Corsair Community

Corsair RGB Build in PC-O11 Dynamic

MorninWood

Hello,

I'm planning to build a new system to upgrade from my 3-year old rig and I want to know if I understand everything correctly. And what better time to do that than now when everyone is stuck at home. I have read Zotty's FAQ but I'm not sure if I understand everything correctly.

Case: Lian Li pc-o11 dynamic white

CPU: i7-9700k

AIO: corsair h100i platinum se (switching out both white ll120 for white ql120's in push configuration)

Mobo: gigabyte z390 aorus ultra

GPU: gigabyte rtx 2060 super gaming oc white

Ram: corsair 32gb (4x8) vengeance rgb pro 3200mhz cl16

PSU: corsair rm850x

Fans: 9x corsair ql120 white (including 2 on aio. planning to only use 6 as case fans with 1 leftover since im buying 3 triple packs)

Hubs: 1x Commander Pro, 3x Lighting Node Core (only using 1 LNC for planned build)

LED: 4x corsair rgb led strips

After looking over the FAQ and watching some Corsair How-To videos, this is my overall understanding of the RGB hardware setup:

• I Will be using 6 ql120 fans as case fans in the o11 dynamic. 3 on the bottom and 3 on the side/front area beside mobo
  • The rgb control for the 6 fans will be plugged into the 6 rgb channels in one LNC for rgb control in iCue
  • The pwm control for the 6 fans will be plugged into the 6 pwm headers on CP for fan speed control in iCue
  • The LNC will be plugged into one of the USB headers on the CP
  • The 4 rgb strips will be daisy chained together with one end connected to one of the LED channels in CP for rgb control
  • On the CP, the sata cable will be connected to the PSU and the USB cable will be connected to a USB 2.0 header on mobo.
  • The last 2 ql120 fans will be mounted onto the H100i radiator in a push configuration with the pwm and rgb cables connected to the pump's pwm and rgb connectors respectively.
  • The pump power cable will be connected to the PSU via sata, the pump control cable will be connected to the cpu_fan header on mobo, and the pump rgb cable will be connected to a USB 2.0 header on mobo. (This setup will allow me to control pump speed, pump head rgb, fan speed, and fan rgb correct?)
  • The 240mm radiator will be mounted to the top of the case and shifted to the back so that it's directly above mobo.

Also, I mentioned above that since I'm using 8x ql120 fans total in the case and on aio, I have 1 fan left over. So lets say I want to add this leftover to the 6x case fans already in the case, making it 7x case fans. I would have to use fan splitters, correct? As I'm less knowledgable about the more advanced build's I read about in Zotty's FAQ, here is what I came up with theoretically.

• Since the 6x pwm headers on the CP are already filled up, I would need to use a pwm fan splitter to join 2 of the fans into 1 pwm header (this would only be the case if I wanted to control all 7x fan speeds in iCue correct?).
  • Then I have 2 choices: Use a fan rgb splitter to join 2 of the fan's rgb cables into 1 rgb channel in the LNC, or add another LNC to the build and connect the 7th fan's rgb connector into that and then add that LNC to the other USB header on the CP (what would be the difference between these two approaches?)
  • Finally, since the rad is 240mm and situated at the back end of the top of the case, I can mount the 7th fan onto the top of the case at the front end.

I'm hoping I got everything right but please let me know if there are any mistakes, better routing options, etc.

After the past few weeks of research into this project there are still things I do not understand. So as for questions, please bear with me as I have quite a few.

• Since the 7th fan will need a pwm splitter, will both the 6th and 7th fan show up in iCue as a single "6th" fan? And when setting the speed for that "6th" fan, will that apply to both fans? Meaning, since I'm using the splitter, I lose the ability to customize the 7th fan's speed individually since it will be linked to the same speed as the 6th?
  • Since the the 7th fan has 2 options when connecting its rgb cable, if I went with the first one and used a fan rgb splitter, would that result in a similar situation as the question above but in terms of rgb lighting? (so both fans will only show the same LED effects at all times?). If I went with the second option and hooked up the fan to a 2nd LNC, and that to the CP, would that 7th fan get normal RGB options such as iCue's synced lighting link effects?)
  • Since the 2 fans on the radiator are connected to the pump's pwm and rgb connectors, does that mean I will be controlling the fan speed's and rgb effects under the aio tab in iCue separate from the hardware hooked up to the CP?
  • If I plug the 2 radiator fans' rgb cable to the theoretical 2nd LNC (the one with the single 7th case fan) instead of having it connected to the pump rgb connectors, would that make a difference in rgb lighting capability or any other difference at all?
  • Since the 6 case fans and theoretical 7th case fan are connected to LNC's, which are connected to the USB header on CP, would that mean that those 7 fans will show up under LNC tabs in iCue? The way I see it is that since LNC's are connected to CP through USB, the CP acts as a passthrough to the motherboard, and what iCue recognizes in the software is actually the LED channels on the LNC. Based on this theory that means the only thing showing up under the CP tab in iCue would be the 4x LED strips and the 6x pwm fan speeds correct?
  • I've seen some youtube video's where people plug the pump USB cable into one of the USB 2.0 headers on the CP instead of directly plugging it into a USB 2.0 header on the mobo. Does this make any difference other than saving an extra USB 2.0 header on my mobo? Would it make a difference in iCue such that the pump head rgb will instead by controlled by the CP?
  • I believe there are 2 USB 3.1 headers on my mobo so I'm curious if it would make a difference if I plugged the CP and pump USB cable into the USB 3.1 headers instead of the USB 2.0 headers? (I feel like I'm badly misunderstanding this part and both headers work in entirely different ways)
  • Lastly, do ql120 fans have hardware playback?

Also, how do I make those diagrams I see in Zotty's FAQ so that next time I can save some time and just post a picture of my diagram instead if I have more questions?

Please let me know if I'm missing anything, etc. and thank you so much for your time. I know this is a difficult time for everyone so any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading and stay safe!:biggrin:

*IS THIS POST IN THE RIGHT THREAD?*

Edited by MorninWood
not sure if post is in right thread

Well, what a WALL POST!

First of all, you have studied well, your basis is good to me.

I'll try to answer some of your questions.

First of all, if you use a Y splitter for RPM cables, the 2 fans will rotate at the same speed you set for that CoPro channel. Corsair recommends not to bind more than 2 fans per channel, as doing so you could exceed the power for a single port and possibly burn it. I'm waiting for a 4-ways powered splitter to see if it bypasses this limitation.

RGB fan splitters are not so easy to retrieve... Corsair does not provide them, the only place I know is an eBay seller (you can easily find it). I've never used one, but I suppose it's the same as for RPM splitters, the 2 fans will act identically.

I don't hjave a H100i Platinum AIO, so I can't answer for that... but I think your suppositions are correct.

Yes, the CoPro acts like a USB Hub regarding its onboard ports, so connecting something to it or to a mobo's header carries the same results.

Watch out your mobo manual carefully about USB headers, USB connectors are a real mess and it's easy to make a mistake. By the way, Corsair's stuff use 2.0 plugs, so any phisically different header will need an adapter to work

Baio

It's a lot to take in, isn't it? You've clearly done your homework and have almost everything nailed down. I'll try to fill in what's left.

First obstacle is going to be the H100i Platinum cooler. Yes, it has its own fan speed and lighting controller. This is good since it takes 2 fans off the Commander Pro's load and it will also keep them running from the native coolant temperature sensor at all times, with or without the software. The bad news is the Platinum's lighting controller isn't going to be able to handle the QL fan's 70 LEDs. It was designed when there were only HD/ML/LL and the world works in terms of LED count (12/4/16 respectively). Those at least all had some common factors, so you could play around a bit with mixing odd combinations or different fans. The QL at 35 LEDs blows a hole through that. It is going to need it's own lighting controller.

Two ways to handle this. 1) Use the 2nd LNC. It will take the top two fans and the "9th" if you ever decide to use it. It will show up in iCUE as "Lighting Node Core (1)"{rename it} and operate as an independent lighting controller, regardless if you use the Commander Pro's pass through or connect it directly to the MB. 2) Option 2 is pack up the 3rd box of QL fans and use the 2 LL that come with the SE. Those will run from the Platinum's own controller, the AIO and those two fans will act like a separate RGB device (just like a 2nd LNC). I built an O11D last year and at that time it sat on a very tall bookcase above my head when sitting. I looked up into the top/side LL fans all day and it looked fabulous. Then I moved it down to earth on a side table at desk height. Now I couldn't see the top fans at all anymore. Other than cast down light, they were essentially invisible on the top 360mm radiator. Now the QL are different in the side cut light rings making them visible from the side and I have a tray of them right next me on the desk. If you love the QL, use the 2nd controller. It's somewhat hard to recommend buying LL fans these days if you put a QL next to it.

That was the only major build decision I see in the above. I'll try to answer the odds and ends below.

• Fan control splitters - Both fans will run the same speed and get the same signal from the duplicated source header. This is not a problem since you won't have cause to run the three bottom or three side fans at different speeds. The only downside here is the O11 is a case that clearly sets up as a "triple" with all the 3x120 stuff, but the C-Pro does not often like triple spliters. If you do the 9th free air exhaust fan up top, take two of the side panel fans and pair them with a dual splitter to free up one for the top so it can have it's own control curve. It seems like you have the 6 covered at 1:1 for the time being.

• RGB Splitters - They work in the same way and both fans would be mirror images of each other, completing an identical color pattern at the same time. This works fine in a lot of cases, but the O11 clearly sets up for sequential fan lighting and watching it race around is the obviously the fun part. I would avoid this if you can and I think you are going to need the 2nd LNC anyway.

• Separate RGB device controllers - Each RGB controller or channel will act like its own system. If you tell it to do sequential lighting, it will start on Fan #1 and stop at the last fan on that controller before returning to #1 again. In order for it to go from one controller to the next, you need to use the Lighting Link patterns or be very, very good at your programming. The tricky bit here is when you are using two of the same controllers, like 2 LNC. iCUE is going to load them in a different order each time. Some times the top will be first. Other times the bottom/side controller. That can change the order. There is a pre-defined order for KB, mouse, RAM, AIO, RGB fans, and it changes depending on the specific lighting link pattern, but there is not a solution I know of for the flip flopping identical controllers. This really only comes into play when trying to do specific sequential patters that start at fan 1 and goes until fan 9 across both controllers. You will figure out some adaptations as you go along.

• USB connections - It doesn't really matter if you go direct to the MB or use the C-Pro pass through ports, either in terms of functionality or the load order discussed above. Since you are likely to have all of this is in back, it surely easier to keep the USB cable back there as well vs running it back to the front MB. The connections are all 2.0 and theoretically you could use a 3.1 to 2.0 adapter, but I would not unless there was a problem with using the pass through ports or some other reason.

• All the Corsair RGB fans are capable of hardware lighting playback, including the QL. On first boot they will rainbow up. Once detected in iCUE, my brand new LNC defaulted to white for HW playback. This is easily changed in the "Hardware Lighting" tab in each specific device.

Well, what a WALL POST!

First of all, you have studied well, your basis is good to me.

I'll try to answer some of your questions.

First of all, if you use a Y splitter for RPM cables, the 2 fans will rotate at the same speed you set for that CoPro channel. Corsair recommends not to bind more than 2 fans per channel, as doing so you could exceed the power for a single port and possibly burn it. I'm waiting for a 4-ways powered splitter to see if it bypasses this limitation.

RGB fan splitters are not so easy to retrieve... Corsair does not provide them, the only place I know is an eBay seller (you can easily find it). I've never used one, but I suppose it's the same as for RPM splitters, the 2 fans will act identically.

I don't hjave a H100i Platinum AIO, so I can't answer for that... but I think your suppositions are correct.

Yes, the CoPro acts like a USB Hub regarding its onboard ports, so connecting something to it or to a mobo's header carries the same results.

Watch out your mobo manual carefully about USB headers, USB connectors are a real mess and it's easy to make a mistake. By the way, Corsair's stuff use 2.0 plugs, so any phisically different header will need an adapter to work

Baio

Thanks for the quick reply man! Judging by your and c-attack's suggestions I'll probably avoid the rgb splitter and use a 2nd LNC connected to the CP. Really appreciate the help!

Edited by MorninWood

It's a lot to take in, isn't it? You've clearly done your homework and have almost everything nailed down. I'll try to fill in what's left.

First obstacle is going to be the H100i Platinum cooler. Yes, it has its own fan speed and lighting controller. This is good since it takes 2 fans off the Commander Pro's load and it will also keep them running from the native coolant temperature sensor at all times, with or without the software. The bad news is the Platinum's lighting controller isn't going to be able to handle the QL fan's 70 LEDs. It was designed when there were only HD/ML/LL and the world works in terms of LED count (12/4/16 respectively). Those at least all had some common factors, so you could play around a bit with mixing odd combinations or different fans. The QL at 35 LEDs blows a hole through that. It is going to need it's own lighting controller.

Two ways to handle this. 1) Use the 2nd LNC. It will take the top two fans and the "9th" if you ever decide to use it. It will show up in iCUE as "Lighting Node Core (1)"{rename it} and operate as an independent lighting controller, regardless if you use the Commander Pro's pass through or connect it directly to the MB. 2) Option 2 is pack up the 3rd box of QL fans and use the 2 LL that come with the SE. Those will run from the Platinum's own controller, the AIO and those two fans will act like a separate RGB device (just like a 2nd LNC). I built an O11D last year and at that time it sat on a very tall bookcase above my head when sitting. I looked up into the top/side LL fans all day and it looked fabulous. Then I moved it down to earth on a side table at desk height. Now I couldn't see the top fans at all anymore. Other than cast down light, they were essentially invisible on the top 360mm radiator. Now the QL are different in the side cut light rings making them visible from the side and I have a tray of them right next me on the desk. If you love the QL, use the 2nd controller. It's somewhat hard to recommend buying LL fans these days if you put a QL next to it.

Haha yea sorry for the long post. I just wanted to make sure I had everything I knew typed out in the post to make it easier for people to understand and help with my situation. So thank you so much for the long reply! :)

So lets say I decide to go with the 2nd LNC. The way I understand it is the pwm cables on the ql120 fans stay connected to the pump's pwm connectors which will still be controlled under the aio tab in iCue. The only difference being the fan's rgb cables which will be connected to the 2nd LNC alongside the "9th" fan. That LNC will be connected to either the 2nd USB 2.0 header on CP or a header on the mobo.

• Fan control splitters - Both fans will run the same speed and get the same signal from the duplicated source header. This is not a problem since you won't have cause to run the three bottom or three side fans at different speeds. The only downside here is the O11 is a case that clearly sets up as a "triple" with all the 3x120 stuff, but the C-Pro does not often like triple spliters. If you do the 9th free air exhaust fan up top, take two of the side panel fans and pair them with a dual splitter to free up one for the top so it can have it's own control curve. It seems like you have the 6 covered at 1:1 for the time being.

I'm a bit confused about this part. Since the "9th" fan is a case fan, wouldn't that mean that all those case fans would run at the same speed? So why would the "9th" fan need its own CP pwm slot and own control curve if it's aligned with the control curve of the rest of the case fans? Unless, when you say "the O11 sets up as a triple with the 3x120", you mean that the "9th" fan should follow the 2 rad fan's curve regardless if it is used as a case fan while the other two are used as rad fans? If that is the case, would I simply set the "9th" fan's curve to match the 2 rad fan's curve?

• RGB Splitters - They work in the same way and both fans would be mirror images of each other, completing an identical color pattern at the same time. This works fine in a lot of cases, but the O11 clearly sets up for sequential fan lighting and watching it race around is the obviously the fun part. I would avoid this if you can and I think you are going to need the 2nd LNC anyway.

Yep, totally agreed here. Avoiding rgb splitter and going to add the 2nd LNC.

• Separate RGB device controllers - Each RGB controller or channel will act like its own system. If you tell it to do sequential lighting, it will start on Fan #1 and stop at the last fan on that controller before returning to #1 again. In order for it to go from one controller to the next, you need to use the Lighting Link patterns or be very, very good at your programming. The tricky bit here is when you are using two of the same controllers, like 2 LNC. iCUE is going to load them in a different order each time. Some times the top will be first. Other times the bottom/side controller. That can change the order. There is a pre-defined order for KB, mouse, RAM, AIO, RGB fans, and it changes depending on the specific lighting link pattern, but there is not a solution I know of for the flip flopping identical controllers. This really only comes into play when trying to do specific sequential patters that start at fan 1 and goes until fan 9 across both controllers. You will figure out some adaptations as you go along.

Hmm, that is quite a complication since I plan to use mostly lighting link effects. Also a bit confused here as well. By your explanation, do you mean that every time my pc boots, iCue will load each LNC in a different order every time? Or do you mean that different lighting link patterns will cause the pre-defined order to change? Or do you mean both will happen? Anyhow, to combat the 2 LNC order problem, here is what I've thought out. Scrap the 2nd (top fans) LNC and replace it with a RGB fan hub + LNP. Would that work since it's a different RGB controller? (I'm replacing the 2nd LNC instead of the 1st with the hub + LNP since LNP restricts to 1 LED channel if 6x ql120 fans are connected to the hub, so in the future in case I want to use that 2nd LED channel, I have the option to)

• USB connections - It doesn't really matter if you go direct to the MB or use the C-Pro pass through ports, either in terms of functionality or the load order discussed above. Since you are likely to have all of this is in back, it surely easier to keep the USB cable back there as well vs running it back to the front MB. The connections are all 2.0 and theoretically you could use a 3.1 to 2.0 adapter, but I would not unless there was a problem with using the pass through ports or some other reason.

Ok I understand. I'll just route all USB to 2.0 headers depending on space, looks, cable management, etc.

• All the Corsair RGB fans are capable of hardware lighting playback, including the QL. On first boot they will rainbow up. Once detected in iCUE, my brand new LNC defaulted to white for HW playback. This is easily changed in the "Hardware Lighting" tab in each specific device.

I thought hardware playback meant that hardware lighting profiles will be stored on the device so that the profiles would still work without the iCue software running?

I also have one more question. I know that when hooking up fans to the LNC's, I should order then sequentially (1-6 since lighting link effects will start with port 1?). So when I'm setting up the fan's in the case, does it matter which fan is "1" as long as it's sequential?

Again, thank you so much for all your help! I know my build is long and complicated.:laughing: I really appreciate it especially during these difficult times. :biggrin:

I'm a bit confused about this part. Since the "9th" fan is a case fan, wouldn't that mean that all those case fans would run at the same speed? So why would the "9th" fan need its own CP pwm slot and own control curve if it's aligned with the control curve of the rest of the case fans? Unless, when you say "the O11 sets up as a triple with the 3x120", you mean that the "9th" fan should follow the 2 rad fan's curve regardless if it is used as a case fan while the other two are used as rad fans? If that is the case, would I simply set the "9th" fan's curve to match the 2 rad fan's curve?

I casually suggested the 9th fan up top have its own C-Pro fan control header because it is likely to follow a different curve than the other fans. There is no reason to match it to the other two top radiator fans and there isn't a direct connection between those functions. A radiator will cut your fan's box specified CFM in half (or thereabouts). If you need to run the top fans at 1300 rpm in for the benefit of the CPU coolant temp, that doesn't mean the free exhaust fan next to it needs to do the same. In can be run a lower levels. There is not reason to run any of the 3 side fans at different speeds, but I wasn't sure if they were going to be intake or exhaust. If exhaust, you could pair those 4 fans in twos and that would be logical. If the side fans are intake, you might want them to run at different speeds that the single top exhaust No matter what, it was more of a "that one is different than the rest" kind of observation and recommendation. There is no wrong here and this is definitely user preference.

The quip about triples is the frustration with the Commander not liking three way splitters. I have already done an O11D and am about to start an XL this morning. It means in you often have to use 2 headers to control 3 fans that do not need separate fan curves. Yes, you try your luck with the 3-way splitters but it really is hit or miss. I must have 10-15 different ones. Some never work. Some work most of the time, but having to tear off the back and start messing with it 2-3 days a week isn't a good way to go. The powered PWM hub would work, but adding three of those for a 9 fan case seems silly. It's just a math thing with 2s and 3s. Now all that said, a QL is 0.30A per fan so a triple is 0.9 of the 1.0A limit. That is above the risk line I draw for expensive fan controllers and even more expensive fans. I won't be doing any triples with my QLs today either.

Hmm, that is quite a complication since I plan to use mostly lighting link effects. Also a bit confused here as well. By your explanation, do you mean that every time my pc boots, iCue will load each LNC in a different order every time? Or do you mean that different lighting link patterns will cause the pre-defined order to change? Or do you mean both will happen? Anyhow, to combat the 2 LNC order problem, here is what I've thought out. Scrap the 2nd (top fans) LNC and replace it with a RGB fan hub + LNP. Would that work since it's a different RGB controller? (I'm replacing the 2nd LNC instead of the 1st with the hub + LNP since LNP restricts to 1 LED channel if 6x ql120 fans are connected to the hub, so in the future in case I want to use that 2nd LED channel, I have the option to)

Yes, when using two or more of the same device, iCUE doesn't appear to have a way to prioritize one over the other. Sometimes A will be first. Sometimes B. Using the LNP + lighting hub won't solve this. I don't think iCUE has a hierarchy for LNP vs LNC load order, but I only used it for about 24 hours like this. Also, you have already noted the limitation and that effectively makes the LNP no different than a LNC.

However, I think you have hit upon one possible solution. You already have a LNP in the case. It's inside the Commander. There are two lighting channels there. The Commander most definitely will run its lighting sequence Ch1 -> Ch2. That opens the option to using all 9 QL fans on the C-Pro (this would require 2 lighting hubs) and probably then an actual LNP (no lighting hub) to power the RGB strips. I don't even know if you have any RGB hubs. A second way to do it would be keep the strips on one C-Pro RGB Channel and the 1-6 QL on Ch 2 (again requires RGB Lighting hub). Then use a LNC for the last 3 QL (whatever end you want last in the sequence). The C-Pro should load before the LNC or LNP every time. This is a lot of analyzing right now for something that is at minimum a partial unknown. There may be only 1-2 effects that fall victim to this and you may not even like them. I am also concerned there are hidden rules here not immediately evident. I would set up with the hardware you have. If it doesn't work to satisfaction, then you can start chasing down a RGB Lighting Hub. By the time you get to that, I will be in a better position to test these before you try.

Also of note, some of the QL unique effects will not be available for lighting link. They will need to run their sequence for that device/RGB channel only. That is something to consider when setting up the lighting on the two 6 + 3. My recommendation is to put the top fans on the 3 and the bottom and side as the 6, but this will be heavily based on your viewing angle.

I thought hardware playback meant that hardware lighting profiles will be stored on the device so that the profiles would still work without the iCue software running?

That is how it works. The setting is saved to the lighting controller (LNC, LNP, Commander). That also ties it to the device, so if you blow up your C-Pro in a puff of smoke and have to get a new one, you also have to set the HW lighting again. Same thing thing for swapping a LNC for LNP, etc. This is not an obstacle or impediment of any kind and takes seconds to do. I thought it was interesting it defaulted to white. Years of complaints about the spiral rainbow madness (especially before we had hardware playback) and this one defaulted to white after being detected.

also have one more question. I know that when hooking up fans to the LNC's, I should order then sequentially (1-6 since lighting link effects will start with port 1?). So when I'm setting up the fan's in the case, does it matter which fan is "1" as long as it's sequential?

Most sequential effects go 1-6. Some allow you to reverse and go 6-> 1. It does not physically matter where the fan is located. So if you set it up one way, but then don't like the sequence, you only need to reorder the fans at the LNC. No need to move anything.

Yes, this stuff is complicated. Let's see if I can get this done in one day.

OK, let's clean this up a bit. You got me thinking about the sequential effects and something was digging at me from when I did this 2 days ago. I pulled the radiator racked QL fans and hooked a LNC to my 740 Air system with a lot of other hardware.

1) There are only a few Lighting Link effects that have a clear sequence from point A -> B. Those are Visor and Type lighting. Color Wave does progress as well, but it is a sea of waves of different colors so the problem we are talking about doesn't matter. Visor is extremely fast, but the only one where you can follow a clear path. Type Lighting is only evident when you hit 1-2 keystrokes/clicks and then watch it. If you are actually doing stuff, it will be an overload of color. This leaves visor as the only Lighting Link possible affected program.

2) The sequence order for any of these is hardware specific, meaning RAM vs fans vs keyboard vs AIO cooler vs strips, etc. So as I run Lighting Link Visor right now, the path is KB -> Mouse -> Strips -> CPU Hydro X block -> QL add on fans (LNC) -> HD fans (ch1) -> HD fans (Ch2) -> RAM -> LS100 ambient lighting strips. There are some changes for other lighting link sequences. For example, RAM gets moved up to after the KB for Type Lighting and it does a light show as you hit the keys.

3) I already was aware of point #2, but the surprise here is the LNC with the 3 QL gets prioritized over the 9 HD fans on the Commander Pro. I don't know how it determines that, but it shoots down the theory you can control this my moving the fans from one device to another -- at least for now. I am assuming it does this by giving the QL a higher priority than HD fans. I assumed it would treat fans equally and then default to device order to sort it out. It does not. This still does not resolve the question of what happens with 9 QL on two LNCs, but again I would not start jumping through hoops until there is a problem. Lighting Link Visor is going to be the only effect where this is visible... and only if you stare really hard. I would not proceed with any of the above options about loading fans onto RGB channels on the Commander at this point.

Edited by c-attack

I casually suggested the 9th fan up top have its own C-Pro fan control header because it is likely to follow a different curve than the other fans. There is no reason to match it to the other two top radiator fans and there isn't a direct connection between those functions. A radiator will cut your fan's box specified CFM in half (or thereabouts). If you need to run the top fans at 1300 rpm in for the benefit of the CPU coolant temp, that doesn't mean the free exhaust fan next to it needs to do the same. In can be run a lower levels. There is not reason to run any of the 3 side fans at different speeds, but I wasn't sure if they were going to be intake or exhaust. If exhaust, you could pair those 4 fans in twos and that would be logical. If the side fans are intake, you might want them to run at different speeds that the single top exhaust No matter what, it was more of a "that one is different than the rest" kind of observation and recommendation. There is no wrong here and this is definitely user preference.

The quip about triples is the frustration with the Commander not liking three way splitters. I have already done an O11D and am about to start an XL this morning. It means in you often have to use 2 headers to control 3 fans that do not need separate fan curves. Yes, you try your luck with the 3-way splitters but it really is hit or miss. I must have 10-15 different ones. Some never work. Some work most of the time, but having to tear off the back and start messing with it 2-3 days a week isn't a good way to go. The powered PWM hub would work, but adding three of those for a 9 fan case seems silly. It's just a math thing with 2s and 3s. Now all that said, a QL is 0.30A per fan so a triple is 0.9 of the 1.0A limit. That is above the risk line I draw for expensive fan controllers and even more expensive fans. I won't be doing any triples with my QLs today either.

Ok I see. Yea sorry I forgot to mention I will be setting the fans for optimal temps and airflow, and according to a video I watched from hardwarecanucks, the best configuration would be bottom and side fans as intake while the top rad + 9th fan are exhaust which is what I'll be doing. So ill split 2 side fans and leave the top with its own CP connection like you suggested.

Yes, when using two or more of the same device, iCUE doesn't appear to have a way to prioritize one over the other. Sometimes A will be first. Sometimes B. Using the LNP + lighting hub won't solve this. I don't think iCUE has a hierarchy for LNP vs LNC load order, but I only used it for about 24 hours like this. Also, you have already noted the limitation and that effectively makes the LNP no different than a LNC.

However, I think you have hit upon one possible solution. You already have a LNP in the case. It's inside the Commander. There are two lighting channels there. The Commander most definitely will run its lighting sequence Ch1 -> Ch2. That opens the option to using all 9 QL fans on the C-Pro (this would require 2 lighting hubs) and probably then an actual LNP (no lighting hub) to power the RGB strips. I don't even know if you have any RGB hubs. A second way to do it would be keep the strips on one C-Pro RGB Channel and the 1-6 QL on Ch 2 (again requires RGB Lighting hub). Then use a LNC for the last 3 QL (whatever end you want last in the sequence). The C-Pro should load before the LNC or LNP every time. This is a lot of analyzing right now for something that is at minimum a partial unknown. There may be only 1-2 effects that fall victim to this and you may not even like them. I am also concerned there are hidden rules here not immediately evident. I would set up with the hardware you have. If it doesn't work to satisfaction, then you can start chasing down a RGB Lighting Hub. By the time you get to that, I will be in a better position to test these before you try.

Also of note, some of the QL unique effects will not be available for lighting link. They will need to run their sequence for that device/RGB channel only. That is something to consider when setting up the lighting on the two 6 + 3. My recommendation is to put the top fans on the 3 and the bottom and side as the 6, but this will be heavily based on your viewing angle.

OK, let's clean this up a bit. You got me thinking about the sequential effects and something was digging at me from when I did this 2 days ago. I pulled the radiator racked QL fans and hooked a LNC to my 740 Air system with a lot of other hardware.

1) There are only a few Lighting Link effects that have a clear sequence from point A -> B. Those are Visor and Type lighting. Color Wave does progress as well, but it is a sea of waves of different colors so the problem we are talking about doesn't matter. Visor is extremely fast, but the only one where you can follow a clear path. Type Lighting is only evident when you hit 1-2 keystrokes/clicks and then watch it. If you are actually doing stuff, it will be an overload of color. This leaves visor as the only Lighting Link possible affected program.

2) The sequence order for any of these is hardware specific, meaning RAM vs fans vs keyboard vs AIO cooler vs strips, etc. So as I run Lighting Link Visor right now, the path is KB -> Mouse -> Strips -> CPU Hydro X block -> QL add on fans (LNC) -> HD fans (ch1) -> HD fans (Ch2) -> RAM -> LS100 ambient lighting strips. There are some changes for other lighting link sequences. For example, RAM gets moved up to after the KB for Type Lighting and it does a light show as you hit the keys.

3) I already was aware of point #2, but the surprise here is the LNC with the 3 QL gets prioritized over the 9 HD fans on the Commander Pro. I don't know how it determines that, but it shoots down the theory you can control this my moving the fans from one device to another -- at least for now. I am assuming it does this by giving the QL a higher priority than HD fans. I assumed it would treat fans equally and then default to device order to sort it out. It does not. This still does not resolve the question of what happens with 9 QL on two LNCs, but again I would not start jumping through hoops until there is a problem. Lighting Link Visor is going to be the only effect where this is visible... and only if you stare really hard. I would not proceed with any of the above options about loading fans onto RGB channels on the Commander at this point.

Thank you for digging deeper into this matter. Yes, I agree that for such a miniscule problem I'd probably better off just going with the original plan of 2 LNC's instead of stressing myself out and changing the build to accomodate "one" link effect. Should've mentioned this before but I haven't bought the corsair hardware for the build yet. Once I am set in stone as to what approach I want to take (which by now is probably going to be the original plan of 2 LNC), then I will purchase everything at once. Nevertheless, I will probably add one or two rgb fan hubs to the purchase just in case I ever want to change anything in the future.

That is how it works. The setting is saved to the lighting controller (LNC, LNP, Commander). That also ties it to the device, so if you blow up your C-Pro in a puff of smoke and have to get a new one, you also have to set the HW lighting again. Same thing thing for swapping a LNC for LNP, etc. This is not an obstacle or impediment of any kind and takes seconds to do. I thought it was interesting it defaulted to white. Years of complaints about the spiral rainbow madness (especially before we had hardware playback) and this one defaulted to white after being detected.

Ok I see. I was just confused because earlier you mentioned that the fans would start with the rainbow effect on system boot and then only default to the hardware saved profile when iCue started up.

Most sequential effects go 1-6. Some allow you to reverse and go 6-> 1. It does not physically matter where the fan is located. So if you set it up one way, but then don't like the sequence, you only need to reorder the fans at the LNC. No need to move anything.

Alright, understood. I will reorder the fans as needed, which shouldn't be too often as I plan to choose only a few rgb effects I like and stick to those long term.

Right so sticking to the original + some revisions plan.

-9 ql120 fans. 2 on rad (exh), 1 top (exh), 3 side (int), 3 bottom (int)

-3 bottom, 3 side, 1 top, all connected to CP pwm headers

-splitting 2 side fans to leave single slot for top fan

-2 rad connected to pump connectors

-rgb strips connected to ch1 of CP

-3 side and 3 bottom connected to LNC 1 --> CP usb header 1

-2 rad and 1 top connected to LNC 2 --> CP usb header 2

And that should be everything. Anything missing?

I've started browsing the corsair products webpage (canada) for my hardware and I couldn't find the double pwm fan splitter after searching up "fan splitter" in the search bar. Do you guys carry that or would I have to look elsewhere like amazon? And what is the splitter actually called? I saw on one of the diagrams in Zotty's FAQ there was a "Y splitter"? And there are a few products not in stock such as the rm850x and rm750x for that matter. Also the type 4 gen 4 individually sleeved cables in white also caught my eye but those are also out of stock unfortunately. However, I'm not exactly sure this is the set (t4g4) I am looking for. Is the t4g3 more suitable for me? I'm also not sure what white cables (braided or not braided?) come with the rm850x and rm750x. Hard to tell from the product page pictures, but I think the bigger cables are braided and the smaller (sata, etc.) are not. So would I just need to purchase a select few to get the better braided quality? Specifically, I would like to have all cables braided in a cool white colour but I'm not sure if they all come braided stock. Probably no restock estimation due to covid-19 right? I guess I'll have to play the waiting game for now as I'm not too keen on branching out to multiple different retailers to purchase everything. But hopefully everything is back soon, super excited to be upgrading from my 3 year old dust collector. :laughing:

Edited by MorninWood
did some more reading into the white braided psu cables

Ok I see. Yea sorry I forgot to mention I will be setting the fans for optimal temps and airflow, and according to a video I watched from hardwarecanucks, the best configuration would be bottom and side fans as intake while the top rad + 9th fan are exhaust which is what I'll be doing. So ill split 2 side fans and leave the top with its own CP connection like you suggested.

I don't know if it's the same video I watched before building up my rig but I guess so... (it was called somenthing like "we put 9 fans..."). Speaking of optimal teperatures some fan configurations are better for VGA, others for CPU.

I started with the AIO in the side slot (fans intake), now I'm trying it in the top one (fans exhaust)... I'm having some more degrees for CPU, but don't know if it depends also on ambient temperature being arised in the last weeks (Italy). This because I've bought LL fans instead of QL, and they are no to beautiful to see when used as intake (Corsair, what's the point in producing a white fan and leaving the BLACK CABLES?!?!?!?)

[...]

I've started browsing the corsair products webpage (canada) for my hardware and I couldn't find the double pwm fan splitter after searching up "fan splitter" in the search bar. Do you guys carry that or would I have to look elsewhere like amazon? And what is the splitter actually called? I saw on one of the diagrams in Zotty's FAQ there was a "Y splitter"? And there are a few products not in stock such as the rm850x and rm750x for that matter. Also the type 4 gen 4 individually sleeved cables in white also caught my eye but those are also out of stock unfortunately. However, I'm not exactly sure this is the set (t4g4) I am looking for. Is the t4g3 more suitable for me? I'm also not sure what white cables (braided or not braided?) come with the rm850x and rm750x. Hard to tell from the product page pictures, but I think the bigger cables are braided and the smaller (sata, etc.) are not. So would I just need to purchase a select few to get the better braided quality? Specifically, I would like to have all cables braided in a cool white colour but I'm not sure if they all come braided stock. Probably no restock estimation due to covid-19 right? I guess I'll have to play the waiting game for now as I'm not too keen on branching out to multiple different retailers to purchase everything. But hopefully everything is back soon, super excited to be upgrading from my 3 year old dust collector. :laughing:

I can tell you that Noctua NA-SEC1 RGB Y splitters work for sure, I'm actualy using 3 in my rig.

I've also tested the cable listed in this thread:

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=195303&page=2

And it works great. I'm planning to use 3 of them to arrange my fans in groups of 3 and still be able to control them via iCUE. Using those powered splitters will allow me to add a back fan, as I want to see if dust management improves... this case is awsome but not exempt from defects, and too many openings without dust filters is a defect to me (my previous case was a Silverstone FT-02, not a single grain of dust for years!). So I will rearrange the fans to keep the case in positive air pressure.

Can't help about PSU cable replacement, I have a different model... and Corsair uses some different cables tipology for its products, you'd better ask in the PSU section (or wait for c-attack reply, his posts should be all sticky!). I'm using replacements made by Cablemods, but there are other vendors around the net.

Baio

Edited by Baio

I don't know if it's the same video I watched before building up my rig but I guess so... (it was called somenthing like "we put 9 fans..."). Speaking of optimal teperatures some fan configurations are better for VGA, others for CPU.

I started with the AIO in the side slot (fans intake), now I'm trying it in the top one (fans exhaust)... I'm having some more degrees for CPU, but don't know if it depends also on ambient temperature being arised in the last weeks (Italy). This because I've bought LL fans instead of QL, and they are no to beautiful to see when used as intake (Corsair, what's the point in producing a white fan and leaving the BLACK CABLES?!?!?!?)

Yea that's the same video I watched. As you can tell from the graph I have attached, top rad (exh) + 3 side (int) + 3 bottom (int) yields best temps in terms of both cpu and gpu, albeit with slightly higher decibel levels which shouldn't be that audible to the human ear. The other setups show only good temps in either CPU or GPU, not both. And I agree on the topic of ambient temp, but that's really hard to measure and depends on your room imo. Also, yea I'm really happy I decided to build when the ql's came out because that bracket on the exhaust (intake?) side of the ll's is pretty ugly lol.

I can tell you that Noctua NA-SEC1 RGB Y splitters work for sure, I'm actualy using 3 in my rig.

I've also tested the cable listed in this thread:

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=195303&page=2

And it works great. I'm planning to use 3 of them to arrange my fans in groups of 3 and still be able to control them via iCUE. Using those powered splitters will allow me to add a back fan, as I want to see if dust management improves... this case is awsome but not exempt from defects, and too many openings without dust filters is a defect to me (my previous case was a Silverstone FT-02, not a single grain of dust for years!). So I will rearrange the fans to keep the case in positive air pressure.

Can't help about PSU cable replacement, I have a different model... and Corsair uses some different cables tipology for its products, you'd better ask in the PSU section (or wait for c-attack reply, is posts should be all sticky!). I'm using replacements made by Cablemods, but there are other vendors around the net.

Great! I'll check out those products and see if they have any in stock here in Canada. I totally agree about the dust management on the case. Although I haven't built in it just yet, those air flow openings look like they will accumulate a lot of dust over time. It makes matters worse that my room has a carpeted floor and is naturally warm lol. And yea, the setup I plan to be using will also be positive air pressure so hopefully that helps with dust. I'll wait for c-attack's reply regarding the cables and if he doesn't have an answer I'll start a new thread elsewhere to keep this one cooling related.

Anyhow, thanks again for your info and help! Greatly appreciated! :laughing:

1566118973_Screenshot(164).thumb.png.f4a5383e61e0ea87bf24483d9668a14f.png

I've started browsing the corsair products webpage (canada) for my hardware and I couldn't find the double pwm fan splitter after searching up "fan splitter" in the search bar.

I am not sure Corsair sells them other than as replacement parts for specific models. This is something you can get from any vendor. It's like a lot of wiring accessory pieces. There are some really inexpensive ones and they often are exactly that.. cheap wiring. That doesn't mean they all are or that you need to buy an expensive one. I usually stick to brands I now, but I have dozens of cheap ones too. Most still work. Get what is available. I started using the colored Noctua ones after I passed the 10 fan mark and needed to keep stuff straight. I like them, but they are short and not very flexible. Work better in tandem with the similar colored extensions, but then now you've spend more than a few dollars. As long as it carries the current and signal, it's fine.

The O11 has so many ways to set up. I won't advocate of one way or another for you having not run this case with an open air GPU. Both of my O11 builds were full water and that does change where heat goes. The only thing about top mounting the radiator is you likely will pull some GPU heat through it. When that is going on you get warmer coolant temps when playing games than running a full tilt 100% CPU test. I will say using the side vertical area as exhaust causes some restriction at those fans were the glass is on the other side. Since you will have QL and can turn the fans any direction without an aesthetic loss, I might look at AIO on the side vertical as intake, bottom intake, top exhaust. That works around the glass restriction, keeps the CPU radiator away from the majority of the GPU heat, then lets you funnel the waste heat out the top and back.

I am not sure Corsair sells them other than as replacement parts for specific models. This is something you can get from any vendor. It's like a lot of wiring accessory pieces. There are some really inexpensive ones and they often are exactly that.. cheap wiring. That doesn't mean they all are or that you need to buy an expensive one. I usually stick to brands I now, but I have dozens of cheap ones too. Most still work. Get what is available. I started using the colored Noctua ones after I passed the 10 fan mark and needed to keep stuff straight. I like them, but they are short and not very flexible. Work better in tandem with the similar colored extensions, but then now you've spend more than a few dollars. As long as it carries the current and signal, it's fine.

The O11 has so many ways to set up. I won't advocate of one way or another for you having not run this case with an open air GPU. Both of my O11 builds were full water and that does change where heat goes. The only thing about top mounting the radiator is you likely will pull some GPU heat through it. When that is going on you get warmer coolant temps when playing games than running a full tilt 100% CPU test. I will say using the side vertical area as exhaust causes some restriction at those fans were the glass is on the other side. Since you will have QL and can turn the fans any direction without an aesthetic loss, I might look at AIO on the side vertical as intake, bottom intake, top exhaust. That works around the glass restriction, keeps the CPU radiator away from the majority of the GPU heat, then lets you funnel the waste heat out the top and back.

Ok got it. I'll be checking out your's and Baio's suggestions for fan splitters. Ill try to go for better quality brand name ones while not breaking the bank either.

Yea I was also thinking of the side rad option, but since I only have a 240mm, that "9th" fan will also have to be mounted to the side too. So I guess whichever position for the rad looks less out of place will be the deciding factor as long as the temps are within 1-2 degrees difference.

Here are some splitters I was looking at. Any thoughts?

https://www.amazon.ca/Rosewill-Splitter-Duplicator-Converter-Adapter/dp/B01N0XQ7XC/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=pwm+fan+splitter&qid=1587265425&sr=8-9

https://www.amazon.ca/noctua-NA-SYC1-red-NA-SYC1-chromax-red-y-cables/dp/B07655N56S/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=pwm+fan+splitter&qid=1587265425&sr=8-17

https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E16812987008?Description=pwm%20fan%20splitter&cm_re=pwm_fan_splitter-_-12-987-008-_-Product

https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E16812162026?Description=pwm%20fan%20splitter&cm_re=pwm_fan_splitter-_-12-162-026-_-Product

As for the white braided cables for the psu, I'm still confused after looking at the PSU cable chart and the product page for both the rm850x and rm750x. Any answers here or should I make another thread in the power supply forum?

[...]

Since you will have QL and can turn the fans any direction without an aesthetic loss, I might look at AIO on the side vertical as intake, bottom intake, top exhaust. That works around the glass restriction, keeps the CPU radiator away from the majority of the GPU heat, then lets you funnel the waste heat out the top and back.

In my experience it's the best solution (meaning combining performance and aesthetics), but there are a couple of things to consider.

1. the metal plates that Lian Li provides to close the side slot do not help with 360mm radiators, but it's likely the do the same with 240mm. Mounting the radiator here means one is not able to use the smaller plate to cover the hole (the radiator is longer than 3 fans).

2. mounting the radiator in the "hidden" part of the case wastes some space in a zone that is already very narrow. Top mounting frees up some space instead.

3. mounting the radiator in top position allows to cover the cables that plug into the upper part of the mobo... aesthetically better, even with the white version of the case (untill Corsair will provide us with more white radiator choices).

Baio

Ok got it. I'll be checking out your's and Baio's suggestions for fan splitters. Ill try to go for better quality brand name ones while not breaking the bank either.

Yea I was also thinking of the side rad option, but since I only have a 240mm, that "9th" fan will also have to be mounted to the side too. So I guess whichever position for the rad looks less out of place will be the deciding factor as long as the temps are within 1-2 degrees difference.

Here are some splitters I was looking at. Any thoughts?

https://www.amazon.ca/Rosewill-Splitter-Duplicator-Converter-Adapter/dp/B01N0XQ7XC/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=pwm+fan+splitter&qid=1587265425&sr=8-9

https://www.amazon.ca/noctua-NA-SYC1-red-NA-SYC1-chromax-red-y-cables/dp/B07655N56S/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=pwm+fan+splitter&qid=1587265425&sr=8-17

https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E16812987008?Description=pwm%20fan%20splitter&cm_re=pwm_fan_splitter-_-12-987-008-_-Product

https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E16812162026?Description=pwm%20fan%20splitter&cm_re=pwm_fan_splitter-_-12-162-026-_-Product

As for the white braided cables for the psu, I'm still confused after looking at the PSU cable chart and the product page for both the rm850x and rm750x. Any answers here or should I make another thread in the power supply forum?

The second splitter is the one I'm using (only difference is the colored version).

The third seems to me the best solution as it has just a "central body", it saves some space. Usually Phanteks is a good brand.

Baio

I have all 4 of those splitters and they are all good choices. No problems. As mentioned, the Noctua ones are a bit stiff and fold like a hinge rather than bend gradually. There are some cases where I see this as an asset. I don't think that is the case with the O11D. I was tight on space in the back and needed all the agility I could get from my wires. Any of the other three should be good.

The second splitter is the one I'm using (only difference is the colored version).

The third seems to me the best solution as it has just a "central body", it saves some space. Usually Phanteks is a good brand.

I have all 4 of those splitters and they are all good choices. No problems. As mentioned, the Noctua ones are a bit stiff and fold like a hinge rather than bend gradually. There are some cases where I see this as an asset. I don't think that is the case with the O11D. I was tight on space in the back and needed all the agility I could get from my wires. Any of the other three should be good.

Alright, so the general consensus is any but the Noctua ones will work best for my situation. I'll review the other 3 and make a decision soon. Now I just got to make another thread in the PSU forum, but other than that I should be good to go on this build.

Thanks so much to the both of you! Really helped me plan this build out and I am very appreciative! Good luck on your own builds and stay safe! :laughing:

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

Also, how do I make those diagrams I see in Zotty's FAQ so that next time I can save some time and just post a picture of my diagram instead if I have more questions?

I was wondering about the diagrams too. Are people just drawing it manually?