Corsair Community

Potential Power supply issues?

Deevin

My computer randomly resets when it's not under high load and while playing games. However, it most commonly seems to occur during League of Legends.

I built it fall of 2015, and starting fall of 2016 it started to have these random resets. The resets occur with no noise or any other type of warning, the screen just suddenly goes black, the tower lights turn off, then it powers itself back up.

The resets come in couplets or triplets, and seem to be growing more frequent. I've now had about 4 events in the past week and a half. Most commonly I log back in and resume my game, which is when it then repeats itself one or two more times. Typically, it seems to be within the first hour or two of me having started up my computer, then it'll be fine for the rest of the night. I have had it reset again before getting back in the game, while opening skype and the other programs up, but that was only once.

I set my active hours to fit when I play most, thinking it may be windows updating, however that had no effect.

I tried going to the event viewer, using a guide for an error I found, but this hasn't solve the problem. I do not remember what the error was, but I believe it was a VPN app that was the issue, since I just jumped on the first error in the log I saw. The error and critical events are logged after the computer is turned back on, not sure if this is anything significant?

In event viewer I find a kernel power error around the time of each reset, so I checked that my PSU and all the cables are plugged in properly. For this event I get the following data:

EventData

BugcheckCode 0

BugcheckParameter1 0x0

BugcheckParameter2 0x0

BugcheckParameter3 0x0

BugcheckParameter4 0x0

SleepInProgress 0

PowerButtonTimestamp 0

BootAppStatus 0

Checkpoint 0

ConnectedStandbyInProgress false

SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0

CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0

I logged my CPU temps during a game of league and found the max temp to be 48 degrees celsius. I also have played Dark Souls 3, Battlefield 1, and WoW with no resets occurring while playing those.

I used memtest briefly and that found no issues, however I could potentially go back and run it for multiple more passes. I also ran DSKCHK which completed saying no further actions are required.

I've updated my Mobo bios and I keep my gpu drivers up to date. I've also tried patching the game, then I reinstalled it, still no luck.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I suspect a dump file was generated, if so use WINDBG to analyse the dump file/files in C:\Windows\Minidump\ too see which driver caused the BSOD, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=760776

Having done this upload the dump file and ask the driver supplier to fix their driver.

When I did this Corsair totally failed to respond :mad:, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=845182

If WINDBG is all too hard for you and you attach a .ZIP of the dump I may analyse it.

I suspect a dump file was generated, if so use WINDBG to analyse the dump file/files in C:\Windows\Minidump\ too see which driver caused the BSOD, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=760776

Having done this upload the dump file and ask the driver supplier to fix their driver.

When I did this Corsair totally failed to respond :mad:, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=845182

If WINDBG is all too hard for you and you attach a .ZIP of the dump I may analyse it.

I don't have BSODs and couldn't find a minidump file, but I followed a guide to enable them for future resets.

I decided to leave my computer alone today after turning it on, and came back to find that it reset again within 10 minutes of being turned on. Checked the event log and once again it said the reset was unexpected with the same kernel power info.

Archived