Corsair Community

H100i fan not working properly

geoffj83

Hey, so I'm not sure if it's just time to replace one of the fans on my H100i CPU cooler. It is intermittently not spinning properly and making a weird kind of "snoring" noise. Just wanted to check with you guys before I go and spend money on a new fan.

Also, what fan should I buy to replace it? Is it the SP120L fan that comes with the H100i?

Here is a link of a quick video I took of the fan making the sound. You might need to turn up the volume a bit to hear it.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmZrXLYRXXYvkmidxJVY6J7eTmV5?e=VCjxxu

Thanks!

:biggrin:

Most likely the bearing in the fan is worn out. The most likely reason for the intermittent spin would be that the system is probably trying to lower the fan speed due to lack of demand, but because the bearing is worn out, the fan takes more power to move it than the demand for it so it simply doesn't move. The sound it is making is also an indication of this. When the system is off, try and spin the fan by hand. If it feels stiff at all it is probably worn out.

The SP120 fans work great for replacement, although any high static pressure fans will work. PWM fans work best, but you may be able to use standard DC fans as well.