Corsair Community

Various Link-related questions!

Manannin

Hi!

New here but been reading for a while. As I have just completed (well I am typing on it nowbut are they ever finished?) a new build with quite a lot of Corsair kit in it, I thought I would throw my 2 cents in here too.

I have the link and lighting kit and a H100. So far all seems to be working quite well. I had the buzzing noise on the H100, but after lying the case down and giving it a gently rocking it seems to have gone so it was most likely air bubbles working their way out.

I have 2 Gentle Typoons in the top compartment of my 600T pulling air out of the case through the radiator (I wanted this to be an exhaust and couldn't fit the fans under the Rad due to my Sabertooth having the 'thermal armour'). These are both working fine and are controlled as expected by the software and respond to changes in speed almost straight away (minus a little time for the momentum of the fans of course).

I am using the stock Corsair front 200MM fan as the intake and this is responding to speed changes as expected. However at anything lower than full (1053 rpm it seems according to the software) the fan becomes noisy. I am not sure if this is because it is quite large and becomes unstable or it is just a problem specific to my particular unit. Also when it is slower, the LED flickers.

For my 120mm exhaust fan I have a Sharkoon Silent Eagle which cannot be controlled at all. It runs around 850/900 rpm regardless of what I ask it to do. I cannot remember whether this is a SE1000 or 2000 as it is from a previous build, I just like the fan and it fits quite nicely with the aesthetics of my build! Goinb by the speed I would guess its a SE1000

Now on to the questions!

1) At the moment I have the 2 Typhoons connected straight to the cooling node and I have full control over them and all is well. However, if I connect them to the H100, can I control them separately still? i.e does the H100 just act as an 4 extra fan ports for the cooling node or will I just have a H100 fan speed that does all 4 fan ports? I am aware I could just try this myself, but after spending a lot of time creating this PC, I don't want to undo all my cable management as I am sure someone here will have already tried it! Also I do not need to do this quite yet as I have enough ports on the cooling node so it is more just for future (and other people's) reference.

2) Has anybody else had similar challenges with the Corsair 200mm fan in the 600T? I imagine the LED is just sensitive to voltage change, but I would have thought the fan could run slower with no trouble as it is by default connected to the cases fan controller.

3) Does anybody know a way to control the 200mm fan LED independently to the fan speed or a way of turning the LED off? On a quick inspection, it looks like it is hardwired, so even disconnecting the LED permanently will be quite difficult.

4) This is more for RAMGUY and friends, but can you tell me if the Silent Eagle fan is one that should be working when the new software is released? I am using the Beta software now and no joy. I understand you may not be able to give definitive answers so I won't hold you to it ;)

5) The 'Case Fan Controller' port. What exactly does this do? I have the 600T which has a fan controller built in, so would this turn my case controller into a 3 port node extension? (Assuming one connector of the 4 on the case controller would have to be used to connect to the Link node). Or would it turn the big white rotary knob on the case into a kind of 'Master Fan Speed' device? Any official word would be awesome, but best guesses and theories can also be fun until we know more!

6) I have my LED strings set to change colour depending on the CPU temperature, which is awesome (in my opinion anyway!) and this works most of the time. Sometimes I have to switch profile to a new one then back again though as they start cycling through colours instead. Is there a way to fix this? Also is there any plans to up the colours/temperature level selections from 3 to say 5 in future? Purely as having more colours would be fun :D...

7) Finally (sorry, wanted to get these all in one place, I started replying to the Beta software thread but decided I had gone off topic enough to warrant my own thread...) the LED strings. Is it possible to buy these separately? I know there are lighting kits on the main website, but I do not need another node, just the LEDs themselves.

Ok thanks! Sorry for the essay, but thanks for reading it and for any answers you have! All in all, I really like the Link system, sure there are a few bugs that are (hopefully) being ironed out, but I just wanted to say that it does most of what I want it to and with the right support it can only get better so thanks Corsair!

Unfortunately forums often have a negative tone as the people who have no problems aren't as quick to comment, so for others who were reading here before decided like I was, it is a great piece of kit and hopefully the only problems are software related, so they can be fixed.

Thanks!

First off which model of the Gentle Typhoons do you have? I have the AP-29s on my H100 and they cannot be controlled whether they are plugged into the H100 hub or the Link cooling node. They do rage from abot 2900 rpm to about 2400 but that is is. I just ordered the AP-15s and I will see how they work. If yours are working you should be able to control them either on the hub or the node. They will show up in the software (or they should) when they are connected to the hub.

Good luck

The Beta software was just released so they are still collecting info on it.

I think the Case Fan Controller will work with your 600T but you need a seperate cable for it and I am not sure if they are available yet. RamGuy would have a better idea. You may just want to call tech support and ask them and they might know.

Thanks randolla

My GTs are the AP15s. They are in the compartment above the case under the grill and work great. Can pick anything up to 1800rpm, I have them on a 5 point curve and they follow it nicely.

I just turned on my pc to check the numbers for you and now one of my temp sensors is flashing red... Hopefully just a loose cable :sigh!:

edit: Ok it is not a sensor, it was the temp reading for my storage HDD. HWMonitorPro sees it, so the SMART information is there, but the link software does not. I have tried restarting both the software and the PC but no joy...

A small update and a new question;

The HDD has now come back and is reporting a temperature as normal.

Also I am now able to control the Silent Eagle fan (the 120mm exhaust on the back of the case).

I have not changed or updated anything so I am not sure why it has decided to work, but it is! At least for now...

While doing some stress testing yesterday, my CPU temps got pretty high (70C or so, so not dangerous) but the temp sensor in the H100 stayed down at 35/40C. The 4 core temperatures are displayed on the right hand side of the screen so Link is getting this temp information. Is it possible to utilise it as a trigger for fan speed changes etc instead of the inaccurate H100 reading?

A small update and a new question;

The HDD has now come back and is reporting a temperature as normal.

Also I am now able to control the Silent Eagle fan (the 120mm exhaust on the back of the case).

I have not changed or updated anything so I am not sure why it has decided to work, but it is! At least for now...

While doing some stress testing yesterday, my CPU temps got pretty high (70C or so, so not dangerous) but the temp sensor in the H100 stayed down at 35/40C. The 4 core temperatures are displayed on the right hand side of the screen so Link is getting this temp information. Is it possible to utilise it as a trigger for fan speed changes etc instead of the inaccurate H100 reading?

I think the H100 reading is for the fluid temp in the radiator.

Yes you should be able to add whatever fan you like to whatever group you wish. I have all of my H100 fans in the CPU group. I can then set a custom temp range and a corresponding RPM such as: 25c=1000 RPM 30c=1200 RPM 35c=1500 RPM 50c=1850 RPM so that the RPMs will scale up as the temp does. I think that is what you are talking about.

I suggest watching some of the utube videos Corsair has on this.

Perhaps Ram Guy has a recommendation.

Hi randolla,

Yeah I understood your explanation, thanks! The problem I had was the

'CPU 1 Temp' sensor (which I assume is the average of the 4 core readings?) wasn't there. I had to hide another random block and 'then show all devices' before it would come back, now it is there I can use it.

Almost.

Now I have a problem where everything works fine until I try and save anything. Whether to an existing profile or a new one, it always crashes the UI as soon as I press save. I have tried restarting the program, restarting the whole PC, but nothing.

I think maybe it heard me saying it was all going well so has started playing games with me. How is that new software version coming along? :rolleyes:

HI Ram Guy!

If it helps you and your minions, this is the error details I am experiencing with the saving issue described above:-

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3

Problem Signature 01: corsairlink.exe

Problem Signature 02: 1.2.7.0

Problem Signature 03: 4f7323c6

Problem Signature 04: Overseer.UI

Problem Signature 05: 1.2.7.0

Problem Signature 06: 4f7323bd

Problem Signature 07: 3b

Problem Signature 08: 10f

Problem Signature 09: System.NullReferenceException

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Any help would be awesome!

edit: Ok the software now crashes whenever I try to save (new or overwrite) and also when I try to change profiles. So basically I cannot do anything right now. Tried rebooting, reinstalling, disconnecting the USB header, running as admin or normal user and all manner of combinations of the above and nothing. Please help!

I will keep on with my updates even if not many are reading this, who knows somebody may find this useful somewhere down the line!

So reinstalling, rebooting, running as admin or not, and various combinations of the above did nothing.

As it seemed to only crash when saving or trying to do anything involving profiles, I went from there. I could delete 2 of my 3 profiles, but not the default profile (it crashed whenever I tried). So I searched to forum to see if anybody knew where the profiles were stored (which turned out to be [C:\Users\username\Documents\Corsair\CorsairLink ) and deleted the XML file there. Lo and behold when I restarted all was fine. Obviously I had to start from scratch configuring everything but I did and now it all seems to be behaving. For now.

Going back to my original post, I imagine there are not really any answers until the new software is released, but if somebody official could address 5) and 7) for me, that would be great!

Hi Ram Guy,

Thanks for dropping by :biggrin:

Yes it is all up to date as far as I am aware, running the Beta software and the commander is connected to a USB 2.0 header on my motherboard.

Screenshot attached.

Thanks!

Firmware.jpg.102c6e0e5981f21a343f185c0e93a777.jpg

Another update here, in case anybody is still reading. One new feature with my Link setup = check. Have a look at the attachment :winking:

Now does anybody have any alternatice suggestions for the 200mm fans? Preferably no LED, and are happier at slower RPMs than the stock fans...

600T.jpg.0e2dd8cdf80accd74bb6dff520b27e54.jpg

Another update here, in case anybody is still reading. One new feature with my Link setup = check. Have a look at the attachment :winking:

Now does anybody have any alternatice suggestions for the 200mm fans? Preferably no LED, and are happier at slower RPMs than the stock fans...

I've replaced the 200mm fan with a BitFenix Spectre Pro, no LED and if you have the version of the 600T with the clip in fan at the front, you can pull apart the mounts on the BitFenix and just sit it in the clips.

Thanks Marz, I had just ten minutes ago ordered the exact same fan (even down to black, no LED)! I have the 600T SE White though so I do not have the mounts. Also means I will have to either remove the front panel to get at the screws or get the dremel out.

Those Spectre Pros have crazy figures, does it really shift that much air compared to the stock fan? I am hoping to create positive pressure with it to keep the dust at a minimum.

Marz, do you have the Spectre Pro controlled by Link? Full control over speeds etc?

Just as another update, I have found 2 of my 4 Silent Eagles were actually the 2000 rpm ones, so I swapped the 1000 rpm exhaust fan out for a 2000 and installed the second 2000 rpm SE in the drive bay cage (after moving my optical drive up). They are both being controlled well by Link (via the 600T rotary dial) so are just as quiet but have the extra power there if I need it.

They do move more air than the standard fan, but if you wanted positive pressure I'd probably be looking at 2 x 120mm or 2x 140mm fans or put the perforated side panel on with four fans. I don't have a Link yet. Been waiting on my supplier here in AU to get them in. I probably would have waited even if I could get one earlier, seems there are a few bugs still to be sorted.

I am hoping with the Silent Eagle 2000 intake in the drive bay area coupled with the Spectre Pro will be enough to create positive pressure, I guess I will find out as i have already ordered it! The other Silent Eagle on the back of the case negates the front one, so it is the Spectre Pro vs 2 x 120 Gentle Typhoons on the H100. Normally they would outdo the Spectre, but as they are outside of the case, pulling through the grill and H100 radiator, it should even out. The GTs are very rarely on full either. They only spin up (via a custom fan curve) when the CPU is under heavy load, which I have only experienced under stress testing.

I understand your issue with buying the Link, I only got mine as I work in the US for a lot of the year but live in the UK. Luckily I had enough weight allowance in my luggage to bring it back with me. Less shipping and customs didn't notice so no import tax ;)

Yes it is true, there are a few bugs, but hopefully the oft mentioned update is here soon and will solve a lot of them. Also with the new power supplies, maybe Link 2 will arrive instead.

Archived