Corsair Community

Dear Corsair

robandcathy

Do you not think that the install of your software is a bit absurd, people at this point have to go to forums to figure out on how to install it. Please uninstall this or that before you update this if it does not work try this etc. There is a chain flow problem, most software just installs or upgrades automatically and checks to see if the proper software is installed. Example adobe will do a check and notify me when a update is available and all I have to do is install. Not making me jump through hoops to see if I have the correct os, correct fans, correct firmware, RSTe, uninstall reinstall, sounds like you almost need a computer engineering degree just to install and configure the link to work.

Suggestion: How about script that will auto detect to make sure parameters are met and auto update. If someone tries to run 2.0.x and per you guys has to uninstall 2.1.7 then make the program do it for them. Then install 2.0.x .

I think this is over complicated for the consumer. Most don't even know what RSTe is but you ask them to try other versions?

Im sure you get my point...it should be easy and painless

Time to ask the brass for more resources. Because you are taking one step forward and 2 steps back.

Im mean seriously think about the logic on how to update its asinine.

Just a over complicated software install that does not work ...ugh

Can we lobby someone on your behalf to get you more support?

There must be a bean counter getting mad with rma's

I agree also. I finally got fed up and contacted Corsair for a refund. They OK'd it and sent me a packing slip to ship it to them. After 3 months of trying to make it work, I had enough. Yea and I paid the $140.00 and expected the same quality as other products, but it just not there.

This is just software problem Hmm~~

i have to disagree,software is nothing more than a coded set of commands directing certain components to perform a function,those commands can NEVER change.

why does the software work for some but not for others?

it could be in the hardware but honestly i dont see that it is.

or the specific parts used in the computer build

or the type and brand of the add on components installed

or a user error [im sorry but Many times this is so, im even guilty of this myself]

if i sold these hydra and link systems id only guaranty them to operate on my stock parts,its like buying a ford car and adding after market add-ons and when it doest work right,you then expect the car dealer to fix it under the car warranty,it just AINT gonna happen

but instead Corsair hires people to come up with a fix for this or that brand of fan ect to appease the customer,which obviously in turn lowers their margin of profits

if a customer modded their new car it will VOID the warranty,,,do you see this happening with Corsair? NOPE

ive seen instances on here where the customer says he used a certain set of fans on a link which was too high amperage and shorts the cooling node out

YET CORSAIR STILL WARRANTYS IT,,what other business would do this?

the problem i see is a couple users complain with this problem and they do a fix but the fix is only good for a small percentage and not globally which is due to the ''or'' reasons i stated above.

and more and more fixes are made with the same results which compound it even more.

people it sucks that your having problems but give Corsair credit for going way beyond what most businesses would do.

and if im accused of being an associate or employee,then im missing out on a paycheck;):

of course tho,i have to admit i do get compensation for my efforts--i get decent products and superb warranty's

but then again those that flame,incite and go out of their way to show their dis-pleasure get the same like benefits:roll:

It's not very fair to compare this to modding a car. A car is a complete working machine with bits added on when modded. The Corsair link is not being modded, the PC already exists without it, the Corsair link is the flashy stereo or chrome wheels that is being added to the existing system/car.

And if I was buying a CD player for my car, I would expect it to play CDs 100% of the time, regardless of what car it is in, or what band or artist the CDs are of. As long as it was set up properly in the first place. Not only 1 out of 3 times I start my car.

There is no official documentation for the set up of Link, it is left to the user to figure out, so some user error is unavoidable. Maybe just including a manual and a step by step process for software installation and firmware upgrades could solve a lot of the problems.

Corsair do not make all the components of a PC (yet) and do not make an operating system, so this product by default HAS to work with products by different companies. That's the nature of making PC components.

This is marketed as (amongst other things) a fan controller. For a long time it would only do this generally consistently with Corsair branded fans (and even then only the ones in the H series boxes, not the Air Series). If this is a limitation of the system, I believe it should be stated in a disclaimer somewhere. I understand that nobody wants to make a point of the bad sides of a product, but other fan controllers are basically PWM or not. That is the only main limitation. This has far more problems than that. And that is before we even start on the other intended features/uses of Link that do not always work.

The software is improving in some ways, but it seems to be one step forward, two steps back. And the lack of information, official support, documentation etc does point to, as many have stated, a pre release beta stage product. And this is a long time after it was 'launched'.

I love the concept of Corsair Link, and I want to love it, but in it's current unreliable state I just can't. I am not going to return it, I still have hope that it will get sorted out at some point but I won't be buying anything else for it (I was considering the i series PSU, but no longer) until it is sorted out.

I don't mean to have a go and start any flaming or inciting, but when something as crucial to a systems functionality as cooling (especially CPUs) is as flakey as this, I think the displeasure and frustration of many people here is unfortunately quite justified.

first i wasnt in no way directing my previous statement solely at you in no way,if it appeared so,then i apologize for that

but

both my m/b were made after the introduction of link so i dont see how they can set their software by the all m/b standards

but have an open mind here please

i have an h80 and a h100 and both work well enough for me and im a virtual perfectionist in many ways so..

with 2 people using all the same software and hardware ..one persons will work while the other will not.

what are the differences

ive even seen people [plural] that have had 4 to 5+ units in a row that were [bad]

can you tell me how that is even remotely possible?

i agree much better documentation is needed because it appears these units are above their experience level.,because when a glitch arises,their unable to track it down.

im sorry but if stock parts are used or proven workable fans are used,none of the problems is in the software.

i used Enermax fans that worked as good as stock fans but just not as strong as stockers.

when a aftermarket fan is mounted in place of the original

then that is considered a mod

i have to disagree,software is nothing more than a coded set of commands directing certain components to perform a function,those commands can NEVER change.

why does the software work for some but not for others?

it could be in the hardware but honestly i dont see that it is.

or the specific parts used in the computer build

or the type and brand of the add on components installed

or a user error [im sorry but Many times this is so, im even guilty of this myself]

if i sold these hydra and link systems id only guaranty them to operate on my stock parts,its like buying a ford car and adding after market add-ons and when it doest work right,you then expect the car dealer to fix it under the car warranty,it just AINT gonna happen

but instead Corsair hires people to come up with a fix for this or that brand of fan ect to appease the customer,which obviously in turn lowers their margin of profits

if a customer modded their new car it will VOID the warranty,,,do you see this happening with Corsair? NOPE

ive seen instances on here where the customer says he used a certain set of fans on a link which was too high amperage and shorts the cooling node out

the problem i see is a couple users complain with this problem and they do a fix but the fix is only good for a small percentage and not globally which is due to the ''or'' reasons i stated above.

and more and more fixes are made with the same results which compound it even more.

people it sucks that your having problems but give Corsair credit for going way beyond what most businesses would do.

and if im accused of being an associate or employee,then im missing out on a paycheck;):

of course tho,i have to admit i do get compensation for my efforts--i get decent products and superb warranty's

but then again those that flame,incite and go out of their way to show their dis-pleasure get the same like benefits:roll:

I don't meant to start an argument or something, lol.

The reason I've said its software problem is, v2.2.0 ( or any other version ) paired with iRSTe v3.5.0.1092 which control c600 chipset exists in x79 platform will result a frequent BSOD, I'm talking around 10-30 minutes of idle/load pc usage.

And, its proven to be stable if Corsair Link ( Software ), used alone, or paired with iRSTe v3.0.x.xxxx..

Or any iRSTe v3.x.x.xxxx ( Including v3.5.0.1092 ) be use alone ( no Corsair Link Installed ) also proven to be stable. No BSOD. :...:

i by no means want an argument either but the link is a very complicated process trying to monitor functions thru the m/b with all the different brands and m/b types,theres just so many endless varables to deal with.

i sympathize with everyone thats having problems with these units,i know i had my share too but did get it going.

first i wasnt in no way directing my previous statement solely at you in no way,if it appeared so,then i apologize for that

im sorry but if stock parts are used or proven workable fans are used,none of the problems is in the software.

i used Enermax fans that worked as good as stock fans but just not as strong as stockers.

when a aftermarket fan is mounted in place of the original

then that is considered a mod

Oh it's ok I didn't take anything personally, and I wasn't having a go at you either, just a discussion :) I disagree, but thats why it is a discussion!

I disagree that there is no problems in the software, my problem for example is that sometimes it all works, all the fans are controllable, the temp sensors sense the temperature and the world (inside my PC case at least) is a happy place. But unfortunately sometimes when I turn my PC on, Link does not work. The program starts up but all fans and temps report as zero. Some of the fans spin, but do not register on the dashboard as doing so. Nothing has changed in the configuration of my PC, no hardware or software was added or removed and the only way to fix it is to restart a few times until it decides to work. That seems like a software issue to me, and that is just one problem I have personally, and that is quite a big bug.

If aftermarket fans are not supposed to be used, then the cooling node (which comes with no fans) should have some documentation which specifies which fans it can use (e.g replacement H series fans, not air series and no other brands etc).

But you know Corsair would never do that as it just wouldn't sell. The demographic who would want a Link, would not be happy with a case full of plain black fans and not being able to get the best fans they can find. Some want quieter, some want bigger, some want flashy LEDs etc.

Yes all programs have bugs and all programs get updated. If Windows only started 1 out of 3 times you can be pretty sure an update would be done very quickly to resolve it. While I sympathise with Corsair that there are a billion different hardware/software combinations to deal with, that is the nature of the PC business. They are not stupid, they knew what they were getting into with Link but for a product which has been incredibly slow to get somewhere near stable and usable, they need to pick their game up.

Currently the 'fix' for anything is to reinstall it or swap USB headers, which is just a band aid measure for a short term fix. Take my issue for example, if I reinstall, it works. Just long enough for me to recreate my profile, but then if my PC gets shut down or restarts for any reason, it's a gamble if Link will come back on properly.

Like I said before, I REALLY want to love Link and I have plenty of other Corsair products in my PC (H100, H80, ram, PSU, case etc) and they are all great and do exactly what they should, and do it very well. Link is unfortunately not up to the standards Corsair have set for themselves.

Oh it's ok I didn't take anything personally, and I wasn't having a go at you either, just a discussion :) I disagree, but thats why it is a discussion!

and i appreciate that coming from you ,most would get mad because my opinion is different and tgen the lashing starts

ive had my share of problems too.i have 2 systems thats basically the same,one would work,one would not.it perturbed me to no end my not being able to isolate the issue to the point ramguy sent a replacement.oddly enough i had been working on it and 20 minutes after i got notified it was on its way ,i got my link fixed.

what ive come to realize is some software when reinstalled on top of itself will skip a file if that file already exists,so what 'if' that file is corrupted?

its another bad install.

i spent like an hour removing every reference of link from my system and reinstalled it again

that was last month and its worked very well since

unless you dig in the system and registry file you cant remove every instance so its a risky endeavor,for me i have hot swap bays with my old ssd drives that has a recent image of windows on it.

i think software isnt the culprit but in the lack of dependable operation of aftermarket fans.

while stock fans are bland looking i still suggest using them to cool the computers and use the glitter fans from the m/b as i think the leds are causing amperage fluctuation making it hard for corsair to control.

most complain stock fans are too loud but i sleep less than 3 feet from these computers that has 15 stockers in them,they run at 600 rpm at idle and at top load of 100 % load they go up to 975 still barely audible.now if it happens to get to 75c in temp they ramp up higher but that has yet to happen and i encode movies hours on end.

i agree more docs are needed and less confusing software builds but again that does show corsairs dedication to its customers.

and again thx for keeping it a discussion;):

Well I think you're giving them too much credit and havn't done your research or have forgotten so please let me explain.

When Corsair says "Corsair Link kits include fan controllers that work with virtually any standard PC case fan" to me means I can use any fan to control my system as the majority do.

You better believe WE ARE going out of our way on this. Corsair STILL doesn't post on their product page, the specs of the link and what the Link can handle so you can't blame the customers around the globe and you can't assume everyone knows a forum exists.

Update: Under the tech spec tab I just checked and it only says "Warranty - NO" So Idk wtf is going on and if this was a YES before OR they are stopping to warrant this now OR this product is being scrapped. Would like some answers from this.

Bottom line this Product/Software I feel is in ALPHA stage and NOT BETA.

of course tho,i have to admit i do get compensation for my efforts

Beta Tester?

It's not very fair to compare this to modding a car. A car is a complete working machine with bits added on when modded. The Corsair link is not being modded, the PC already exists without it, the Corsair link is the flashy stereo or chrome wheels that is being added to the existing system/car.

And if I was buying a CD player for my car, I would expect it to play CDs 100% of the time, regardless of what car it is in, or what band or artist the CDs are of. As long as it was set up properly in the first place. Not only 1 out of 3 times I start my car.

There is no official documentation for the set up of Link, it is left to the user to figure out, so some user error is unavoidable. Maybe just including a manual and a step by step process for software installation and firmware upgrades could solve a lot of the problems.

Corsair do not make all the components of a PC (yet) and do not make an operating system, so this product by default HAS to work with products by different companies. That's the nature of making PC components.

This is marketed as (amongst other things) a fan controller. For a long time it would only do this generally consistently with Corsair branded fans (and even then only the ones in the H series boxes, not the Air Series). If this is a limitation of the system, I believe it should be stated in a disclaimer somewhere. I understand that nobody wants to make a point of the bad sides of a product, but other fan controllers are basically PWM or not. That is the only main limitation. This has far more problems than that. And that is before we even start on the other intended features/uses of Link that do not always work.

The software is improving in some ways, but it seems to be one step forward, two steps back. And the lack of information, official support, documentation etc does point to, as many have stated, a pre release beta stage product. And this is a long time after it was 'launched'.

I love the concept of Corsair Link, and I want to love it, but in it's current unreliable state I just can't. I am not going to return it, I still have hope that it will get sorted out at some point but I won't be buying anything else for it (I was considering the i series PSU, but no longer) until it is sorted out.

I don't mean to have a go and start any flaming or inciting, but when something as Crucial to a systems functionality as cooling (especially CPUs) is as flakey as this, I think the displeasure and frustration of many people here is unfortunately quite justified.

I agree with you over 1000% and everything you said pretty much sums it for me before my brain explodes. Thank you for taking the time and posting all of this.

I disagree that there is no problems in the software, my problem for example is that sometimes it all works, all the fans are controllable, the temp sensors sense the temperature and the world (inside my PC case at least) is a happy place. But unfortunately sometimes when I turn my PC on, Link does not work. The program starts up but all fans and temps report as zero. Some of the fans spin, but do not register on the dashboard as doing so. Nothing has changed in the configuration of my PC, no hardware or software was added or removed and the only way to fix it is to restart a few times until it decides to work. That seems like a software issue to me, and that is just one problem I have personally, and that is quite a big bug.

If aftermarket fans are not supposed to be used, then the cooling node (which comes with no fans) should have some documentation which specifies which fans it can use (e.g replacement H series fans, not air series and no other brands etc).

But you know Corsair would never do that as it just wouldn't sell. The demographic who would want a Link, would not be happy with a case full of plain black fans and not being able to get the best fans they can find. Some want quieter, some want bigger, some want flashy LEDs etc.

Yes all programs have bugs and all programs get updated. If Windows only started 1 out of 3 times you can be pretty sure an update would be done very quickly to resolve it. While I sympathise with Corsair that there are a billion different hardware/software combinations to deal with, that is the nature of the PC business. They are not stupid, they knew what they were getting into with Link but for a product which has been incredibly slow to get somewhere near stable and usable, they need to pick their game up.

Currently the 'fix' for anything is to reinstall it or swap USB headers, which is just a band aid measure for a short term fix. Take my issue for example, if I reinstall, it works. Just long enough for me to recreate my profile, but then if my PC gets shut down or restarts for any reason, it's a gamble if Link will come back on properly.

Like I said before, I REALLY want to love Link and I have plenty of other Corsair products in my PC (H100, H80, ram, PSU, case etc) and they are all great and do exactly what they should, and do it very well. Link is unfortunately not up to the standards Corsair have set for themselves.

For goodness sake you can't say it any better than the way you have explained sir. I vouch for you to speak for me as you have pin point accuracy on how I feel but at times I let my frustrations take over me and can't explain it as well as you did. You're my new SPOKESPERSON if I may. lol You have hit the head on the coffin.

are there some kind of fringe benefits being one?

Basically if you're a beta tester you get the hardware for free :biggrin: and report back to them on everything. Basically what we have been doing for almost a year now but paid.

P.S. - I don't want to offend anyone with what I've said and I'am not anti-corsair by any means. I just BOUGHT during black friday week their K90 Keyboard, M60 Mouse, Vengeance 12gig Ram and AX1200i and I use their 800D, Vengeance 1500 Headphones, XMS1333, TX950 PSU.......I think you guys get my point.

Basically if you're a beta tester you get the hardware for free :biggrin: and report back to them on everything. Basically what we have been doing for almost a year now.

P.S. - I don't want to offend anyone with what I've said and I'am not anti-corsair by any means. I just BOUGHT during black friday week their K90 Keyboard, M60 Mouse, Vengeance 12gig Ram and AX1200i and I use their 800D, Vengeance 1500 Headphones, XMS1333, TX950 PSU.......I think you guys get my point.

hmm,if im one then i guess i spent almost 6k in taxes for the free hardware on these 2 machines :D:

in reality were all testers on every product we buy,,my son has 3 large boxes of parts ive given him because they werent up to snuff for me

and i appreciate that coming from you ,most would get mad because my opinion is different and tgen the lashing starts

Not a problem, I am a fully grown geek who is disappointed in a purchase with an opinion, thats all, not a teenage geek who is angry at the world and eager to prove who has the biggest, er, hard drive. Despite what 95% of the internet seems to think, ranting and arguing doesn't do anyone any good. I am disappointed but I do not believe Corsair owes me the world/a class action suit/my PC's weight in gold bullion but I would like a stable product that does what it says on the tin. But the bullion will be gladly accepted if offered.

(RAMGUY, if this is an option, my PC weighs about 427.3kg. Honest)

I hope we all get what we want :D:

For goodness sake you can't say it any better than the way you have explained sir. I vouch for you to speak for me as you have pin point accuracy on how I feel but at times I let my frustrations take over me and can't explain it as well as you did. You're my new SPOKESPERSON if I may. lol You have hit the head on the coffin.

Haha, well for the next 2 weeks if you want to send me your posts for proof-reading I will see what I can do! After that however I will be out at sea for 4 months, so you may be better making notes for two weeks, practicing and then going it alone :biggrin:

Not a problem, I am a fully grown geek who is disappointed in a purchase with an opinion, thats all, not a teenage geek who is angry at the world and eager to prove who has the biggest, er, hard drive. Despite what 95% of the internet seems to think, ranting and arguing doesn't do anyone any good. I am disappointed but I do not believe Corsair owes me the world/a class action suit/my PC's weight in gold bullion but I would like a stable product that does what it says on the tin. But the bullion will be gladly accepted if offered.

(RAMGUY, if this is an option, my PC weighs about 427.3kg. Honest)

427.3 kg??? And you're using corsair 600t, what the hell you've put inside the case? Lead? LOL.

* I still stands with my point, Corsair RND, do something with the software.. :D:

Corsair, fix your software. Against my better judgement, I bought a H80i to replace my defective H80... the pump had that charming grinding noise. The drivers for this device fail to load and I've tried every asinine suggested solution to fix it. (swapping usb headers while machine is on etc.) Without the drivers I cannot take full advantage of the H80i.

I noticed your product catalog has grown greatly in recent years. I'm anticipating the official Corsair coasters release next spring. My CO had a saying, "Stick to what you're good at." You're releasing many diverse products. Unfortunately, the quality of your products has suffered. Looking over these forums anyone can see that. Heck, there's even a mixup with the mounting screws in your printed manual...

The amount of hoops I have to jump through now to get your product working as promised is ridiculous. I'm not going to RMA the unit to you. I've already wasted enough of my time and money with you. You've fooled me twice now, so shame on me. I'm sure your competitors can offer a better experience. Do right by your customers, get your heads out of the sands of denial, and fix your product. hooah

Still no, the thief should just locate the "Lead" and remove the "Lead" as it would not be pricey in the market. LOL.

TS, sorry for out of context.

:offtopic: Sorry for being (and apparently causing!) the off topicness recently. Just to clarify, my PC doesn't really weigh that much, I was just hoping that Corsair would give me it's weight in gold. But please don't tell RAMGUY that I was lying, just in case they come through with the bullion... :offtopic:

Archived