Corsair Community

XD5 pump/res combo questions

Exmortis

Good day all,

I am just finishing my build and have a question regarding the XD5.

When I started to leak test I noticed the pump would not pump when plugged in with the Molex and the commander pro PWM lead, which was connected to port 6 as specified.

I chalked this up to the CP was not powered and that was causing issues, which seemed to be true as when unplugged the pump PWM lead it just started up and fluid flow is your uncle. Everything went great.

Now for the burning question, I have gotten to windows installed and iCUE. Can I simply power down and connect the PWM lead and have full control via CP?

Is there a trick or any tips to smooth out any known issues?

Anyway thanks so much!

Side note...my my my those Dominator RGB stick look great!

Hey ...

You can connect to the Commander Pro. The trick is to set the fan header on the CoPro (via Settings) to 4-pin/PWM. This will bypass the CoPro's auto-detect, which sometimes misses the pump.

This is actually a good thing to do for all of the fans - set them to 3-pin or 4-pin and it'll bypass the auto-detect. This has an additional benefit of preventing them from going full blast at startup, especially if the fan speeds are controlled by one of the CoPro's built-in temp probes.

As above. And also the pump will run at maximum when the PWM/Tach wire is not connected. That does speed things along.

However, I recommend you do not “replug” the pump PWM connector to the Commander Pro while you have power (normal or jumper bypass). It seems innocuous, I’ve done this many times with other D5 PWM pumps, but there is a chance you are left going to wind up with no PWM control. Covered under warranty or not, replacing the pump is not fun.

Thanks for the replies!

I have a few niggles to fix, one of my fans isn't spinning, must have unplugged it when i did final wiring work, and other such little annoyances. The Dynamic XL is no small case, but man did it get cramped in a hurry!

I appreciate the "hot-plug" tip C-Attack, though I rarely trust that anyway, too many issues experienced in past, just ask Bill what happened with his first Windows 98 demo!! lol

Even with pump at 100% and 10 ML-120 Pro RGB fans my system near dead silent, even when I prime95 stress tested, I know they may not be the best rad fans, but they are quiet.