses the most power compared to other colors with lower values and brightness than 255/255/255. One short term way out of this might be to turn your LNP master brightness down to 1/3 or even zero. Then remove the white from existing patterns. You may want to leave the brightness set a 1/3 or 2/3 all of the time for now. There is no reason to be dancing around the power limit and nothing good comes out of that. The brightness slider is in the settings tab up top for the LNP.

The other thing to look at is what else is connected to the same SATA power cable as the LNP. A bunch off HDDs? Something else using 5v power? Moving the LNP to its own SATA cable may help.

Thankyou for your reply. I forgot to mention that I installed 32gb of Corsair Vengeance rgb pro RAM the other day and my pc has been shutting down more often since it installed it. It just randomly shuts off without warning or anything, screen just goes black and all rgb lights and everything shuts off. No windows shutting down screen or anything, just turns everything off in less than a second and the reboots in safe mode. Is it possible my psu is overheating or being overdrawn? im looking at getting a new PSU anyways so if this is the problem then i have no issues upgrading.

I do have a lot of rgb products connected. I have 10 rgb fans connected and 3 non rgb fans, cpu pump, RAM, NZXT underglow kit, Phanteks NEON RGB Strip, 8x Corsair LNP Strips, 1x Corsair LNP, 1x Corsair Commander Pro, 2x Corsair Lighting Node Core, 1 ssd, 1 hdd, Creative Sound blasterx AE-5 Sound Card, and a bunch of USB devices.

I think you need a new PSU. :)

That's a lot of gear, but not really out of the ordinary these days. The problem is a 550W PSU just isn't going to have the stronger 5v rails. Even with a very expensive PSU, it's not that hard to run out 5v current supply.

At the present, a PSU safety shutdown would be a hard power off and no reboot. There may be another issue. However, even if you told me everything was working great, but then gave me the product list above, I would still tell you to start looking at PSUs. That is the weak link in the system and from experience, the PSU is not something you want to cut corners on. You usually end up paying a price later and PSU problems can be very difficult to isolate or even identify.

I would keep the brightness down and avoid all white for the time being.

yep i would go along with c-attacks diagnosis.

if the PSU in your system details is correct you only have 20a on the 5v rail...

from my research. all Corsairs PSU's below 1000w are generally (never higher) 25a limit and 1200w and above are 30a limit

Thanks for the advice guys. I built this system about 4 or 5 years ago and didnt have all this gear at the time. When I first built the system the 550W was adequate but over the years I have bought more and more products. I just created my corsair account the other day so all my system specs are current.

Ill save up and get the ASUS ROG Thor 1200W PSU. I wanted to get it anyways and should only take me a week or 2, max 3 weeks to save up for it.