Corsair Community

Advice/Warning for HS1 owners - earcup/joint snapped

Brudda

Just thought I'd post about something that just happened to me and my corsair hs1.

I'm not sure how others put on and take off their HS1's, but I usually just grab and pull/seperate the earpads/bins/earcups/whatever they're called, and shove the headset onto/off of my head.

Anyway, the right side of my headset snapped at the adjustment/joint area while taking them off. I've got some pics below. This is after about 5 to 6 weeks of daily use. A lot of daily use!

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9895/dsc00304wt.th.jpg

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5227/dsc00305o.th.jpg

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/6499/dsc00306ak.th.jpg

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1958/dsc00307do.th.jpg

Again, this is just a friendly warning/peice of advice for HS1 owners (Or headset owners in general). After visiting the warranty page, I'm under the impression that this type of incident is not under warranty, so I figured I'd give people a heads-up. (If I am mistaken about the warranty, please let me know. I ordered the HS1's from newegg.com on the 6th of December, 2010. I believe they arrived at my door step 3-4 days after that.)

In the end, I ghetto duct taped it back on. It won't retract/adjust back in all the way though, since I used so much tape, haha. But the headset still works fine, since the wire inside was undamaged.

Fill out the RMA form or call in, may be covered.

Whenever I go to the "Sumbit RMA Request" page, i get some kind of error page that says:

"Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

It gives a bunch of source code after that. I'd screenshot it and "Contact Tech. Support" but that page gives the error as well.

Should I screenshot the page and post it somewhere? if so, what forum section?

What browser are you using? Try Firefox or Chrome.

Initially I used Firefox and was encountering the error, but I opened up the page in IE and it works fine there. Not sure what is wrong with my Firefox, but since it works for me in IE, its fine.

I plan to fill out the RMA form right now, but before I do anything to my headset, will it definitely void warranty/rma if I superglue the earcup back on?

Because at the moment, the duct tape isn't quite working out as well as I hoped, lol.

I wouldn't advise using superglue. It would make it hard for them to see what might of caused the joint to come apart. If you want to just keep it and don't care about any warranty then go right ahead and use superglue.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I must apologize for bumping this thread, but I feel that the information is relevant for other HS1 owners who may happen across this problem as a result of one of the product's physical design flaws in the future.

After my HS1 snapped in exactly the same place as shown in the OP's picture after normal use over two months, I queried Corsair's department regarding a replacement of the unit. I received a response giving me a go ahead for sending the headset back and, after spending a hefty recorded postage rate to the Netherlands, my TSX ticket was updated stating that my return had been rejected and that my only options were to provide a return shipping label or have Corsair dispose of the HS1.

I've been trying to respond to Corsair's RMA department after receiving the email a week ago, but it seems that they're going to continue ignoring me until they automatically default to destroying the item after the two week response frame has passed. I think this is unjustified as other customers experiencing this commonly acknowledged problem have had their units replaced (and this thread should serve as evidence of that...).

I put my faith in Corsair when I purchased the HS1 in a competitive market, and have only received misunderstanding, ignorance and the looting of an expensive headset and international postage fee. I saw this purchase as an investment and wouldn't have thought that I'd be returning to the marketplace after less than ten weeks. I've been favoring Corsair components for a long time, but this dire situation is going to have me reconsider my commitment to recommending the company to colleagues and friends.

To existing HS1 owners: Check the amount of stress on your headset's ear-cup joints and consider returning your headsets if the pressure is too great as Corsair surely won't help you out once they inevitably give.

n.b. So that the admins know that my story is a real one, my TSX Case is #2014086.

• Corsair Employee

teknologist

You are jumping to conclusions, this is actually the first case I had seen of that issue and we are selling a large volume so even if there may be others the number compared to what we sold is very small for all of the problems.

If that happened to you again please contact our customer service with your previous RMA# and they will take care of you.

2 days ago my HS1 broke in exactly the same spot; I did try to use some epoxy to mend it but did not hold very long. Bought in April from CompUSA; am I still eligible to RMA since I tried to repair it? Have been a long-time user of Corsair memory, headset was great until it broke.

• 5 months later...
I had the exact same thing happen to me I went ahead and sent in a request for a rma a few minutes ago. I really love the headset and its the first that i have had that is actually comfortable. I really hope i wont have any issues with the rma but per a friend Corsair is pretty good about taking care of things.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Exact same thing happened to me yesterday after just taking off the headset as I normally do. Filled out an RMA form, but was wondering if I'm supposed to receive an automated confirmation email that they received it? Still no response but it's only been 24 hours so far. Case #4640469

Edit - Received RMA number today. Quick and painless process. Thanks corsair! :)

http://i.imgur.com/5WyfV.jpg

TAG I'm not sure what you are asking.

RAM Guy: The cases mentioned here have been solved? Or in other words, the customers have their products repaired or replaced?

Thanks.

• Corsair Employee

I can not speak for every case but this type of issue will be replaced via an RMA.

I want to state again this is very rare and we have only see a few cases of this actually happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my replacement for my HS1 and received a vengeance 1500 back today. Very happy about that and how fast and painless the rma process was. :)

Also, like some of the design changes in the vengeance compared to the HS1 such as the volume control is now much higher up, which means I can actually use it since the HS1 had it so far down that it would lie basically on my floor and I would never use it. The way my HS1 snapped also should never happen with the vengeance due to the different design.

Archived