Corsair Community

Black screen/PC not booting after several iCue reinstalls+system restore

Aszura

Hi,

I recently acquired the Corsair K70 RGB MK2 low profile rapidfire keyboard and installed the iCue software in order to change the lighting. After some initial issues where the program would show up in Task Manager but wouldn’t open, I visited the forums and found a work-around. Program worked fine for several days until I was trying to create on-board lighting profiles and saw a pop up in the lower left corner to update. Thinking it might help me get access to more features, I did so. A series of events followed:

1. The update didn’t go through smoothly and I had to close the program through task manager. Upon reopening, I found myself in the old version (v3.22.74) and the program was lagging horribly. With no other programs open, having iCue opened was causing fps drops as low as 20 on my 240Hz monitor, Asus X99-A II mobo, i7-6800k CPU and GTX1070 GPU system.
  2. Checked Task Manager and saw that iCue was now taking roughly 200MB of memory usage while open and around 90MB while minimized. Before “updating” it had run at roughly 70MB minimized and roughly 150MB while open.

• Uninstalled iCue, removed all iCue-related files and folders. Then proceeded to do a clean install of v3.23.66 from the Corsair downloads page. Went through the install procedure, had to apply the same work-around to get it to start up but got that done. Same problem! Horrible lag while open, unusable. Found it was now running at roughly 120MB while minimized and 280-300MB while open.

• Repeated the uninstall/remove process and downloaded v3.22.74 to see if that would fix it. Sadly, it didn’t. Exactly the same amount of lag, but the memory usage had gone up again (~150MB minimized, ~350-400MB while open).

• Did it once more with an even older version and it gave me the exact same problem, again with an even higher memory usage (~180MB minimized, ~400-470MB open).

Since I had no luck finding a solution online, I decided to do a Windows system restore to a point when I hadn’t made any changes to iCue yet (dec 8). Initiated system restore and all went well until the restore had just finished: instead of showing the “completed” dialogue box where you restart the PC, my screen went completely black and all I could see was my spinning cursor (as if it was loading) on a loop. I left it for at least an hour thinking it might just be taking a crazy long time. After that, I noticed I could move the mouse, but clicking, Ctrl+Alt+Del or any other button combination was ineffective. Left it for another 1.5hrs and then decided to manually shut off my PC.

Booted it back up and it shows me the exact same thing! Completely black screen, no key combinations work. I can get into the BIOS for my motherboard and tried starting the Windows boot manager from there: no luck (black screen). At this point, I have no clue how to get my PC running again without losing all of my (non-backed up) files. Has anyone seen similar issues with the Corsair iCue software and/or more importantly, is anyone able to help me figure out how to fix this?:confused::[pouts:

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me!

• 3 weeks later...
i am having the same exact problem. pick up the k70 mk2 low profile keyboard yesterday, plugged it in and everything was fine. Shut down my pc for the night and the next morning, just black screen during start up. My pc boots fine when the keyboard isn't plugged in. Tried downloading iCue, uninstalling iCue, updating the firmware, and nothing has seemed to help the problem. Did you ever find the fix?