Corsair Community

CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 AND TR3X6G1600C9... Will it blend?

iiviiozzie

.....That is the question.

Motherboard: EVGA 132-BL-E758-RX LGA 1366 Intel X58 3X SLI ATX Intel Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188061

I was told most 3x4GB's won't work on my system due to most memory now being single ranked and 1366 doesn't support those. I want to increase my memory and if at all possible keep the kit I currently have in it (The TR3X6G1600C9)

What's a IIVIIozzie to do?

Additionally, a * Competitor's* site shows that all of their memory (including all of their 3x4GB kits) will work on my system even with my current memory installed. This is of course after using their system scanner. BS or not?

Yeah I saw it listed as compatible with the board I just wanted to make sure it would also be compatible with the current sticks. So if I may ask: Why is it not recommended? Also, Say I wanted to later on get another kit of CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 would there be any difference from doing that from buying the CMZ24GX3M6A1600C9 kit in the first place?

When you mix or add additional kits that have not been tested with each other there is no way to guarantee compatibility or rated speeds. Especially if you add kits a year or so down the line. Chances are the modules will be made with different IC's.

You may get lucky and get them to run, but there is a great chance they will not or you may have to reduce the frequency to below the rated specs to get them to ply together.

It's best to purchase one single tested kit that is the final capacity you are thinking you want to have. That way you are guaranteed that they will all run at rated speeds.

You can try what you like, but if you do decide to mix kits and have problems there really isn't much Corsair will be able to do about it.

Archived