Corsair Community

LS100 and commander Pro

I was wondering, has anyone tried hooking these new RGB strips up to a lighting node Pro or commander pro? Ifso, do they work right? can they be controlled?

I got a double kit + expansion kit coming and i'd love to know.

A) I've done it.

B) They work. The are WS2812B LEDs just like all the other Corsair RGB LEDs with the notable exception of the original SP-RGB fans.

C) You can't configure the channel as LS100 strips. You'd have to use something else and make sure that the total LED count is equal to or more than the number of LEDs in the LS100 strip(s).

D) You have to be careful with power draw. The number of LEDs on the LS100 will easily overload a CoPro/NoPro and blow a fuse. Keep it to about 2A or lower. See https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=191905 for details on power usage on the LS100's.

@DevBiker

A) Any drawbacks or kirks you've encountered doing it this way

B) Good (my fans are LL series)

C) That i figured, i'd do it via the standard "LED Strips" way, just add 1 more due to LED amount difference

D) Channel 1 is occupied by 6 LL series fans (2x 140, 4x 120. don't see any brightness controls, so i'll assume 100%. Plans were to swap my 4x RGB led strips out with 1 the strips of 1 kit. No more

With this info, would i be safe as to power draw? (System specs under profile are up to date, currently only drawing 160 in, 140W out)

Can they be hooked up otherwise to the ARGB header on my Maximus XI formula (with proper color coordination) now that there's that new beta asus motherboard iCue Support?

Edited by Ch3vr0n

I don't fully understand the whole milliamps vs amps thing. I'm not an electrician. Guess what I'm asking is with those 6 fans they are currently combined with the 'classic' rgb strips, can I safely swap the rgb strips without risking power overdraw. Or is there a place on the commander pro I can see power draw?

** edit ** how have you configured things? got perhaps an image of your lighting setup & config?

Edited by Ch3vr0n

I don't fully understand the whole milliamps vs amps thing. I'm not an electrician.

You don't need to be an electrician or an electrical engineer. It's standard unit of measure prefixes ... like millimeter, milliliter, etc. "Milli" means 1/1000. So 1000 mA = 1A.

Guess what I'm asking is with those 6 fans they are currently combined with the 'classic' rgb strips, can I safely swap the rgb strips without risking power overdraw. Or is there a place on the commander pro I can see power draw?

The CoPro won't show you the power draw. You have to do the math. How many strips are you using and what size? Look them up, calculate the draw and see if it's under 2A (or 2000mA).

If you aren't comfortable with this, you shouldn't do it. It works but it's not a supported scenario. Overloading the lighting channel will blow a fuse and Corsair would be justified (IMHO) in denying an RMA. I don't know if they would - they may or may not.

** edit ** how have you configured things? got perhaps an image of your lighting setup & config?

I don't have it running like that. I tried it out to test it to see if it'd work. Those power draw measurements were actually done with a Lighting Node Pro and RGB Fan LED Hub + a special cable that I made specifically to do measurements of the actual power draw of the devices.

Well there's currently 4 standard RGB strips on 1 channel. If i understand you correctly that's 4x 367mAH for a total of 1.47Amps (rounded off, at max brightness). I'd be replacing them with 1 LS100 kit (2 long, 2 short)

2x 990 + 2x 553 totals = 3.086 Ams. Almost double. hmm going full bright white

I don't intend to use them at all white nor spiral rainbow.

currently using the "Cobalt" profile from Corsair's "Lewis Gerschwitz". so do i need to calculate with spiral rainbow values or single color

If i use single color (cobal profile is mainly blue) (2x LS100 long @ 444/each + 2x LS100 short @ 260/each) i reach a value of 1.07 amps which is half an amp LOWER than current draw

calculated with spiral rainbow i'm at 1.41 ams rounded off, slightly lower than current draw.

Can you confirm the math? (math aint my strong point either)

As to the fuse thing, do you mean blowing a fuse inside the commander? My home's electric system? Power Supply? I'll assume CoPro for now, would that simply "break" the CoPro and leave the rest of the lighting hardware / PSU operational or risk cripling too.

Can't feel confident (or not) of trying this until i have all the info :)

The fuse is inside the Commander Pro.

And you should plan the load based on the maximum. I would not recommend powering more than about 60 LEDs from the Commander Pro. And keep in mind that your profiles don't run on boot.

One more note - you may also see a bit of dimming after around 60-65 LEDs. This is due to voltage drop in the strips due to the resistance of the LEDs themselves. The LS-100 kit gets around that with that special cable that connects to both ends - it will supply voltage on both sides of the connection. So if you decide to move forward with this, you'll likely need to use that cable.

only using 3 strips aint an option. I'll do things a different way then. My Cosmos II case is big enough and has liquid cooling ports at the back top. I'll just mount the kit inside and plug the power wire through the back (if it'll be long enough, or remove one of the back io brackets).

I'm not seeing any "special cable" in the kit though. Only a power adapter, 4 rgb extension cables and a micro usb to usb a cable (which i assume lets it talk to iCue for lighting, while the adapter supplies power.

No dimming issues that way on my dual monitor setup as far as i can see.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post but just in case anyone else comes across it I thought I would post my experince with it. Yes it works, I tried it first I only connected the LS100 to the LED1 port on the commander pro, then I went to the corsair software also known as ICUE and set the LED1 port input as RGB strips, then I had to select the number of LED strips I had connected (maximum is 6) so I selected maximum but the strips didnt all light up only 1.5 lit up, so I created a loop that started at LED port 1 and ended at LED port 2 (this could easily be done using the cables that comes with the LS100 and now it works like a charm. Haven't gotten any dimming or LEDs that dont work and im currently using 3 ll120 rgb fans and 7 ql120 rgb fans through the commanderpro.

Step by step

So lets say you have 4 LS100 RGB strips - You would procced to take one of the included power cables, plug it into your commander pro LED port 1, then at the other end of that cable you connect one LS100 strip, followed by another and another and so on, once you run out of RGB strips you take the RGB cable thats included which has the same RGB adapter in both ends and plug one end into the last LS100 RGB strip and the other end into the LED port 2 on the commander pro.

Edited by Roth

• 5 months later...
On 6/7/2021 at 7:07 PM, Roth said:

I know this is an old post but just in case anyone else comes across it I thought I would post my experince with it. Yes it works, I tried it first I only connected the LS100 to the LED1 port on the commander pro, then I went to the corsair software also known as ICUE and set the LED1 port input as RGB strips, then I had to select the number of LED strips I had connected (maximum is 6) so I selected maximum but the strips didnt all light up only 1.5 lit up, so I created a loop that started at LED port 1 and ended at LED port 2 (this could easily be done using the cables that comes with the LS100 and now it works like a charm. Haven't gotten any dimming or LEDs that dont work and im currently using 3 ll120 rgb fans and 7 ql120 rgb fans through the commanderpro.

Step by step

So lets say you have 4 LS100 RGB strips - You would procced to take one of the included power cables, plug it into your commander pro LED port 1, then at the other end of that cable you connect one LS100 strip, followed by another and another and so on, once you run out of RGB strips you take the RGB cable thats included which has the same RGB adapter in both ends and plug one end into the last LS100 RGB strip and the other end into the LED port 2 on the commander pro.

Hey,

I have 2 strips of 450mm so I need to connect them together and then i need to connect one end into LED port 1 and the other end to led port 2 ?

• 6 months later...
On 17.1.2020 at 18:11, Ch3vr0n said:

Jeg tænkte på, om nogen har prøvet at tilslutte disse nye RGB-strips til en belysningsknude Pro eller Commander Pro? Hvis ja, virker de rigtigt? kan de kontrolleres?

Jeg har et dobbeltsæt + udvidelsessæt på vej, og jeg ville elske at vide det

Yes it works really well. Just select external strip. Then you have to tell which one is so it works.