Corsair Community

Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX install did not change temps

polens

I have had my current build for a couple of years, and used the AMD stock cooler with the intent to add a liquid cooler when I got time and funds.

I just installed the H100i on my PC to get temps down. Temps were running at idle of about 44 to 50 C

I have the AMD ryzen 7 2700x with the stock cooler. All stock nothing overclocked.

Since the install of the cooler did not change the temps at all I am baffled as to where to start to trouble shoot. While the temps are not bad per say they should have dropped some. The ryzen master program, speccy and the iCUE all show similar temps. During install of the cooler, I did have a little trouble getting the screw clips on the pump on, meaning it was hard to do and wiggled a bit until I got it settled. Not sure if that is a factor or ??

Unless there is a physical problem or you have some 32 core monster, most coolers (air or water) will give you the same baseline idle temperature. There is only a menial 20-30W to dissipate and they all can handle that without effort. You can see this fairly easily in many professional reviews where they list a large number of coolers and the range is 29-31C across the board. Most differences occur from not standardizing the fan speed for testing and many reviewers test "as it is out of the box", but that is another conversation.

Where you should see gains is at full load or mixed load conditions for a prolonged period of time. The water cooler has a greater capacity to handle heat than most air towers. That may not be recognizable as "I ran Test X for 15 seconds and the peak temp was ___". It should be evident in the average temperature over the course of a session.

If there is problem with the installation and physical contact, you would see both poor idle temperature and limit reaching CPU temps under even moderate lode. Open iTunes, hit 90C. Since your baseline idle temps are the same on both coolers, that seems less likely.

Edited by c-attack

Thanks for the reply,

In my case, my past experience with this cooler is that is drops idle temps down to 29 to 33 ish .. I think there are other things going on as well that are above my pay grade ;) in Ryzen master for example, the EDC (cpu) is in the red, around 96 percent but is fluctuating up and down. At any rate, I will keep researching and see AMD has support info.

It is possible the system monitoring is keeping the cores and voltage more active than it otherwise would. Try Quitting iCUE and also open the task manager and kill and related Corsair services. There will be 4 or 5, but Corsair Service 32 bit and Corsair Service CPUID Remote are the ones that matter. See if this has an effect on idle temps. The cooler can be set to run without iCUE if there aren't any other considerations.