Corsair Community

Can the Commander be used as a second channel for different fans type ?

Mark Rutzu

Hi, i have 4 ml pro fans and 2 sp, to my knowledge i can't use both fan models on the node core rgb hub but can i use the led slots on the cp as second channel so i can use my two different rgb fans type at the same time ?

Also i didn't instaled the cp yet but how do i connect the built in 220t node pro on the cp since it doesn't have the cable that should be connected on the cp ?

Lighting Node Pros (LNP) and Lighting Node Cores (LNC) don't connect to each other. They are basically the same device.

For Commander Pro and LNP, those two devices are the RGB controller, but then you also need a RGB Lighting Hub to supply the fan lighting power. This is a small 6 port box with a SATA power connector about the size of a match box. The fans plug into that, then the RGB hub into ch 1 or 2 on the controller (C-Pro or LNP).

The Core is that little RGB hub combined with a 1 channel LNP. In fact, it looks like a larger RGB Lighting Hub.

If I understand what you have... there is a Commander Pro for fan speed control, plus the Core that came with the case?

You put either the ML or SP-Pro fans on the Core (doesn't matter which) and then the others can connect to the Commander, but you need a RGB Lighting Hub to supply the power. In theory you could get two and remove the Core entirely, but I don't see any point to that. The Core will show up as a separate device in iCUE. The fans on the RGB Hub will show up under the Commander ch 1 or 2.

I'm not talking about connecting the two Nodes i was talking about connecting the Node into the CP because mine doesn't have the connectors. And btw i don't know what kind of Node i have, i have the one that come witht he 220T case which control the rgb lightning an it has only a usb header and a sata power cable.

What i wish i could do is to be able to use rbg on both SPs and MLs and i have been told they had to be on a different channel since they are a different type of fans and i was thinking of using the rgb led strip input on the CP to use it as second channel so wouldn't have to buy an other Node

The 220T comes with a Lighting Node Core. It is a different device than the Node Pro and Commander Pro and works in a different way. It is both lighting controller and lighting power conduit. It does not use the RGB connector system. It does connect via USB and will show up in iCUE as a separate device. It only needs the SATA and USB connection to work. SP-Pro fans can stay on that.

If you get a Commander, move the normal fan connectors to that for speed control. The easiest solution is to get the RGB Lighting Hub I linked above. That connects to the RGB ports on the Commander and it is where you'll plug in the RGB wires for the ML fans. The RGB Hub is the power delivery for lighting. The Commander the controller. On the Core device, those two things are in one package, but no fan controller and only 1 RGB channel so it is smaller.

Take a look at Zotty's FAQ below. The naming is messy and overly similar. Furthermore, it is very difficult to tell a RGB Hub from a Core with prior knowledge. They look very similar, but with different wires coming out.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

You would need to connect the node in your case to the USB header on you MB or a Commander Pro, which would then be connected to a USB port on my MB. That would control the RGB for either the SP or the ML fans, not both at the same time. Then you would just need an RGB Fan Hub to control the other fans not connected to the Node Core. They are 10$ and would connect to the Co Pro LED channel and one of the USB ports on it. If you do not have a Co Pro then you would need the RGB fan hub and a Lighting Node Pro to connect its LED cord to and to plug its USB into the MB. The Node Core just combines the two devices, but it can not be purchased on its own as Corsair does not seem to sell it unless it comes in a fan pack or case.

You need a RGB Lighting Hub to make any set of fans work with a Commander Pro or Lighting Node Pro. That's where the lighting current comes from.

On the Core, the RGB hub is already inside the device (or really it is the device), but the Core is a 1 channel fans only thing. The LNP and Commander can do two channels and handle other things like strips and Hydro X blocks.