The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Systems > CORSAIR ONE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2017, 05:59 PM

POST ID # = 919301
VRGamer147 Reputation: 10

Dustin,

Many thanks for your reply. I've not actually purchased the Corsair One, due to its future proof failings, and God knows what other problems judging by this forum.

Still, think it's a great product you've made. But may I suggest for Corsair One MK2 that you use a slightly larger, but still cool looking case. It's no good being as small as it is if creates endless problems and lack of upgradeablity.

Best Regards,

VRGamer

Old 09-08-2017, 03:43 PM
Corsair Employee
Corsair Dustin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 919374
Corsair Dustin Reputation: 41

Believe me, if we were to make a second generation Corsair One platform, upgradeability would be a huge priority.

As for the "God knows what other problems judging by this forum," I don't believe that's entirely fair. The chief problem we've had with Corsair One has been the PCI Express ribbon issue, and we've recalled those and are beginning to send out replacement systems. I haven't seen any other issues really pop up that wouldn't happen with any other PC.

I totally get that Corsair One, at least in its current design, isn't for you, and that's cool. If the stuff we make doesn't suit your needs, we're always totally fine with our customers finding something somewhere else that suits them better. But please don't paint it with a broad brush. It's a great product we're all very proud of that unfortunately ran into a hurdle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRGamer147 View Post
Dustin,

Many thanks for your reply. I've not actually purchased the Corsair One, due to its future proof failings, and God knows what other problems judging by this forum.

Still, think it's a great product you've made. But may I suggest for Corsair One MK2 that you use a slightly larger, but still cool looking case. It's no good being as small as it is if creates endless problems and lack of upgradeablity.

Best Regards,

VRGamer

Please do not send private messages requesting tech support or trouble shooting. You can create a thread and let the solution to your issue be visible to everyone, or alternatively, work directly with tech support by contacting them here.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:13 AM

POST ID # = 919409
zguy85 Reputation: 10

Corsair Dustin, thank you for your replies I have been meaning to thank you. Even with the One being very challenging to upgrade, I still love it and will not give it up. I believe that it will be able to be upgraded in the future with some ingenuity and imagination. Additionally, I am banking on the fact that future GPU cores will pull 180W or less similar to the 1080GTX with similar to less heat... we'll see. Otherwise this system will remain plenty powerful if running anything at 1080P or even at 1440 with High FPS which I currently am and should be fine for the years to come.

Amazing machine and you guys will have my business with your ONE Mk2. I will be first to order your next model hands down, especially if it retains the near same beautiful small form factor and unique modern aluminum design. Great job Team Corsair! and thanks again Dustin.

-Justin

Last edited by zguy85; 09-09-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 919681

Glad to be of service. :)

Please do not send private messages requesting tech support or trouble shooting. You can create a thread and let the solution to your issue be visible to everyone, or alternatively, work directly with tech support by contacting them here.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:58 PM
TechB's PC Specs

POST ID # = 920289
TechB Reputation: 10
Important

Quote:
Hi zguy85,
... future motherboards and GPU's will run much hotter, making this type of build obsolete.
Bah, wrote a long long reply, and the forum lost it, because it logged me out while writing. So here it is again, without all the examples :p

Bottom line: NO power will NOT limit your upgrades of the Corsair One Pro. Due to its two huge radiators, it has excellent cooling! And if you choose the 1080Ti version, the PSU is plenty large.
Anyway, system power for high end systems have not increased since 2010! Actually it has definitely fallen a bit...

Top single-GPU cards have been capped at 250W TDP since the NVidia GTX480 from 2010. Even today, the 1080Ti still have a 250W TDP.

Top quad-core i7 CPU's have been at 130W TDP since i7 was introduced in 2007! The latest two generations 6700K and 7700K have actually been LOWER at 91W TDP.
(The 6-10 core versions have been slightly higher at 140W, and a single one in 2012 used 150W).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...pation_figures

Realistically, the GPU can draw peaks up to 300W, and the CPU up to ~150W under full load (TDP is just the suggested design criteria for the cooling! I.e. normal max load, averaged over some seconds).

The GPU is actually limited by the PCI-e standard to 300W (75W PCI-e slot + 75W 6pin power + 150W 8pin power).
As I understand, since ATX 2.0 (2003) the CPU power is limited by the P4 12V pins, which can supply max 196W.

So in short, both CPU and GPU power has tended flat for at least 7 years.

While a new GPU in 3-4 years MAY use more than 250W, it is just unlikely. And even if that does happen, you can just take a slight step down from the extreme top model (i.e. 1070/1080 instead of 1080Ti today), and you will definitely be fine, and still get a dramatic speed increase.
Especially if you choose a 1080Ti model today, which gets the 500W PSU (the 1070/1080 models only have 400W PSU's).

What WILL limit your ability to upgrade, is that the Corsair One is quite hard to upgrade, due to custom water cooling and a VERY compact cabinet.

The Corsair One Pro combines Power, Small and Quiet - which is extremely hard to do yourself to this degree.
If you don't need Quiet and/or Small, then you can easily make your own system cheaper and it will be much easier to upgrade.
Small: If you can go with a normal horizontal design, instead of the vertical Corsair One, then the GPU doesn't need all the funny internal cabling.
Quiet: If you can go for an aircooled GPU, then the upgrade path will be VERY easy. And some of them are reasonably quiet today too. You just need some system fans too.
But if you need all three, nobody does it better than Corsair One.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:09 AM
Qqu's PC Specs

POST ID # = 920518
Qqu Reputation: 10

Quote:
I really don't want to spend £2600 on a machine that will be outdated in only a couple of years time.
I find this statement interesting as any computer whether prebuilt or custom built will be outdated in a few years. Just last year in June I put together a new rig with a custom water loop. It has a x99 FTW K mobo, i7-6850k, Corsair's 3200mhz 32gb Blackout SE memory and 2 EVGA 1080 Ti in SLI. It is on the verge of being outdate now with the release of Threadripper and upcoming x299 gear. in 2 years (if not less) it will be really outdated and the machine is not future proof.

To upgrade a CPU, a new motherboard will likely be required and possibly memory. That alone could be over 2k depending on the level of gear purchased. I am an enthusiast so I go big in most of the time. I could possibly upgrade the graphics cards providing PCI-e is still the standard in a few years. I am already tiring of my case so that is another item to consider. $$$$$

The One is a nice computer for people who don't know how to build a machine themselves or don't want to do it anymore. If I was in the market now, that machine would be on my short list as it's components will run games at acceptable frame rates for years to come.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:03 AM
HoneyBadgerUK's PC Specs

POST ID # = 920838
HoneyBadgerUK Reputation: 10

I'm not entirely sure I would agree with a lot of the above. Working in IT and as a system builder I've been looking at the CP1.

Now while I admit, any upgrade paths from the "normal home user" are fraught with potential disaster, someone who knows their way around a PC should be able to upgrade no problem.

Looking at the CP1, it's just an ITX board, as long as the general height of the board doesn't exceed that of the MSI, you could, in theory put any ITX board there.

Yes the I9's will produce more heat, more than the passive cooler in the CP1 can handle, but the next iteration of Z270 should be more thermally efficient meaning less heat.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:21 PM

POST ID # = 929944
Vicious_Gamer Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Dustin View Post
To be honest, I actually genuinely feel your pain. You're mad and you SHOULD be. I took over as manager for Corsair One after launch and have had to discover firsthand how specialized the hardware is.

Make no mistake, from an engineering standpoint I do think it's an absolutely fantastic product with an innovative cooling system able to balance performance and noise in a way nobody else really has in this form factor.

But I also recognize its shortcomings in terms of the upgradeability that was promised and not delivered upon to the depth that you and I would like, and I've made efforts to correct our public messaging where possible to line it up with what's actually feasible with Corsair One.

If the inability to upgrade the graphics card is a dealbreaker for you, you're welcome to contact customer service and request a return with my blessing. We recognize the damage is done and there's nothing that can be done to make it fully right, but we can do the best we can if given the opportunity.

Corsair have clearly made catastrophic errors with the One Pro ti. We can all see it was advertised as being future proof, and now your saying it can’t be so go buy another product if we want upgradabity.

What you should be doing is working hard to innovate and deliver what was promised. Work with your partners to at least find a solution for ugrading the GPU in the future.

Otherwise you may as well scrap this product. Someone needs to be fired for the issues that has now come to light.

I hope to see Corsair find a solution and exceed customer expectations.

Last edited by Vicious_Gamer; 12-10-2017 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Grammar

Old 12-10-2017, 04:19 PM

POST ID # = 929961
CNBIII Reputation: 10

Quote:
Corsair have clearly made catastrophic errors with the One Pro ti.
Light up Francis, That seems a little excessive....

Old 12-10-2017, 04:49 PM

POST ID # = 929965

Agreed CNBIII. Yes, there was word of "possible" upgradeability in the future, but that was and only a possibility. Doesn't look like that's going to happen. When I had purchased this product I knew no matter what that it was only a 50/50 shot that Corsair would provide an easy plug and play or turn in solution for upgrades.

Overall it's a great product, but anyone with some sense who really researched this product, knew that it was put together in such a unique and custom fashion that it would be very difficult to upgrade further, let alone by yourself. I understood this and accepted that outcome upon purchase.

I will say this though. I wish Corsair would offer upgrade options, especially offering the ability to purchase the components ... cough cough 500W Power Supply... of later and higher performing models with option of taking on the task upgrading ourselves at our own risk. There should be absolutely no reason this wouldn't be allowed and this is what frustrates me the most.

I have replaced the top fan with Corsair's PRO Model and yes it is tad bit louder, but my CPU temp no b.s went down about 4-5C avg. which I love, and highly recommend all to do with this easy $28 modification. http://a.co/dcEZykX

Last edited by zguy85; 12-10-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:05 PM

POST ID # = 929967
CNBIII Reputation: 10

Would be great if when time comes that upgrades make sense Corsair would, to extent readily doable, take them and perform. I'd pay for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zguy85 View Post
I have replaced the top fan with Corsair's PRO Model and yes it is tad bit louder, but my CPU temp no b.s went down about 4-5C avg. which I love, and highly recommend all to do with this easy $28 modification. http://a.co/dcEZykX
Does that really make much of a difference? (I'm not a builder.) I'm assuming my CPU temp is fine as is.

Last edited by Technobeard; 12-10-2017 at 05:13 PM. Reason: added BBCODE

Old 12-10-2017, 05:17 PM

POST ID # = 929968

It's not necessary for all, but there are those like myself who are looking to keep the temps down anyway we can. If you overclock your processor further than Corsair's stock settings, I absolutely recommend it.

Last edited by zguy85; 12-10-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:23 PM

POST ID # = 929975
Vicious_Gamer Reputation: 10

Exactly they could and should try and help customers who want to upgrade at their own risk.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:29 PM

POST ID # = 930089
MrPace Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zguy85 View Post
Agreed CNBIII. Yes, there was word of "possible" upgradeability in the future, but that was and only a possibility. Doesn't look like that's going to happen. When I had purchased this product I knew no matter what that it was only a 50/50 shot that Corsair would provide an easy plug and play or turn in solution for upgrades.

Overall it's a great product, but anyone with some sense who really researched this product, knew that it was put together in such a unique and custom fashion that it would be very difficult to upgrade further, let alone by yourself. I understood this and accepted that outcome upon purchase.

I will say this though. I wish Corsair would offer upgrade options, especially offering the ability to purchase the components ... cough cough 500W Power Supply... of later and higher performing models with option of taking on the task upgrading ourselves at our own risk. There should be absolutely no reason this wouldn't be allowed and this is what frustrates me the most.

Anything else you've done to keep temps down? I don't really like it that my M.2 SSD idles in the 50s and gets into the mid 60s under load...with 70 being the throttle point.

Don't really understand how they were able to get excellent GPU cooling while leaving the CPU and M.2 SSD running hotter than I (and most others) would like.

My CPU idles in the 40s

Old 12-11-2017, 01:48 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 930102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious_Gamer View Post
Exactly they could and should try and help customers who want to upgrade at their own risk.
As far as the graphics card is concerned, we actually legally can't do this. The graphics card is secured to the rear power plug, it's a safety hazard for end users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPace View Post
Anything else you've done to keep temps down? I don't really like it that my M.2 SSD idles in the 50s and gets into the mid 60s under load...with 70 being the throttle point.

Don't really understand how they were able to get excellent GPU cooling while leaving the CPU and M.2 SSD running hotter than I (and most others) would like.

My CPU idles in the 40s
Compromises made to get the layout the way it was and the system at the size it's at. The M.2 slot is on the underside of the motherboard and partially blocked by the PCIe ribbon cable and the chassis itself, so airflow back there is less than ideal.

By the same token, the CPU chamber is on the small side and airflow is only okay there. The i7-7700K is also a hot running chip with mediocre TIM under the heatspreader (i7-8700K is even worse), and we tune the system to run as quietly as possible. This is why we allow you to run the system fan at full speed in Corsair Link: if you demand more cooling performance, you can get it.