Corsair Community

Corsair H80i CPU Contact

leisy

Hi all,

I bought a corsair H80i (first version) that I'm using with an 1155 motherboard. When I originally installed it, I observed idle temps in the 50s and removed the block to find that only about 50 percent of the CPU had thermal paste on it. I haven't been able to get over 80 percent coverage across about a dozen tries. I use the pea size dot in the middle of the heat spreader and it has always been enough to get complete coverage. I know some people have observed loose backplates even after tightening down the cooler, but I haven't had this issue. The block also feels tight and will not move when I've tightened all the thumb nuts down.

I've installed a couple H55s and an H100i v2, so I'm definitely not new to these coolers. I've read through the instructions multiple times and I am doing everything to the letter, so I can't imagine what I would be doing wrong. I actually had an H55 on this board with this CPU before and it worked great. Maybe there are some slight imperfections with this copper block? That's pretty much the conclusion I'm ready to draw at this point if nobody has any other ideas. I only have enough Arctic Silver 5 for a few more tries. :/

That's actually fine. The actual die that you need to cool is quite small. While you may have some thermal activity on the sides, there will be very little, especially with Intel's notoriously bad TIM. For Sandy/Ivy Bridge, however, I'd use the "line" method.

This picture shows where the die actually sits under the heat spreader. This is the area that needs the TIM:

http://cdn.overclock.net/f/f7/500x1000px-LL-f7857f10_500x1000px-LL-cf8ccc26_paralel.png

For additional reference, here's a 'naked' Ivy Bridge CPU, clearly showing the die:

114d.jpg

Archived