Corsair Community

Corsair 680x build and fan setup

rogabi

Hi there! I am kinda late to the party as I built this system about a year ago, but there is something bothering me lately and that is the bottom fan placement.

I know for sure that it would be best to have my bottom fans on intake to help deliver cold air to my GPU but the lightning would not look as nice. Hell, it would probably bother me too much to see the back frame on the fans instead of the RGB. Also, as I still have my sanity I will not buy the new QL fans which deliver cool lights on both sides, we all know why...

My question addresses people with similar builds, and I mean a Corsair 680x case, RTX 2080ti which is a hot GPU and maybe a 9900k OC-ed. Has anyone tested and checked the GPU temperatures under load with bottom fans mounted as intake and as exhaust? If yes, how much of an improvement over GPU temps are fans mounted as intake? I will consider switching my bottom fans from exhaust to intake if there is at least a 5 degrees Celsius improvement over GPU temperatures.

Also, in case you have a liquid cooler mounted on top, do you think it would be best to push the hot air out, thus increasing the temperatures on the coolant in the radiator, or would you mount the fans and the radiator into pulling cold air in the case, through the radiator?

Oh man, I love those LL white fans and I wish Corsair made some in 140mm too. (problem is the white blades are not so white anymore after a while...) The Corsair 680x bottom and exhaust ports are kinda large for the 120mm and it looks a little bad, but meh. (later edit, I just saw on the official website they now have 140mm white, QL's, which I might consider)

So, if anyone is curious, this is how my system looks like.

I am a huge fan of Corsair products and I would love to see more reasonable prices on those sweet fans.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt5I2ORJAuc]Here are my 2 systems[/ame]

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5NR206Uv58]Some game play displaying temperatures and framerates[/ame]

I am running my 680x without the side panel as I am getting 5-8 degrees Celsius lower temperatures on my GPU when gaming. Wish I didn't have to!!! Let's face it, it is not exactly the high airflow case as advertised... Nevertheless, I still love the looks of it and how clean you can build inside it, with the dual chamber system. If they ever make some improvements to it and release a white version, I will probably upgrade.

95B3B45C-0E38-4AF6-AC24-02927EC35EAE.thumb.jpg.5dff3c88098509172bc8d882ef19df30.jpg

6727D67D-3BEB-44F3-BC06-38FDA45D7E77.thumb.jpg.8e4060acbbf2f25be51b6c2d7e8f42c0.jpg

20191105_192500.thumb.jpg.4f6a9f08b2126a62fd9dd3bfcd4d3c9a.jpg

91924806-37ED-4440-9646-05F84945CD7D.thumb.jpg.eb4b3d291822e5e968e0d65938b720af.jpg

7756A36D-4CC5-4BE8-A47E-42156B2AB491.thumb.jpg.653905c6fcb58999cd2d9ef593c08c47.jpg

Edited by rogabi

I pretty much always ran mine with the top glass removed.

LL fans look badass but they are really poor performers when it comes to static pressure, so if i were you i'd put the bottom fans as intake of course, your GPU needs all teh air it can get, and remove the top glass to evacuate the heat better.

I can't say for an air cooled GPU but my watercooled one dropped easily 4° just by removing the top glass.

Rotating the bottom fans and removing that glass panel is fast, try it and see :)

(and yea, forget the high airflow marketing BS. AFAIK air doesn't go easily through tempered glass)

Thank you for the link, will check it out!

I took a peak. So they have clear top and front windows. What about the side panel? It means I would have the tinted side panel and the clear front and top.

The hex ones are interesting, but pretty expensive when compared with the overall price of the case. And I like GLASS, not PLEXIGLASS. Appreciate it though!

I pretty much always ran mine with the top glass removed.

LL fans look badass but they are really poor performers when it comes to static pressure, so if i were you i'd put the bottom fans as intake of course, your GPU needs all teh air it can get, and remove the top glass to evacuate the heat better.

I can't say for an air cooled GPU but my watercooled one dropped easily 4° just by removing the top glass.

Rotating the bottom fans and removing that glass panel is fast, try it and see :)

(and yea, forget the high airflow marketing BS. AFAIK air doesn't go easily through tempered glass)

Yeah, I know there is just little work to do, will probably give it a try. If I dont like the looks of it I guess I will get 3x white QL's 140mm for bottom and rear. Hope I'll be able to use them together with the Commander Pro and the 3x LL's in the front.

Regarding the top glass... I initially used the smaller rubber rings so it would be closer to the top of the case. It looked best. I eventually used the original higher ones. The case would really look like **** without the top, having those screws holders pointing out.

Edited by rogabi
P.S

So I've swapped the bottom fans to intake so they now blow air on to my GPU. It seems there is a visible improvement, ranging from 5 to 10 degrees, with the side panel ON. Did not test without the side panel yet.

I am considering to buy 3 QL's now...