Corsair Community

Vengeance 2000 Noise

Jackwalrus

I have just bought the Corsair Vengeance 2000 wireless headset. I have a similar problem to some other users of this forum but it is more specific.

When using the headset on my PC detailed in my profile I get a quiet hissing noise/ static sound from the right ear cup only. The left is unaffected. (Correction it is in both ear cups) The noise is only present when using an application that is producing audio. For example when using Firefox to view a youtube video there is noise, if I pause the video then after about 10 seconds the noise is gone, I assume the headset is going into some kind of standby mode when not in use.

The noise is most noticeable in Teamspeak since the headset does not go into standby and the hissing is constant for as long as I am connected to a server, this is more than a little annoying.

I have tried muting the microphone input in the sound control panel but the noise persists. If I mute the system sound either by turning the volume roller on the headset to 0 or using my keyboards mute key the noise goes away.

The noise is unaffected by my position when using the headset, I can walk about the room and indeed the house and the noise does not change in loudness. The noise does not go away when the charging cable is plugged in.

I have tried plugging the power cable for my PC into a different outlet, in fact I have tried moving the PC to a different room to no affect.

I have tested the headphones on a PC running Windows XP SP3 and have no noise. I moved my PC to the room with the XP PC and plugged it into the same outlet and I still get the hissing. This leads me to believe that my wiring is not at fault.

I have also tried the headset on a HP Mini netbook running Windows 7 Starter SP1 and I get the noise exactly as described before. The fact that it works with XP but not Windows 7 makes me suspect it is a driver issue. I should probably add that I downloaded and installed the drivers properly on all 3 machines.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm no expert but I'd say you have to just deal with it. It's a calculated risk with buying an RF (radio frequency) headset. The headset picks up atmospheric, thermal, and electrical noise just like a radio. Tune your radio to a station that isn't broadcasting or one coming in weakly (static, right?) It's more prominent with radios or TVs but it's the same principle. It's mostly audible when communicating because there's a lot of dead air but unless everyone's using PTT there's always a signal being passed through during dead air.

It's been speculated that the headset goes into a "sleep" mode after a few seconds of nothing being sent from the dongle. That's why it suddenly cuts out when there's no audio transmitting programs open. Although, I will admit it's odd you say it's only in 1 cup. I have the same issue, but it's in both ears. It doesn't bother me though too much and you cant hear it at all when in game or listening to music so it's fine for me. Dunno, just my two cents :)

I am fairly certain that interference is not the problem since I can use the headset in the same room and get noise on one PC running windows 7 and no noise on another running windows XP.

I'm not too keen on putting up with it considering the price of the headset, if I wanted something to make do with I would be spending a lot less.

• Corsair Employee
Are you using the software in conjunction with the drivers on the Windows 7 machine along with the Windows XP machine? Or are you only using Windows drivers? Do you also get the noise with the mic off by moving it up? Finally, have you tried using only the default drivers in Windows 7 to see if the noise persists?

Correction- The noise is in fact in both ear cups, I just can't hear it with my left ear.

When I run the exe from http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-2000-wireless-7-1-gaming-headset.html/

in device manager the driver version appears as:

Driver Provider: C-MEDIA Inc

Driver Date: 25/04/2012

Driver Version: 7.0.1.55

is this as it should be ?

the noise is noticeably quieter when running this driver instead of the windows driver below.

Uninstalling this driver gives:

Driver Provider: Microsoft

Driver Date: 19/11/2010

Driver Version: 6.1.7601.17514

As I said using this driver the hissing is louder, to such a degree that I can hear this in the left ear.

In windows XP I ran the same executable as above and the driver appears as:

Driver Provider: C-MEDIA Inc.

Driver Date: 26/04/2012

Driver Version: 5.12.1.56

I notice that this is different from the one installed on Windows 7.

I can confirm that there is no hissing noise present when using this system and driver.

I have managed to detect the RF interference mentioned above, this is an entirely distinct sound to the hissing, it is almost unnoticeable and more than drowned out by the hissing. This interference persists even when the PC with the headset dongle plugged into it is off. This is really not an issue, the hissing I complain about though is much louder than this interference. I mention it only to absolve interference as the cause of the noise.

Uninstalling the driver from the Windows XP machine gives:

Driver Provider: Microsoft

Driver Date: 01/07/2001

Driver Version: 5.1.2535.0

When using this driver there is still no noise.

Raising the microphone makes no difference. Changing the mode from 48 to 44.1 Khz makes no difference. I am unable to adjust the balance of the speakers since the "Configure" button in the sound panel is greyed out.

I tried installing the drivers running the executable in compatibility mode for windows XP and the driver installed is the same as the one installed on my windows XP machine but surprise, surprise they don't work on here..... had my fingers crossed for that one.

• Corsair Employee
Thanks for the information. I will forward this to our Engineering department. I am surprised you have hissing in one machine but not the other. As a last resort, can you try the headset on a completely different machine with the Windows 7 drivers? Maybe a friend's PC? Also, have you tried turning off mic boost and disabling on the onboard sound from the BIOS?

I have tried the headset on a HP Mini netbook running Windows 7 Starter, I checked the drivers installed there and it is version 7.0.1.55 the same as on my PC. I still get the hissing on this machine.

I see no mic boost options in the windows sound panel but adjusting the levels slider for the microphone makes no difference to the hiss.

I have onboard sound disabled. I will see if I can try them on a friends PC but it might be a while before I get a chance. Thanks for your reply.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Corsair Employee
Over the weekend, I tried my own pair of V2000 on a new Toshiba laptop and I heard a buzzing noise too. However, when I plug it into my desktop, I did not get it. I also did notice the Toshiba only had it when it was charging as well. The issues some of you may have may be related to the grounding or is of an electrical issue with the device. Try the headset on better grounded machines (like a desktop) elsewhere to see if this is the same for some of you.

Heya Ramguy! I also got this noise, only when charging. What i tried so far:

- Well grounded Machine: Noise.

When i hit myself anything on ground (Case of the Machine, 19" Rack): Noise gone.

- Charger of all Cellphones i got in the past (all 5V USB Chargers): Noise.

When i hit myself anything on ground in this Case: Noise still there.

Today i carry the Headset with me to a complete different PC on a complete different powersource and see what happens. I will repost.

I dont think it is really a grounding issue. I guess is something that the micro catch the staticpower of the one whos carry the headset.

EDIT: This all is only when i charge it while speaking. If it is not connected to usb via the charger cable, it is crystal clear and perfect.

But maybe, mmorpg sessions stay longer than the fully loaded headset! :)

Regards,

Andreas

Okay. Back from my friend. I tested the Headset on a complete different PC in a complete different envoirement. And I'm kinda surprised...

On a Windows XP PC (shouldnt make any difference, imho) at his powersource, i got not

ANY noise while loading and talking. No i need to believe, i got a real ground issue here but i got no idea, where... That will be a funny searching...

EDIT:

Hmm... Here at work its the same like at my home. With the Laptop connected to the charger, i get the noise too (can't take it out of the PSU

right now). Maybe the other OS from yesterday made a difference? Here I'am on Windows7. I checked a cable headset yesterday on my own

PC at home too. This make not any noise while hearing what i speak, even with micro full up...

Now im losing my believe in a ground problem at home again, cause here at work we have a great powersource, even powered from a UPS.

Regards,

Andreas

• 5 weeks later...

Obviously, i encountered the same problem as the rest of u, with static, or noise, whatever u want to call it.

In my case, it was only an issue of volume, i'm not technical in any manner, so i really can't explain more than that i had full volume on the headset, and in windows, and it still wasn't very loud tbh.

As i listened to music through a website, i noticed that the volume on the site was only set @ 8%, and as i cranked that up, the volume in the headphones was too loud for me to handle.

dno if this will help anyone here, but i thought i'd atleast share my experience :o:

• 2 months later...

Hey

I had the same problem with the buzzing / hissing sound when the headset was charging while the microphone was active.

I figured out that the socket i used for my computer was not grounded (old house). I grounded the socket, and now my headset is working perfectly.

The grounding removes electrical noise, which is most likely the source of the buzzing sound.

Are you sure your socket is grounded? If it is, is the grounding good enough?

If you are having a grounding issue, I suggest tracing the grounding wire back to the fuse box and making sure you have a good connection.

If you are missing the grounding wire completely, you need to install a grounding wire from the socket to your fuse box / ground source.

• 2 months later...
Same problem here. For me, if i don't install the corsair driver there is no issue with noise, and i tested this with windows 7 and windows 8. When i install the drivers from corsair the problem starts. It's possible to use 7.1 surround without the corsair drivers? The windows driver version is 6.2.9200.16384, and with this the headset works without noise

I'm getting the same problems listed in my fourm post here: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=121813

same hissing/static noise but no matter what driver i try or front or back USB port or USB 3/2.0 it's still the same, Tried it on a family PC upstairs that also has W7 still got the same problem, tried it on a friends tiny 14" netbook that again has W7 but it just flat out refused to detect it or install the drivers so that's weird.

I'll be attempting to try it on another PC, also W7 if the same problem is there ill install XP on it and report back how it goes.

• 5 months later...

I see lots of topics about it but never a real good solution. Anyone who can help me with this problem? I tried to download the latest drivers but it appears I already got them.

Perhaps its a better option to start a new thread to get more 'attention' or is this better?

Archived