Corsair Community

H80i Fan maximum speed all the time, won't slow down

sakovip

Hi guys,

I bought my H80i like 6 months ago, and this issue keep happening, not every time I boost my PC but at least 3-5 times a month.

Here is the problem, I boost my PC, H80i fans go full speed, which is normal, after that the fans slow down a bit then go up to the maximum speed and won't stop.

I used some temperature detect software and found out my CPU is like 70C, but when I touch it at the the back of the motherboard, feels normal. I thought it was the cooling compound problem so at the beginning I usually remove the pump and put some new compound on it, however, doesn't solve the problem, still exist.

Then I start to use corsair link, I found out that every time it happens, the Pump is not detecting by the Link, I think that is the problem since it is "i" series and if the pump was not detected, the temperature of the CPU will goes up (by error, or really went up) and the fan speed will just go maximum.

But, I just don't know how to fix this :(

Does anyone have the same problem? and how to solve this problem permanently? :sigh!:

Thanks

Exit CL and run my SIV (http://rh-software.com/) utility, post screen shots of the initial, [uSB Bus] and [Link Devices] panels. If there are [Link Status] and [Link Fans] panels post them as well. From these it should be possible to gain some insight into what is happening and therefor how to fix it.

You need to fill in your PC Specs, especially the Windows version.

You ran SIV64X.exe directly from the .ZIP file. To fully work you need to extract all the files from siv.zip and then run the extracted SIV64X.exe. Once you so this the initial page will report far more and [uSB Bus] will include descriptions rather than just numbers.

Looking at [Link Devices] the H80i is not being detected be Windows, further there is no H80i device listed on [uSB Bus] so there is a hardware issue. Double check the H80i USB connection.

I am wondering it CL did a firmware update and this failed and bricked it (http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137266). If this is so you will need to RMA it.

It would also be worth checking the H80i is correctly seated on the CPU. I would remove it, clean off all the old thermal paste, apply new (I use MX-2) and carefully reseat it.

Thanks for the new screen shots. I see you have RAID and/or USB drives and was pleased SIV reported their temperatures/wear levels and that it also reported your UPS. Looking at the new screen shots the H80i is still not being detected by Windows and not listed on the [uSB Bus] page.

If you plug the fan cable on the H80i into the motherboard CPU fan headed SIV should report the pump speed rather than 0RPM, does it? If you can get the H80i working SIV will automatically report the H80i Pump speed when CL is not running.

Comparing the initial SIV screen and what CL reports I am at a loss as to why CL is reporting both the Intel Core and ASUStek Mainboard temperatures as 0.0°C when SIV reports sensible values. All we can hope is CL 3 does better. I have given up using CL 2.7 as it can't report all my CL hardware, GPUs, RAID drives, UPS Temperature, DIMM temperatures, PWMs, etc.. It also uses far more CPU time than SIV and eats memory so you need to keep closing it down and restarting it.

If you can't get the Corsair Integrated USB Bridge to show up on [uSB Bus] I suspect you will need to RMA the H80i. If you look at the [uSB Bus] image on my website it shows what needs to be there.

I find .PNG is better than .JPG for screen shots as it gives crisper images. I suspect you have a EVGA GTX 660 Ti rather than the EVGA GTX6600Ti that is in your PC specs.

Hi!

Today I got the RMA approved, the guarantee is apparently 5 years...:-)

However, getting a replacement will probably take at least 2 weeks.......2 weeks without a computer......are they crazy? So, off to the store tomorrow....

Thx a LOT for Your assistance!

BR from a snowy Sweden

Björn

Hi!

Today I got the RMA approved, the guarantee is apparently 5 years...:-)

However, getting a replacement will probably take at least 2 weeks.......2 weeks without a computer......are they crazy? So, off to the store tomorrow....

Thx a LOT for Your assistance!

BR from a snowy Sweden

Bjorn

Bjorn

Using an advanced Rma does send the item to you first,A charge on your credit card isnt placed until the rma isnt received in a certain time frame which is usually 30 days...

OK, I was bit to fast here....saw a vision of myself without a computer for 2 weeks.....got really scared.....and bought another cooler, which made my computer-less-period only one day.....phew......however.....now I am the proud owner of a new H80(when I get the replacement) that won't be used.....perhaps time to build a new computer? Ouch.....I'll keep the H80 as a backup...if the Cooler Master-cooler gives up.... :-) Am EVER so thankful for Your help!!

BR Björn

Archived