Corsair Community

Compatibility between D945PSNLK and Value Select 2gb DDR

GuyBFF

I purchased the 2gb kit of Value Select 2gb DDR2 533 this week and after a fresh Windows install I started noticing some strange behaviours. Memtest failed with hundreds of errors. I also purchased some cheap RAM from work and found similar errors ... which leads me to believe the motherboard is defective.

Intel refuses to RMA the board as they say this RAM is not a 'verified' module and will only RMA after I find one of there (varies unknown cheap manufacture) 'verified' brands of modules.

I did try flashing the BIOS and verified the correct 4-4-4-12 timings are automatically detected. When I test the RAM individually ... it passes (one stick at a time in slot A0). Strangely, the RAM fails (with around 40-100 errors) at about 400mb with the 2gb Corsair kit, and about 200mb with the cheap 1gb kit I purchased to test the board, but only on about every 2nd or third pass.

Can anyone confirm this is a board issue ... so I can tell Intel what I think of there 'verified' modules.

I purchased the 2gb kit of Value Select 2gb DDR2 533 this week and after a fresh Windows install I started noticing some strange behaviours. Memtest failed with hundreds of errors. I also purchased some cheap RAM from work and found similar errors ... which leads me to believe the motherboard is defective.

Intel refuses to RMA the board as they say this RAM is not a 'verified' module and will only RMA after I find one of there (varies unknown cheap manufacture) 'verified' brands of modules.

I did try flashing the BIOS and verified the correct 4-4-4-12 timings are automatically detected. When I test the RAM individually ... it passes (one stick at a time in slot A0). Strangely, the RAM fails (with around 40-100 errors) at about 400mb with the 2gb Corsair kit, and about 200mb with the cheap 1gb kit I purchased to test the board, but only on about every 2nd or third pass.

Can anyone confirm this is a board issue ... so I can tell Intel what I think of there 'verified' modules.

Actually, Memtest86 should have been run with only one stick of memory installed at a time. If all of your sticks of memory come up with errors, then there is likely some other issue with your system, such as a dying PSU or video card. However, if one of the modules in each pair come out error-free but the other stick does come out with errors, then the memory kit is likely defective.

Individually ... the sticks pass Memtest. They only fail in pairs.

I'll try a second power supply tonight, however it's a new Enermax 485w which has near perfect voltages in the hardware monitor.

Video Card? Could that actually cause Memtest to fail? I have an ATI x800XL?

I would check out the modules in another system if you can.

This would mean any stick of RAM that is on the QVL list for that MOBO.

Archived