Corsair Community

XR7 radiator fan question

jrwininger

Has anyone installed (or found images of) a 360 XR7 with push/pull installed in the bottom of the Lian Li XL case? Just curious how much space it takes up at the bottom of the case. Also, it it true that the QL120 fans are poor performers with radiators?

A QL will be effectively the same as an LL for radiator duty. It's not a great radiator fan, but once you get into larger surface area radiators it matters far less. Double up with push-pull, and it really doesn't matter much at all. You might see 1-1.5C difference between purpose radiator fans and multi-purpose fans like LL/QL when on a 360mm.

There are a lot of pictures out there with thicker bottom radiators and push-pull. There are a few on Lian Li's product page mixed in with a standard 27+25mm set-up at the bottom.

http://www.lian-li.com/pc-o11d-rog/

I know given the fact that heat rises that it's generally recommended for bottom radiator fans to be set up to pull air inside the case and top radiator fans to push air out. For aesthetics, I'd rather have my bottom radiator fans push air out. Does it really matter?

Yes and no. In a lot of cases, the concept of natural convection (cooler air sinking/warmer air rising) doesn't really come into play. With moderate fan speed, the unit of air coming in stays in the case a mere second before exiting. You will get proximate heat transfer across physical surfaces, but that will happen regardless of fan position. in terms of fan orientation and location, you are best served setting it up in a way that makes sense for the overall flow. You are likely to have active fans on 4 sides. There won't be any natural convection, except at absolutely minimum possible (or off) fan speeds, which then implies you have very little load and it doesn't matter.

If you do bottom radiator exhaust in any case, the trick is to make sure you have enough clearance below the case for the warmer air to naturally move away. Too close to the desk/table and it just bounces back up heating the bottom of the case and you probably get some transference back into the main chamber. Specifically in regards to the bottom exhaust on the O11 models, I am not quite so keen on it. Assuming you do get good exit flow off the two long sides, what are you doing with the vertical side panel fans? If they are intake, you will pull the recycled warm air back in. The PSU might as well, but less of a concern. Let me be clear - I have not tried this on my O11D since I cannot do it with a vertical GPU. I have done this many times with my 740 Air and the ridges on the bottom of that case have an interesting effect in scattering the heat very well. It does not come back into the rear or front. Side (rear?) intake on the XL may bring that air back in.

So I am guessing you are stuck around the LL "good side/bad side" dilemma vs buying QL. I have a standard O11D and have tried to work this out in my mind dozens of times, wondering if going to the XL would get me anything. I run a passive intake, 2x360 exhaust from side and top. That keeps the LL on the pretty side and doing exhaust. The temps are good, but I could probably cut 2C if I could make the side/vertical radiator intake vs exhaust.

I am assuming GPU and CPU in same loop. 2 x 360? Or 3 x 360? For a dual with thicker rads, my first thought would be top/bottom intake with the vertical and rear as exhaust. I probably would want 6 QL for that and use existing LL for the vertical panel where you can't see the other ring. Doing the reverse will physically work. The water is going all the labor. However, it's hard for me to see a scenario where you are not going to run into the backside of an LL. So if that is what you are trying to avoid, you might as well set up in the most desirable way for you, whether that is aesthetics, performance, or both.

Edited by c-attack