Corsair Community

10 Corsair QL120 Fans: Motherboard Fan Headers - Commander Pro?

tennengr

I plan on having 10 x Corsair QL120 RGB fans + 3 off-brand fans associated with the radiator. 3 of the Corsair fans will be push-pull with the radiator fans. I have a motherboard with a CPU fan header (4-pin), a pump/fan header??? (4-pin) and 5 system fan headers (4-pin).

2 sets of 3 Corsair fans will provide 2 Corsair Lighting Node Cores. Will I need a Commander Pro?

If I read correctly, each fan header should be able to handle 2 fans (maybe 3) for fan speed control. 5 system fan headers should account for all 10 Corsair fans. The radiator fans come with a cable to connect the 3 off-brand fans and appear to be placed in the CPU fan header or the pump/fan header. If this is correct then all fans have fan speed control through the motherboard software ... correct?

The 2 Lighting Node Cores would hand RGB control via the iCUE software for all 10 fans ... is this correct? Do these have to be plugged into a USB 2.0 header or can USB 3.0 headers work also?

How do you get iCUE to number the fans 1 through 10? Does the Commander Pro do this using channel 1 and channel 2? Meaning 6 fans in channel 1 and 4 fans in channel 2?

Please let me know where I am wrong and suggest what is needed. I don't mind buying a Commander Pro but don't want to buy 2. Don't want to buy any of possible.

Thanks

I plan on having 10 x Corsair QL120 RGB fans + 3 off-brand fans associated with the radiator. 3 of the Corsair fans will be push-pull with the radiator fans. I have a motherboard with a CPU fan header (4-pin), a pump/fan header??? (4-pin) and 5 system fan headers (4-pin).

2 sets of 3 Corsair fans will provide 2 Corsair Lighting Node Cores. Will I need a Commander Pro?

Not needed, no. If you want to control the fan speeds in iCUE, however, that's what you'll have to do.

If I read correctly, each fan header should be able to handle 2 fans (maybe 3) for fan speed control. 5 system fan headers should account for all 10 Corsair fans. The radiator fans come with a cable to connect the 3 off-brand fans and appear to be placed in the CPU fan header or the pump/fan header. If this is correct then all fans have fan speed control through the motherboard software ... correct?

Correct.

The 2 Lighting Node Cores would hand RGB control via the iCUE software for all 10 fans ... is this correct? Do these have to be plugged into a USB 2.0 header or can USB 3.0 headers work also?

They can probably go on a USB 3.0 header if you have one of those USB 3.0 => USB 2.0 converters.

How do you get iCUE to number the fans 1 through 10? Does the Commander Pro do this using channel 1 and channel 2? Meaning 6 fans in channel 1 and 4 fans in channel 2?

Each channel is separate. It won't number them 1-20. You can change the orientation and order of fans on a single channel in configuration tho.

Please let me know where I am wrong and suggest what is needed. I don't mind buying a Commander Pro but don't want to buy 2. Don't want to buy any of possible.

Thanks

As mentioned before, the CoPro isn't required. You'd be borderline to put 10 fans on it though but ... it can work as long (I have 10 on one of mine). No more than 2 to a header, however. Alternatively, you can get a powered PWM hub and put a fans that are controlled together on that.