Corsair Community

RM1000i causing coil whine

techyourself

Hi

I've just completed my new build and I have noticed that my MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming is getting very bad coil whine. It's pretty unbearable. I've had this card for about 5 months and the only time I had coil whine on my old PSU was while benching in Kombustor. I've played many games and used other benching tools and it has always been whisper quiet and performed very well. On my previous build I was using a XFX 650W Pro 80+ Bronze. On my new build I have a brand new Corsair RM1000i.

I put my XFX 650w Pro in with all the new parts to see if it still had the problem and although it still has coil whine it's very very slight. If I close the case I can't hear it. In fact only if I put my ear close to it and the room is silent I can hear it. With the Corsair PSU connected I can hear it even with moderately loud game sound on.

I find it really strange since XFX is a bronze PSU and the Corsair RMi is gold. Would getting a replacement RMi change anything? Or is it an issue with the series and my GPU?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Full system specs:

CPU: Intel i7 5820k

Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61

Mobo: Asus X99 Pro 3.1

Ram: HyperX Savage DDR4 2666

SSD: Samsung Evo 850 500gb

HDD: WD 1T Green

GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming

Case: In Win 805 ATX

PSU: Corsair RM1000i

• Corsair Employee

I find it really strange since XFX is a bronze PSU and the Corsair RMi is gold.

Efficiency level has nothing to do with anything... except efficiency.

You can try to RMA the PSU for another, but I would suggest RMAing the graphics card instead.

Efficiency level has nothing to do with anything... except efficiency.

You can try to RMA the PSU for another, but I would suggest RMAing the graphics card instead.

Thanks for the reply. Support told me to order a replacement. Should come tomorrow. Hopefully it'll fix the issue, if not, then I guess I'll have to RMA the card.

Archived