The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Systems > CORSAIR ONE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2017, 12:58 PM

POST ID # = 918597
VRGamer147 Reputation: 10
Default Upgrading the GPU or CPU - Corsair One

Hi all,

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Corsair One, but the only thing stopping me from doing so is the fact that upgrading the two main components of the machine is no easy task.

I live in the United Kingdom, is there a Corsair centre where I can send it for upgrades such as GPU or CPU?

Not sure I would want to attempt myself, even after the two year warranty expires.

Any advice greatly appreciated to help me go forward with the purchase.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:38 PM

POST ID # = 918610

I see from other threads here that upgrading the CPU is not an option. For example, the i9 will be way too hot for this diminutive build of PC.

But what about the most important element of all for gamers. The GPU?

How difficult is it to upgrade this?

I really don't want to spend £2600 on a machine that will be outdated in only a couple of years time.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:10 PM

POST ID # = 918616

Is it an option at a later date, when games have advanced beyond the 1080 ti to add an eGPU to this system?

I understand eGPU still doesn't work as good as an internal GPU though. Hence, why I would prefer to upgrade my £2.5k machine internally.

Looking for advice directly from a Corsair engineer or expert in this field?

Old 09-01-2017, 04:26 PM

POST ID # = 918617
mnetting Reputation: 10

I don't believe Corsair has really said whether they would offer any future upgrade options when GPUs and CPUs change but some of the other posts on the forum suggest they don't have plans to take that step. Only Corsair knows for sure though.

CPU upgrade wise the i9 series of kabylake-X and skylake-x processors can't be installed because they use a different socket then then 1151 socked used in the z270 board from the Corsair One.

It also looks like Intel's upcoming 8 series CPU's like the rumored 8700k and such are going to use a new/updated socket of some kind or they just won't have firmware updates to work with older MLB's and will require a new 300 series Motherboard so that isn't an upgrade path either.

EGPU's are really being built around thunderbolt which the Corsair One does not offer. It's unlikely that any EGPU will connect to and work with the Corsair One in the future.

If you want to upgrade the CPU then you will need a new motherboard which you could replace although it would void your warranty. The MLB in the Corsair one is just a standard it z270 board but there could be issues with the placement of certain components that could keep things from lining up.

If you want to upgrade the GPU again technically it's a standard MSI Seahawk I believe and there are mounts for other 2 slot cards if you have the version with the radiator and maybe 3 if you have the version without the radiator. Lining up things could be an issue again and heat/power generation could come into play as issues too so you might need a new PSU which is a standard SFX Corsair part.

Overall upgradability is there but it's more complicated then just swapping this or that out and likely will require a lot of forethought and potentially some compromises. With that said I'm planning on changing the PSU and MLB shortly in mine and getting the 7700k they sent de-lidded to bring them temps down.

Good Luck.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:42 PM

POST ID # = 918627

Hi mnetting,

Now that's the kind of response I was looking for, you clearly know your stuff.
I suppose my biggest fear is this. I'm spending what for me is a lot of money, and I would want at least five years comprehensive gaming from this machine. Without the ability to at least easily replace the GPU, that's not going to happen.

So two years from now, I own a machine that I can't upgrade and is way below standard specifications for 2020 Virtual Reality games.

Does that give this machine bang for your buck? Two years from now, already needing to look for a new computer? At the price, I would say no.

Any opinions greatly appreciated?

Old 09-01-2017, 06:17 PM

POST ID # = 918629

I wish I could so confidently say I would replace the PSU and MLB myself, but I wouldn't have a clue.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:19 PM

POST ID # = 918707
mnetting Reputation: 10

Given what you are saying I would suggest going with a different pre-built or doing some research and building your own system. The Corsair one should still be pretty viable for 5 years but it won't be top of the line in it's current config for more then maybe 2 or 3 at most. Gamers Nexus on Youtube has some good first time building videos if I recall correctly as does Paul's Hardware.

I bought the one because I wanted a very small system with vertical airflow that I could manually work on in the future and I didn't want to build one myself. I was planning on getting the phanteks shift case when it came out but it got delayed so I just got the one instead.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:52 PM

POST ID # = 918732

Hi mnetting,

I would just like to thank you again for your response on this shoddy forum. I personally think that Corsair should be paying you as one of their expert engineers, seeing as the actual Corsair reps are far too busy to respond to a very simple question.

I wish I knew how difficult it was to do this GPU upgrade in around two years time, I can only go on what your telling me, and I really do appreciate the feedback. That Phanteks Shift case looks mightily similar the Corsair One, but let's be honest, it's just not as swish. Never built a PC in my life, perhaps now is a good time to start. I just wish someone from Corsair could simply say "Yeah, we can upgrade it for. Just send to this address, etc."

But no, it's like they are completely ignoring the question. Despite this video I found on YouTube. Clearly stating they can upgrade for you, yet no response anywhere. Even upon asking the place I was potentially buying from in UK, after emailing them about it. Their words, "I don't think this is a service they will be offering".

Old 09-02-2017, 05:57 PM

POST ID # = 918733

It's advertised as being 'Future Proof' and will grow with you. How the f£&@ is future proof if it's not easily upgradeable on the GPU, and there is zero response from the company themselves about a service offering it.

I think I should just send it to you mnetting.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:44 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 918744
Wired Reputation: 32

8/21:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Dustin View Post
We investigated doing an upgrade program for the graphics hardware and found it would be extremely costly to implement - not just for us, but for end users. For example, upgrading the 1080 system to a 1080 Ti would require:

1. Changing the PSU
2. Changing the top system fan
3. Changing the graphics card
4. Adding an additional power cable for the card

With the way Corsair One is engineered, there really isn't a good way to upgrade the graphics hardware. The PSUs used in Corsair One aren't available in retail or as spare parts, and the cooling system is designed specifically for the graphics card already installed.

Like mnetting said, it sounds like you'd be better off building your own system.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 09-03-2017, 01:10 PM

POST ID # = 918813

Wired,

Thank you, this pretty much answers my question.

I suppose the only other question I've got, is will the 1080ti and Intel 7700K be a powerful enough computer to run top end AAA games in say three years from now?

Despite everything regarding the upgradability I still am seriously tempted to buy it. If I could get three years top end gaming at silky smooth frame rates before it started to wane, I guess I could live with it.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:47 PM

POST ID # = 918851
zguy85 Reputation: 10

I'm just frustrated that at one point it had seemed that there was to be upgradability from Corsair and now it doesn't. Furthermore, I am pretty upset at the fact it seems Corsair will not sell you the parts from the One TI to upgrade period.

Corsair Alan and Dustin is this the way Corsair has decided to do business??? Or will Corsair allow us to purchase those parts at a later time? What I'm getting at is, am I stuck with what I have now? I would really appreciate a response. Thanks.

-Justin

Last edited by zguy85; 09-03-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:44 PM

POST ID # = 918952

Hi zguy85,

I wouldn't hold your breath, you may as well be talking to the wall.

Simple fact is, Corsair built this PC thinking it would be upgradeable, but future motherboards and GPU's will run much hotter, making this type of build obsolete.

They just don't want to admit it, as obviously it would see sales plummet.

As great as it looks, it's as about future proof as a Betamax video recorder.

Last edited by VRGamer147; 09-04-2017 at 01:46 PM.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:46 PM

POST ID # = 918953

Old 09-06-2017, 12:22 PM
Corsair Employee
Corsair Dustin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 919151
Corsair Dustin Reputation: 41

To be honest, I actually genuinely feel your pain. You're mad and you SHOULD be. I took over as manager for Corsair One after launch and have had to discover firsthand how specialized the hardware is.

Make no mistake, from an engineering standpoint I do think it's an absolutely fantastic product with an innovative cooling system able to balance performance and noise in a way nobody else really has in this form factor.

But I also recognize its shortcomings in terms of the upgradeability that was promised and not delivered upon to the depth that you and I would like, and I've made efforts to correct our public messaging where possible to line it up with what's actually feasible with Corsair One.

If the inability to upgrade the graphics card is a dealbreaker for you, you're welcome to contact customer service and request a return with my blessing. We recognize the damage is done and there's nothing that can be done to make it fully right, but we can do the best we can if given the opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRGamer147 View Post
Hi zguy85,

I wouldn't hold your breath, you may as well be talking to the wall.

Simple fact is, Corsair built this PC thinking it would be upgradeable, but future motherboards and GPU's will run much hotter, making this type of build obsolete.

They just don't want to admit it, as obviously it would see sales plummet.

As great as it looks, it's as about future proof as a Betamax video recorder.

Please do not send private messages requesting tech support or trouble shooting. You can create a thread and let the solution to your issue be visible to everyone, or alternatively, work directly with tech support by contacting them here.

1 members found this post helpful.