Corsair Community

PSU blowout, but still working??

TheMobius40

So, obviously, I require help with my situation:

I returned my Corsair PSU because it spontaneously blew out one day, and nothing worked. Got that new one in the mail a couple days ago, was the happiest day ever, just like Christmas. I plugged this new one of the exact same model in, and the SAME THING HAPPENED. There was an electrical snap, and then nothing. I tried turning it on a couple times in vain, until the fourth try worked! Hallelujah! But I quickly realized the system didn't boot. Tried a few things, like switching the RAM card to a different slot, powering on without the graphics card, etc. to no avail. It actually got worse. Now instead of powering on and not booting, it powers on for half a second and then dies. Each time. I tried this thing called resetting the CMOS, witch I followed completely, and that didn't work. Now, I'm stuck with my life's greatest achievement not being worth more than scrap metal. Is this ANOTHER defective part from Corsair? Did I get another defective PSU that blew? Or is there something wrong? Any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Corsair Employee

Maybe the problem wasn't the PSU at all.

Better PSUs have a number of protections built in. For example: If a short is detected, the PSU shuts off. You could have a fried VR on the motherboard or graphics card or something and the PSU is shutting off to prevent further damage. Of course, cycling the power three or four times could fry the suspect component beyond the capability of the PSU's protection to shut down, so the PC powers up, but nothing is going to work because the component is already fried.

Archived