Corsair Community

Issues with 6 QL120, included Lighting Node Core and Commander Pro

madridspotter

Hello!

Last week I built my new system in a PC-O11D case and used 3 QL120 fans which I connected to the included Lighting Node Core (for RGB) and my motherboard (for power). It worked well, but I wanted to have 3 more fans and ran out of headers in the motherboard so I bought a Commander Pro.

Today I received it and after installing another 3 QL120s in the bottom of my case I connected their RGB cable to the Lighting Node Core I had installed already (this Lighting Node was connected to my motherboards USB 2.0 header), and to my surprise they didn't light up.

After some testing I figured out only 3 RGB headers worked on that Lighting Node, 1, 2 and 3.

4, 5 and 6 didn't work with either the newly installed fans or the previously working ones.

As the new pack of QL120s also came with a Lighting Node Core I tried plugging in all 6 fans to this new Lighting Node and it worked, I could change the colors from the iCUE software with no issue.

I then connected the Commander Pro to a motherboard USB 2.0 header, connected all 6 fan power cables to the Commander Pro fan headers and then connected the Lighting Node Core to one of the USB headers in the Commander Pro. At this point I was expecting to be able to control fan speeds and lightning from the iCUE software, but when I booted it up I only saw the Commander Pro recognizing 3 fans out of 6 connected, and had no control over their speed and their lightning.

After this I tried rearranging the fans and no matter what I did I could only get the iCUE software to recognize the same 3 fan headers, one of which always was faster than the others.

The 6 fans were all spinning and had the default rainbow RGB lightning though.

Am I right in thinking the Commander Pro and the first Lighting Node Core I used are faulty? Or is there anything I'm doing wrong with the connections?

This stuff is hard lol.

Sorry for the wall of text and thanks :biggrin:

On the Commander -> iCUE -> Settings - Change all the header selections from Auto to "4 pin". See if that helps with fan detection. If it does not, physically disconnect and reconnect those 3 after changing to "4 pin".

The commander is the fan controller and will always be the source for speed control. The Core is the lighting controller and all lighting adjustments will always be made from that tab in iCUE, regardless of where the USB is connected. Is the Core device showing in iCUE?

On the Commander -> iCUE -> Settings - Change all the header selections from Auto to "4 pin". See if that helps with fan detection. If it does not, physically disconnect and reconnect those 3 after changing to "4 pin".

The commander is the fan controller and will always be the source for speed control. The Core is the lighting controller and all lighting adjustments will always be made from that tab in iCUE, regardless of where the USB is connected. Is the Core device showing in iCUE?

I’ll try now.

The Core only shows in iCUE when I connect it to the motherboard, not when I connect it to the commander.

Some X570 owners have issues with passthrough recognition, but generally not Z390/490. I am running a Core through my Commander (along with a PSU) on my Asus Formula XII and have not any issues with this. Make sure your chipset driver is up to date or possibly reinstall with the Intel loader directly. Current version is 10.1.18383.8213. Sometimes the Asus installers don't get it done.

Some X570 owners have issues with passthrough recognition, but generally not Z390/490. I am running a Core through my Commander (along with a PSU) on my Asus Formula XII and have not any issues with this. Make sure your chipset driver is up to date or possibly reinstall with the Intel loader directly. Current version is 10.1.18383.8213. Sometimes the Asus installers don't get it done.

It's up to date, so probs not that :/