Corsair Community

ICue200T with LL120 as CPU cooler fan - how to connect up?

Drscoop

Hope this is not too silly a question, but...

Considering a new build with a 220T case with an extra SP120 installed on the rear, all off the included case controller. I then had the bright idea of swapping the bland CPU cooler fan for another SP120.

Realised that the SP120 is not PWN so therefore need an LL120 on the cooler instead, but I understand that this, then, can’t be controlled off the RGB node that comes with the case as it’s a different fan type.

Thinking of a build based around an MSI Tomahawk board and with Dominator RGB RAM - if I connect up the case controller on the USB 2.0 header, and the LL120 on one of the 12v RGB headers, will that all work from iCue? Or, even will the LL120 work off mystic light, then the SP120s and RAM off the iCue software?

Oh, if only there was a single standard and this would all plug and play off a single controller... It all seems to be getting a bit complex and potentially expensive just for an RGB CPU cooler...

Advice and thoughts appreciated...

if I connect up the case controller on the USB 2.0 header, and the LL120 on one of the 12v RGB headers, will that all work from iCue?

No, don't ever do that. Corsair RGB gear is 5v. An errant plugin to the 12v on the board is likely fatal. Corsair use proprietary connectors and while people force it onto their 5v D-RGB headers, I suggest you don't. Many of them then experience odd fan problems. There are some 3rd parties that make adapters to convert the Corsair connector into a compatible motherboard connector. I have some from here.

Or, even will the LL120 work off mystic light, then the SP120s and RAM off the iCue software?

Not without a MSI board that has the "JCorsair" header. Even then, it turns your LL fan into a 16 LED strip. You won't get any of the special LL fan effects found in iCUE. My preference would be for the above option.

Also, the 220T comes with SP-PRO 120mm fans. Make sure that is what you are buying and not the "SP-RGB" it replaced. You don't want to mix and match those either.

Take a look and Zotty's guide here if you haven't already.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

Super, thank you for that. The 5v shout is appreciated. The board does have a J-Corsair header but shame that loses all the RGB effects, and I did mean the SP-PRO 120 but thanks for checking.

The mobo lead link is helpful - if I understand right, for an MSI board I need one of these : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Corsair-RGB-to-Aura-Mystic-Light-A-RGB-Adapter/372521827376?hash=item56bc07fc30:g:y2EAAOSwBfhcBCJp and the female connects to the mobo 5v ARGB header? Does that then run off Mystic Light or iCue?

I’m starting to think that $20+ for the fan, plus $10 for the cable and another $20 shipping to the Uk might be getting a bit much just to upgrade a perfectLy serviceable, but plain black, fan!

The problem is you still need a lighting controller for the "one fan". That cable connects the controller to MB RGB 5v header. If you look in the description for that cable it mentions this and suggests a possible workaround. You then connect that cable to this one -- a RGB fan splitter cable. Doesn't matter if you use one fan or two. However, you are now going to great length to connect 1 fan. This is less expensive than getting a lighting controller and RGB Lighting Hub which is your only other option because the Core for the SP-PRO is a 1 channel device.