Corsair Community

CMPSU-650TX Fan seems to stay running at full speed

riveter

I understand from the product literature that the fan has a sensor and should regulate its speed with temperature changes.

My two year old CMPSU-650TX seems not to be regulating itself and seems to be louder than before (I recently changed out my SSD and reinstalled Windows).

I regularly blow the dust out of the PC and the noise is not a bad bearing, just higher RPM and airflow than I want.

What I want to know is does the CMPSU-650TX use any intelligence from the BIOS or the OS or is it completely self contained in its temperature regulating mechanism?

I had heard that some power supplies get intelligence from the motherboard and do not know if this on does.

No overclock, no gaming on this PC.

Typical temperatures while using web browser:

CPU 24 C

GPU 34 C

Are you referring to the TX650 V2? or the regular version?

TX650W. Black with gold lettering. I got it in 2010 if that helps. The data label is hidden from view. I will take it out if I need to read the data label. But can you identify it from what I have told you? Which year did the V2 come out?

I ran a torture test and benchmark in Prime95. All cores were fully loaded and running at 3.7 GHz. The system temps went up to a max of 57C on the ITE IT8721F chip Temp#1 (not sure where that sensor is located).

But the fan noise did not seem to increase based on sound.

I don't suppose there is any way to quantify the fan speed or noise without special test equipment, is there?

Archived